Port Authority of Allegheny County buses

2006 Neoplan Artic

DSCF0033-1.jpg

1999 Neoplan Low Floor

DSCF0104.jpg

I love the quotes on the Neo artics! My favortie ones are the ones on the Navy blue artics and the quote "If you are tired of all the traffic, and you can use and assist, just hop aboard a bus, with a bit of a twist"

And on the Low Floor neoplan I never knew Transit Agencies would/could advertise for other bus companies.

Nice pictures and welcome to CPTDB.

And on the Low Floor neoplan I never knew Transit Agencies would/could advertise for other bus companies.

Why not!? Promoting bus travel would be a good thing. If anything, transit shouldn't allow advertising from car manufactures, car dealers, or anything relating to cars. However, the reality of that is that it would cut significantly into ad revenue I think... judging from the number of car related ads on ETS at least.

Why not? The markets they serve are entirely different. :D
Why not!? Promoting bus travel would be a good thing. If anything, transit shouldn't allow advertising from car manufactures, car dealers, or anything relating to cars. However, the reality of that is that it would cut significantly into ad revenue I think... judging from the number of car related ads on ETS at least.

I've seen SEPTA advertise it in their buses just on on their buses.

• 4 months later...

Here are some photos and Videos I took on a recent trip:

Pitt7004.jpg

Pitt7005.jpg

Pitt7011.jpg

Pitt7024.jpg

Pitt7027.jpg

Pitt7038.jpg

Pitt7039.jpg

Pitt7046.jpg

Pitt7047.jpg

Pitt7052.jpg

Pitt7054.jpg

Pitt7058.jpg

Pitt7064.jpg

Pitt7080.jpg

Pitt7089.jpg

Videos:

5268:

3125:

5533:

5606:

LRV 4318: Red Line through Beechview

5376:

5048: Pure Series 50 action

5651: Unusual sound from a Cummins

3055 on the faithful 61D:

2633: Awesome ride on the G2:

Light Rail Video:

Busway Video:

Bus System Video (Live):

Bus System Video (Music):

• 1 year later...

http://www.newflyer.com/index/2012_11_20_pittsburgh_award

The Port Authority of Allegheny County ("Port Authority") in Pittsburgh, PA has approved the purchase of an additional 40 low floor 60-foot diesel heavy-duty articulated buses. This order was placed using options from an existing five year Port Authority contract with New Flyer, signed August 2010.

Port Authority's fleet consists of approximately 700 buses, including 61 New Flyer low floor diesel articulated buses that were built in 2011. The new 40 bus procurement is anticipated to begin production in the second quarter of 2013 and will be entirely manufactured in New Flyer's US manufacturing facility in St. Cloud, MN. Delivery of the buses is expected late in the third quarter of 2013.

"New Flyer is dedicated to building a lasting relationship with a commitment to support the Port Authority`s buses over their lifetime. We were very excited to win Port Authority for the first time in 2010 and are thrilled that they have decided to acquire more New Flyer buses," said Paul Soubry, New Flyer's President and Chief Executive Officer."

• 5 months later...

Port Authority of Allegheny County received recognition from the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP), which designated the Martin Luther King Jr. East Busway as one of the nation’s highest quality bus rapid transit systems.

ITDP named the East Busway as one of only five systems in the U.S. that meets its BRT Standard, a defining and scoring designation for bus rapid transit (BRT). Port Authority’s East Busway was awarded the Bronze Standard, out of basic BRT, bronze, silver or gold designations.

http://www.metro-mag...brt-system.aspx

(with photo of a red PA D60LFR)

Annie Weinstock, the ITDP's U.S. director, said the East Busway earned points for having lanes dedicated to buses only, passing lanes at stations, multiple routes operating on it and a high frequency of service, particularly during peak times.

It could be improved with off-board fare collection, stations that are more protected from the weather, platform-level boarding and bike lanes, bike sharing stations and better pedestrian access, she said.

Pittsburgh has three of only seven true Bus Rapid Transit systems in the U.S., she said. http://www.masstrans...em-ranks-bronze

More info on the MLK Jr. East Busway from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King_Jr._East_Busway

• 3 months later...

http://www.newflyer....ittsburgh_award

The Port Authority of Allegheny County ("Port Authority") in Pittsburgh, PA has approved the purchase of an additional 40 low floor 60-foot diesel heavy-duty articulated buses. This order was placed using options from an existing five year Port Authority contract with New Flyer, signed August 2010.

