PGH REG AREA TRANS AGENCY

So here are some PAT updates from a Pittsburgh local:

I cannot edit the wiki so if anyone sees this they can add these to it:

East Liberty Division has retired buses 5439 and 5458

Repowered buses 5201, 5234, and 5329 are all retired and at Harmar

1508 was given to Ozark Regional Transit

and finally, and most excitingly...

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/12020524-74/options-buses-officials

There is a new Oakland-based BRT system in the planning stages that includes restricted bus lanes on either Fifth, Forbes, or both (one way), a new garage the buses will be based out of, and, most excitingly, and entire fleet of new CNG buses!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Port Authority has entered an agreement with New Flyer for the purchase of (2) 40ft electric buses. Looks like a good chunk of funding was provided by the Federal Low-No Program. Link to the board report is below. Reference page #15-16

https://www.portauthority.org/siteassets/board-of-directors/meeting-documents/2019/january2019boardmeetingfull.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Question about artics in Pittsburgh.

Port Authority was an early adopter of artics. From the beginning until about 2010, the artic fleet never got much larger than ~50 units -- and was mostly confined to East Liberty and Harmar (RIP) routes. At least to my knowledge...

Port Authority's fleet is "generally" smaller today -- but artics have a much larger presence, both in real numbers and proportion of the fleet.

Now, by casual observation, artics appear to be running from all four garages.

The question:

Garage-by-garage, in what order did the artic expansion progress? Of course they've run from East Liberty the whole time. Which garage was next? And next, and next? Were there any constraints to parking/storing/maintaining artics at specific garages?

According to Wikipedia, 

Port Authority of Allegheny County 2005-06 Neoplan USA AN460A Transliner Articulated 3103, 3122, 3123 are still active  and they are in the process of being replaced by New Flyer XD60 Xcelsior Articulated buses 

• 3101-3125 are the last old (1982-2000) and new (2005-06) Styling Neoplan USA buses to be manufactured and Neoplan USA will reopen their business in Lamar, CO. 

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this will go off-topic, but is tied in with PAT as an agency...

A little digging found little information on the previous PATrain service in the Mon-Valley.

I tried adding information I could find, and hit a block.

Can someone provide any correct information in what's missing on the table below?

Much appreciated...

from...https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Port_Authority_of_Allegheny_County#Locomotive

Locomotive

Fleet number(s) Thumbnail Year Manufacturer Model CN class Engine
horsepower
Gearing
top speed
HEP generator Notes
6690   1953 EMD F7A         Ex-Wellsville, Addison and Galeton 2200.
6691   1953 EMD F7A         Ex-Wellsville, Addison and Galeton 2300.

Rail cars

Fleet number(s) Thumbnail Year Manufacturer Type Seats Notes
1600-1610     Pullman     Ex-Chesapeake and Ohio Railway, unknown fleet numbers.

On 6/23/2019 at 6:38 PM, Border City Transit said:

Question about artics in Pittsburgh.

Port Authority was an early adopter of artics. From the beginning until about 2010, the artic fleet never got much larger than ~50 units -- and was mostly confined to East Liberty and Harmar (RIP) routes. At least to my knowledge...

Port Authority's fleet is "generally" smaller today -- but artics have a much larger presence, both in real numbers and proportion of the fleet.

Now, by casual observation, artics appear to be running from all four garages.

The question:

Garage-by-garage, in what order did the artic expansion progress? Of course they've run from East Liberty the whole time. Which garage was next? And next, and next? Were there any constraints to parking/storing/maintaining artics at specific garages?

As far as I know, the original MAN Artics from 1979 were spread between East Liberty, Harmar, and West Mifflin. The 1983 MAN Artics were East Liberty and West Mifflin only. When the Ikarus 436s rolled in, those were slated only for service on the EBA, EBS, and EBX (Old P1 and P2). In 1998, an order of AN460s was cancelled by I believe Houston, and PAT acquired those 25 buses. They were spread among East Liberty, Harmar, and West Mifflin again. In 2005 came in the Ikarus replacements, 3101-3125 all at East Liberty. In 2011, the big order for Artics came in. 61 buses came, and ended up at every division excluding Harmar which closed. Harmar's articulated buses were spread among East Liberty and West Mifflin, while East Liberty gave up 3119-3125 and those went to Ross.

