PRESTO - Ottawa Discussion

sseguin

14 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Thanks guys for the info. Will be buying a dec pass, it just part of OCT & part of November I'm off so using E-Purcgase for part of OCT * Nov.

No prob.

Just a tip. you can carry a $ balance along side your monthly pass to pay for a friend (on Octranspo only ,Day Pass or single trip) . or in the rare event that the presto machine deducts a fare instead of validating your pass. 

27 minutes ago, CyrusKafaiWu said:

The article is based on this memo that was circulated to City Council members last week, but only made available as an "attached information" to the upcoming Transit Commission agenda.

http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=6941&doctype=agenda&itemid=358009

• 3 months later...
On 2016-10-21 at 9:55 AM, Oc4526 said:

The transfer time is the same as what you would get if you were to get a paper transfer. 

if unsure watch the screen when you tap it will tell you time left on current transfer.

Ps if you plan on riding the Sto don't go over the time on your E-transfer as you can't start a trip using your E-Purse.

Fun fact you can buy a day pass with your Presto card. Just let the driver know before you tap!

With a transfer on the PRESTO card, can one use the same route twice, provided it is in the 90 minute window (for example if you want to make a quick stopover during a trip)? Also, can one transfer to a route that is travelling in the opposite direction?

Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

With a transfer on the PRESTO card, can one use the same route twice, provided it is in the 90 minute window (for example if you want to make a quick stopover during a trip)? Also, can one transfer to a route that is travelling in the opposite direction?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, you can take transit as much as you want within that 90 minute window. Route/direction doesn't matter.

Edited by andreasv
Clarification

16 minutes ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the E-transfer is valid on all routes (even for a stop over)  Same applies for the Sto (as long as your trip first started on a Oc Transpo bus)

• 2 months later...

As before mentioned, the uPasses are now smart cards. And, are now being renewed with STO-looking tap machines. By a simple tap, to change the expiration date to August 31 2017.

• 10 months later...

BUMP!

Ottawans will soon be able to buy and load Presto cards from Shoppers

Ottawa transit riders will soon be able to buy and top up Presto cards at Shoppers Drug Mart locations starting next month.

The cards will be immediately available at Shoppers Drug Mart locations in York Region, just north of Toronto, the provincial government announced Monday afternoon.

Locations in Ottawa, Durham Region and Oakville will follow in April.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

Select Shoppers Drugs in Ottawa now have the ability to Sell & Load Presto cards http://www.octranspo.com/tickets-and-passes/where_to_buy#shoppers

Thank you @GTAmissions1 for the heads up. 

On top, it will eventually be expanded to accommodate Loblaws and Real Canadian Superstore locations.

Will be very handy if picking up groceries along the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

If you look at the list almost all the Shopper Drug store are in the West End of town, nothing in the South,Riverside South,East or Downtown ends of town

It will be expanded to more locations. Most notably, all three Real Canadian Superstore locations (Westboro, Kanata and Orleans) will be having Presto functions.

Takes time to train staff along with install equipment. 66 locations by the end of next month.

A pretty extensive distribution network that isn't served by the sales centres. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Walton said:

Not surprising, since Loblaw's, Superstore, and Shoppers are all under the same ownership.

The only other store that I know that does Presto functions is only Hamilton Fortinos locations. 

In Toronto, it is only Gateway Newstands at subway stations along with Shoppers Drug Mart stores. Especially if heading to the subway station, it is a much easier reach to handle any Presto related functions while on the system. 

Wanting to ensure maximum reach. Loblaws and Shoppers Drug Mart (include the banner stores for the grocery side) easily reach a lot more than the current sales centres and Service Ottawa centres. 

For those looking to buy/load a Presto card at a Shoppers in Ottawa. Givin that it's pretty new, it may take a few extra minuets as the cashiers are learning how to load your card with a hand held device.

Also Prestocard.ca has a more upto date list of new locations as they roll out. 

• 5 months later...

Whalist browsing the Presto website I noticed this.

in the event of a Canada Post labour disruption, delivery of PRESTO cards ordered online and the processing of paper forms could be delayed. We encourage you to get your card in person at a Customer Service Outlet, at select Shoppers Drug Mart locations, at Fare Vending Machines at TTC subway stations, and at select Ticket Vending Machines at GO and UP Express stations. If you ordered a card 10 days or more prior to any labour disruption, it should be delivered as usual.

Close announcement banner
Share your thoughts about PRESTO in our customer satisfaction survey and you could win $100 on your PRESTO card! The survey is open now, until October 1st. You can access the survey by clicking the Customer Satisfaction Survey link.
Cross icon
The PRESTO website will be unavailable from approximately 10:00 p.m. on Friday, October 12 to late in the evening on Sunday, October 14 for a system update. To find out more, see our Notices page.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning a trip to Ottawa―Gatineau and I have a question regarding interoperability.

I want to travel by bus between Glebe and Wakefield on a weekday morning, and come back in the afternoon (schedule seems to match ― that's no problem). I will have to use OC Transpo, STO and Transcollines services to get around.

What is the best fare combination I could use, in order to minimize the cost of the trip and maximize transfers?

I'll have a Presto card handy, previously bought in Toronto.

The Presto e-purse transfer is valid on STO buses, but the card cannot be used to start a trip on the STO unless an OC Transpo monthly pass is loaded on the Presto card.  In a similar fashion, there is a fare agreement between the STO and Transcollines but it only applies fully to monthly passes on a Multi card, though reduced cash fares are available.  Transcollines does not use single-fare tickets.

I think the best option would be to start your trip on an OC bus, transfer to the STO using your Presto card, then pay $4 (cash only) upon boarding the Transcollines bus to Wakefield.  On the way back, pay $5.50 (cash only again) upon boarding the Transcollines bus and the driver will give you an STO single-ride ticket.  Upon boarding the STO bus, deposit the ticket into the farebox and ask the driver for a paper transfer, which will be valid on OC Transpo as well.

Thus, your total cost for this trip should be $12.95: $3.45 on Presto and $9.50 in cash.  Normal cash fares are $3.50 on OC Transpo, $4 on the STO, and $4 on Transcollines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Oh my God does that mean we can finally use our phones as transit passes on both IOS and Android ??!

Edit: Nvm... Says you can't, for now...

On Android if your device is NFC-capable you can tap your card against your phone to load it immediately instead of needing to wait 4-24 hours.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 12/15/2018 at 12:40 AM, OCCheetos said:

On Android if your device is NFC-capable you can tap your card against your phone to load it immediately instead of needing to wait 4-24 hours.

don't have to go to Shopper's anymore? Have I really been wasting my time....? ?