Port Authority's fleet consists of approximately 700 buses, including 61 New Flyer low floor diesel articulated buses that were built in 2011. The new 40 bus procurement is anticipated to begin production in the second quarter of 2013 and will be entirely manufactured in New Flyer's US manufacturing facility in St. Cloud, MN. Delivery of the buses is expected late in the third quarter of 2013.

A recent trip to Pittsburgh revealed that these artics are now being delivered and entering service. I saw up to 3332 in service and saw 3334 being delivered. I do not know if the series goes from 3300-3339 or 3301-3340. I saw 3301 in operation so I would suspect that it is 3301-3340 but this would have to be confirmed.

The D60LFR buses should result in the retirement of the last of the handful of high floor Neoplan artics that are in operation. All Classics are gone and it appears that all low floor Neoplan buses have been retired also.

A recent trip to Pittsburgh revealed that these artics are now being delivered and entering service. I saw up to 3332 in service and saw 3334 being delivered. I do not know if the series goes from 3300-3339 or 3301-3340. I saw 3301 in operation so I would suspect that it is 3301-3340 but this would have to be confirmed.

The D60LFR buses should result in the retirement of the last of the handful of high floor Neoplan artics that are in operation. All Classics are gone and it appears that all low floor Neoplan buses have been retired also.

Appears that is correct from the Pittsburgh Facebook page of transitfans.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the photo!

Are their any differences between the 3200 and 3300 LFRs? I'm guessing the 3200s don't have the updated front turn signal look?

There are a few differences like a slightly larger rear destination sign and an altered braking system that is easier to work on and increases stopping ability (says people on Facebook). Both the 32 and 33's have the same front face.

• 4 weeks later...

RIP, the DD50 powered Neoplan AN460's retired Friday. My last ride was Thursday, but saw 2 on Friday including missing riding one because I was on the other side of the street. Last remaining Neoplan's are the Metroliner's and 3100 Series AN460's with DD60:

9273429782_5ee54b9e9e_z.jpg

2nd oldest bus Port Authority in Pittsburgh operates by jayayess1190, on Flickr

• 1 year later...

Instead of starting a new topic for this, I'll put it here

Yesterday was my first time visiting Pittsburgh. The transit scene there is colorful! Here's my video take on it!
And here's a photo for photo purposes
2014-11-28%2B025%2B(1280x960).jpg
Enjoy, fans!
  • 1 year later...

PITTSBURGH (AP) – The Port Authority of Allegheny County plans to introduce new buses powered by alternative sources of energy over the next three years.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports a Port Authority committee recommended last week that the agency purchase 25 articulated buses from Minnesota-based New Flyer of America Inc. for $22.9 million.

The buses would start arriving in December 2017 if the full board approves the purchase at its meeting on Friday.

The contract between the Port Authority and New Flyer includes an option to buy additional buses powered by electricity, natural gas or a hybrid system.

The authority plans to replace more than 20 percent of its fleet by the end of next year.

Source: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/11/14/port-authority-moves-to-purchase-new-green-buses/

6 hours ago, MAX BRT said:

PITTSBURGH (AP) – The Port Authority of Allegheny County plans to introduce new buses powered by alternative sources of energy over the next three years.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports a Port Authority committee recommended last week that the agency purchase 25 articulated buses from Minnesota-based New Flyer of America Inc. for $22.9 million.

The buses would start arriving in December 2017 if the full board approves the purchase at its meeting on Friday.

The contract between the Port Authority and New Flyer includes an option to buy additional buses powered by electricity, natural gas or a hybrid system.

The authority plans to replace more than 20 percent of its fleet by the end of next year.

Source: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/11/14/port-authority-moves-to-purchase-new-green-buses/

The Post-Gazette article needs serious editing. Cummins does not make "electric engines". Especially ones that burn holes in pistons. I suspect the problem with hills is that a hybrid with an ISB 6.7 liter diesel gets overtaxed pushing a 40 foot transit bus up a steep grade. I think they should go to hybrid trolley coaches. Just my opinion, I'm not too biased.:P

Edited by patfromigh
needed quotation marks for "electric engines."
  • Like 1