PRESTO - Ottawa Discussion

sseguin

49 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

Posting of behalf of a friend.

Seems they're building another Credit Card reading system at a Pimisi Fare Gate

IMG-20210223-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20210223-WA0002.jpg

Interesting. Especially since it was introduced to Rideau on February 16th. Guess they are preparing to enable other stations online in stages once it is ready.

Other than that, thanks for posting photos of the installation. 

18 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Posting on behalf of a friend.

Seems they're building another Credit Card reading system at a Pimisi Fare Gate

IMG-20210223-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20210223-WA0002.jpg

I don't see anything there that looks like an upgrade - the gates get regular maintenance, including complete cleanings every once in a while.

In theory, no visible changes are required to implement EMV payments at the gates. The black rectangles hide antennas, which are plugged into radios connected to the computers inside. I was surprised to see them replace the rectangle with a new one at Rideau, but I like it - the black rectangles were confusing and poor user interface design. The radio inside might not have actually changed though, the biggest difference and reason for the change might be to include more feedback LEDs.

• Thanks 3

On 2/24/2021 at 4:31 PM, Loud-Invero said:

Wow, I didn't know they got regular maintenance such as cleanings. :o I thought it was just a closed unit so nothing really needed cleaning.

Yep, they're mechanical and take some abuse so they get a cleaning/lubrication regularly, as well as service calls when the scanners act up or need calibration. A common issue is the two rows of beam sensors behind the black plastic strips become dirty or misaligned, and the gate opening and closing is enough shaking to throw them off.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I had to get a new Presto card as mine cracked.

So I go to Shoppers Drug mart, get a new one pay $6 for, put a regular May Pass on $12? something and $10 cash(so I could get home), the old won't resister on the readers. I found out this morning while trying to get on my bus, tried 2 or 3 times to tap, but nothing wouldn't even turn red, driver asked if card was cracked  I said yes, said I need to get a new card and let me on.

So got home called Presto, to transfer old info on old card(April pass & $17) to new card. Said he couldn't transfer my pass as I had May on it. So now I need to get another Presto card add at least 5 cents(no pass), then they can transfer everything(though he said Presto will give me a $6 credit on my account marked it on my account).

So I have use the new Presto card(1st one)for another day, then use the 2nd new Presto card with April's transferred from old card, till the end of April.

A bit of a pain but hey what can you do. I wish they tell  you all this before buying a new Presto card. BTW when did they change the style of the Presto cards? Old one was the original white & green ones, now mine a redish/purple colour?

At least I'll have 2 extra Presto cards as collectables.

3 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I had to get a new Presto card as mine cracked.

So I go to Shoppers Drug mart, get a new one pay $6 for, put a regular May Pass on $12? something and $10 cash(so I could get home), the old won't resister on the readers. I found out this morning while trying to get on my bus, tried 2 or 3 times to tap, but nothing wouldn't even turn red, driver asked if card was cracked  I said yes, said I need to get a new card and let me on.

So got home called Presto, to transfer old info on old card(April pass & $17) to new card. Said he couldn't transfer my pass as I had May on it. So now I need to get another Presto card add at least 5 cents(no pass), then they can transfer everything(though he said Presto will give me a $6 credit on my account marked it on my account).

So I have use the new Presto card(1st one)for another day, then use the 2nd new Presto card with April's transferred from old card, till the end of April.

A bit of a pain but hey what can you do. I wish they tell  you all this before buying a new Presto card. BTW when did they change the style of the Presto cards? Old one was the original white & green ones, now mine a redish/purple colour?

At least I'll have 2 extra Presto cards as collectables.

redish/purple ? never seen that colour before, ive seen the green, OC Colours, and the Black card . 

Anychance you could post a picture ? I am curious to know what it looks like 😀

I'll try not that good at this.I'll take a pic and post again.

I tried, but can't seem to send it right. On closer looking at it it may be black. I have visual disability and to me it looks like a redish/dark purple. It may be black but to my eyes it appears redish dark purple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

I tried, but can't seem to send it right. On closer looking at it it may be black. I have visual disability and to me it looks like a redish/dark purple. It may be black but to my eyes it appears redish dark purple.

Did you buy the card at a Shoppers or one of the TVM machines?

if Shoppers, I believe they only have the  Black Presto Cards. 

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

I believe Shoppers only have the  Black Presto Cards. 

3 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Shoppers. The more I look at the card it looks to be Black, but like I said I have a visual disability, and when comes to certain dark colours I have trouble with them.

Example Dark Navy Blue & Black I can't tell them apart.

Pretty sure it is the black Presto card. Shoppers did carry green Presto cards years ago, but the black Presto cards have been stocked since 2017 as part of the rebranding strategy. I don't think any store would have a green Presto card today since stores that still had stock can still sell them until they are depleted and replaced with the new stock. 

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, 

Me and my dad are going to visit Ottawa in the next few weeks and we're going to be using public transit during our visit to Ottawa (especially checking out the light rail system). 

I was wondering if the TVMs (Ticket Vending Machines) still have the red and white PRESTO Cards? If they don't, then I guess we'll be using our black cards as it is. 