So the real order is

1979: East Liberty, West Mifflin, Harmar

2011: Ross, Collier

Currently, Ross uses their articulated buses the least. They only show up on the rush hour routes O1 and O12. Collier's artics only end up on the G2 and sometimes the G3 and I believe the 36. 

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, EQReport said:

Collier's artics only end up on the G2 and sometimes the G3 and I believe the 36. 

Great info -- thanks!

Does Collier run the 28X? Do artics still appear on that route during busy travel times?

I recently rode 28X from the airport on a Saturday at about 2:00pm and it was packed. Could have definitely used an artic...

• 3 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 8:25 AM, Border City Transit said:

Does Collier run the 28X? Do artics still appear on that route during busy travel times?

Collier no longer runs the 28X at all, it's an East Liberty route, so it shares the massive pool of East Liberty artics with routes like the P1, 71ABCD, and most of the East Busway Flyers. 

As for the latest news:

The last 2 2003 Gillig Low-Floors (5221 and 5223) were retired in December 2018

The last 2005 Gillig Low-Floor (5419) was retired in January 2019

About half of the 2006 Gillig Low-Floors are retired

Only 2/25 Neoplans seem to be left in active service (3122 and 3124).

The 6500s are rolling in now, we're getting buses 6501-6559

2 of our oldest hybrids seem to be hanging in the balance, one is definitely retiring (5376), the other is unknown (5373) but requires a lot of money to be made operable again.

Phantoms 1530, 1532, and 1538 were, at the end of their lives, given to Butler Transit Authority and 1508 was donated to Ozark Regional Transit after their devastating fire.

BCTA buses 600-606 are 2018 MCI D4500CT CNGs

BCTA buses 503-506 (approx) are 2017 Gillig Low-Floor CNG 35 footers

New Castle Area Transit buses 1851-1854 are 2018 Gillig Low-Floor CNG 35 footers, while 1855-1856 are 2018 Gillig Low-Floor CNG 40 footers

Westmoreland Transit buses 131-136 are MCI D4500CT Diesel buses, 137-142 are MCI D4500CT CNG buses

The Westmoreland Transit 2018 Gillig Low-Floor CNG 35 footers are 500-504 I believe

Westmoreland Transit Buses 226-227, 229-230, and 231 are retired I believe as they are all 102-D3s

• Thanks 2

OK, reaching a bit further into the archives... a Class of '98 Neoplan artic taxiing into Downtown after landing from the East Busway:

PAT3073E.thumb.jpg.3a145acb7ab3e35ec92c72846a44bd78.jpg

The late 90s Port Authority Gold theme was widely derided by fans and critics alike. Somehow, though, that paint scheme recalls simpler times.

I believe these 'tics were suburban spec -- meant for longer-distance express routes. For a few years, it was somewhat common to see them in regular city service (this photo dates to 2011). As for 3073 shown here, I don't remember which route she was working.

Y'all are likely aware, but there are dueling threads right now... overlapping in topic about late-life Neoplans and Port Authority. Check out the other thread if you haven't already:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2019 at 8:56 PM, Border City Transit said:

OK, reaching a bit further into the archives... a Class of '98 Neoplan artic taxiing into Downtown after landing from the East Busway:

PAT3073E.thumb.jpg.3a145acb7ab3e35ec92c72846a44bd78.jpg

The late 90s Port Authority Gold theme was widely derided by fans and critics alike. Somehow, though, that paint scheme recalls simpler times.

I believe these 'tics were suburban spec -- meant for longer-distance express routes. For a few years, it was somewhat common to see them in regular city service (this photo dates to 2011). As for 3073 shown here, I don't remember which route she was working.

Y'all are likely aware, but there are dueling threads right now... overlapping in topic about late-life Neoplans and Port Authority. Check out the other thread if you haven't already:

Did Port Authority of Allegheny County Transit exporting all the Neoplans to Germany yet? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New Flyer XE40 buses 7001 and 7002 are rolling in. (7001 arrived yesterday or today) They're a new shade of Blue compared to the usual red we're getting. From what I've heard, they are 100% running out of East Liberty and most likely exclusively running the Route 88 "Penn"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

The Forbes Avenue Bridge has collapsed earlier today sending cars and a Allegheny County bus into a ravine. No injuries have been reported.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2022/01/28/frick-park-bridge-collapse-latest-updates/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pittsburgh-bridge-collapses-ahead-bidens-visit-talk-infrastructure-rcna13934

• Sad 2