CT Transit Nova Bus Hybrid Artics

ABQ RIDE

I was wondering, I have read that CT Transit is ordering the first Nova Bus Hybrid Artics to be made.

Now my question is: What engine will these artics use? Nova uses the ISB 280 in their 40-foot LFS hybrids, however, does anyone know what the LFS hybrid artic will use. The problem is that as far as I know, the ISB isn't offered in a 330 hp version suitable for artic use.

Perhpas they could simply go the New Flyer/NABI route and use the ISL 330 hp, however, another possible option would be to use the ISC 330 hp (yes, the ISC is still made), which is a little smaller than the ISL.

Ugh. Duplicate posts means duplicate replies. :lol:

I don't think the ISC is avalible in buses anymore, is it?

Blue Bird still offers the ISC as their standard engine on their All-American RE school bus, and Thomas offers it as an option for the Saf-T-Liner HDX (in addition to the Mercedes-Benz MBE926). As for transit buses, manufacturers haven't offered it since EPA 2007-compliant engines have become available. However, that doesn't really prevent Nova, Cummins, and Allison to negotiate to have it as an option with the EP50 hybrid drivetrain.

As for transit buses, manufacturers haven't offered it since EPA 2007-compliant engines have become available. However, that doesn't really prevent Nova, Cummins, and Allison to negotiate to have it as an option with the EP50 hybrid drivetrain.

Yes it does. If isn't EPA 2010 compliant, it's not going to happen. I think you're assuming that because it would be used in a hybrid and might reduce some emmissons because it is in a hybrid, that it would be allowed. I don't think that's the case.

To be perfectly fair I haven't seen anything suggesting what NovaBus might do for the LFS articulated hybrid. It's not really a question that can be answered for sure because it hasn't been made public and that info would only be known to NovaBus engineering. It's one of those things where you have to wait and see. Even better, it's something to consider before even asking the question.

Yes it does. If isn't EPA 2010 compliant, it's not going to happen. I think you're assuming that because it would be used in a hybrid and might reduce some emmissons because it is in a hybrid, that it would be allowed. I don't think that's the case.

There IS an EPA 2010 Cummins ISC8.3 engine. Read about it here:

http://cumminsengines.com/every/applicatio...C83_school.page?

If school bus manufacturers can offer it, I don't see why Nova couldn't offer it for the LFS Artic Hybrid.

There IS an EPA 2010 Cummins ISC8.3 engine. Read about it here:

http://cumminsengines.com/every/applicatio...C83_school.page?

If school bus manufacturers can offer it, I don't see why Nova couldn't offer it for the LFS Artic Hybrid.

The ISC is listed for a school bus application. Doesn't mean it's certified for transit applications.While it possibly could be used in a transit application, the truth is that it doesn't always work. Individual vehicles might need certain components from a particular engine to meet EPA specs, or a engine itself might have components that work with a school bus or truck but not a transit bus. An example, the Orion V went from ISM to ISL for EPA 2007 because the ISL had components that allowed the V to meet EPA 2007, even though the ISM was EPA 2007 certified.

One issue...the ISC is listed for a school bus application. While it possibly could be used in a transit application, the truth is that it doesn't always work. Individual vehicles might need certain components from a particular engine to meet EPA specs, or a engine itself might have components that work with a school bus or truck but not a transit bus. An example, the Orion V went from ISM to ISL for EPA 2007 because the ISL had components that allowed the V to meet EPA 2007, even though the ISM was EPA 2007 certified.

Also, as far as I know, the major transit bus manufactrers do not currently plan offering the new ISX11.9 engine for their 40-foot and 60-foot straight diesel buses.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
I was wondering, I have read that CT Transit is ordering the first Nova Bus Hybrid Artics to be made.

Now my question is: What engine will these artics use? Nova uses the ISB 280 in their 40-foot LFS hybrids, however, does anyone know what the LFS hybrid artic will use. The problem is that as far as I know, the ISB isn't offered in a 330 hp version suitable for artic use.

Perhpas they could simply go the New Flyer/NABI route and use the ISL 330 hp, however, another possible option would be to use the ISC 330 hp (yes, the ISC is still made), which is a little smaller than the ISL.

they use a ISL EPA 10 with a Allison EP50

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Great pictures, thank you! The bus looks pretty much as expected, though I'm surprised it's numbered in the 10xx series. Not only this is the first Nova Artic hybrid, but the only production Nova hybrid in more than a year.

True. I always thought 11xx it would be in, but then again the order is late. I guess next set will be 11xx or 12xx.