The reason that I wanted to get the red/white PRESTO Cards is that I wanted to see how the bus drivers and attendants back in the Toronto - will react to the card design that I got during my visit to Ottawa.

49 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Hi folks, 

Me and my dad are going to visit Ottawa in the next few weeks and we're going to be using public transit during our visit to Ottawa (especially checking out the light rail system). 

I was wondering if the TVMs (Ticket Vending Machines) still have the red and white PRESTO Cards? If they don't, then I guess we'll be using our black cards as it is. 

The reason that I wanted to get the red/white PRESTO Cards is that I wanted to see how the bus drivers and attendants back in the Toronto - will react to the card design that I got during my visit to Ottawa.

Yes. TVMs still have the Confederation Line themed prestos. Only downside is they force you to spend $5 to add to the card so per card you're spending about $11.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Yes. TVMs still have the Confederation Line themed prestos. Only downside is they force you to spend $5 to add to the card so per card you're spending about $11.

Thanks for the response (and pardon for my delay on getting back to you). The hotel that we're going to stay at - is situated directly at a Confederation Line station. 

On 6/18/2021 at 12:10 PM, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

A lot of people in the GTHA have Ottawa PRESTO cards, so likely no one will say anything.

• Like 1

So does the GTA have a "Special" Presto card? I'm guessing the RED & White card is exclusive to Ottawa[I think](being sold) due it being the capital(I'm assuming?)

So I know of the original Green ones(those that came out first when Presto launched), the Black ones & the Red/White ones, is trhere any other colours?

11 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

So does the GTA have a "Special" Presto card? I'm guessing the RED & White card is exclusive to Ottawa[I think](being sold) due it being the capital(I'm assuming?)

So I know of the original Green ones(those that came out first when Presto launched), the Black ones & the Red/White ones, is trhere any other colours?

The only other one that I don't see listed is the Union Pearson Express Presto card. It was a limited run which only Union and Pearson Stations sold them in-person. $6 for the issuance fee plus a $10 minimum load back then. Very rare, but I still have mine stored somewhere.

Scotiabank Arena is another one, but they just affix the logo to the Presto card which peels off. I don't really count it because anyone could create a similar sticker and apply to their Presto card. 

Some agencies and businesses request a certain visual look for marketing purposes like the OC Transpo red and white version as you mentioned. Build awareness for the brand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Interesting? Thanks for the info.

You mentioned insurance? Not sure what you mean by that? As in lost or stolen you get a free replacement?

No. I said issuance fee meaning the cost to issue the card. You only get a free replacement if the chip stops working. It doesn't cover lost/stolen or physical damage. 

The retailer or transit agency CANNOT waive this fee. Though there are sometimes special events that waive the $6 fee. Presto Friends and Family was around 10 years ago which they gave out the first 200,000 cards for free. Just one example of how some will issue a card for free. Just have to load value or a monthly pass to use the card. 

On 6/22/2021 at 11:27 AM, Orion 1200 said:

A lot of people in the GTHA have Ottawa PRESTO cards, so likely no one will say anything.

I still have my original green Presto card from 2013. Besides OC and STO, I've also used it on TTC, GO, and YRT, with no questions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 5:29 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Some agencies and businesses request a certain visual look for marketing purposes like the OC Transpo red and white version as you mentioned. Build awareness for the brand. 

The three business ones that were issued in partnership with Metrolinx were all just stickers on top of the black cards (Aecon, Canada Goose, Scotiabank Arena). Only the OC Transpo and UP Express cards are actually different cards.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:56 PM, Orion 1200 said:

The three business ones that were issued in partnership with Metrolinx were all just stickers on top of the black cards (Aecon, Canada Goose, Scotiabank Arena). Only the OC Transpo and UP Express cards are actually different cards.

My green Presto card, issued in 2013 in exchange for my old Ecopass, have plain blue and yellow stickers on it. No idea what they're for. Besides Ottawa, I've also used it on GO, TTC, and YRT.

1 hour ago, Mark Walton said:

My green Presto card, issued in 2013 in exchange for my old Ecopass, has a plain yellow sticker on it. No idea what it's for. Besides Ottawa, I've also used it on GO, TTC, and YRT.

Interesting? I had my Green Presto Card issued about the same time for my ECOPASS, but it didn't have a Yellow Stick it had a Blue Sticker. Could it be the Yellow sticker was for Federal Government Workers, while the Blue was for City Government workers?

11 hours ago, Mark Walton said:

My green Presto card, issued in 2013 in exchange for my old Ecopass, has a plain yellow sticker on it. No idea what it's for. Besides Ottawa, I've also used it on GO, TTC, and YRT.

10 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Interesting? I had my Green Presto Card issued about the same time for my ECOPASS, but it didn't have a Yellow Stick it had a Blue Sticker. Could it be the Yellow sticker was for Federal Government Workers, while the Blue was for City Government workers?

The plain round blue or yellow stickers were used for internal identification when the cards were first issued to the general public. I don't remember what they mean.

On 7/15/2021 at 6:02 AM, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

The plain round blue or yellow stickers were used for internal identification when the cards were first issued to the general public. I don't remember what they mean.

When I picked mine up I was a student, so they gave me a card pre-set to expire on my birth month. The sticker indicated that, so they knew which were which.