The Death of Transit Photography?

323 Surrey Ctrl Stn

I don't always mind poles in my shots... In this instance, it's not the most appealing to look at, but my alternate version of it came out blurry, and it's perfect otherwise, so it will do. I wonder what kind of responses I'd get if I wikified it? (Which is why I won't).

Personally I would have no issue if the shot of 9400 was on the wiki. The pole is not blocking the bus and adds something to it.

My biggest beef with photos that are posted on the WIKI, are of photos that are blurry, out of focus, very dark.....

Ditto, add subject not centred to that list too. Nothing worse than a shot with the object occupying only one corner of the shot.

Ditto, add subject not centred to that list too. Nothing worse than a shot with the object occupying only one corner of the shot.

That's why I try to post photos on the Wiki with as few intrusions as possible, along with sun angles. I've actually moved my positioning around to more driver side shots.

Here's before:

PIC_0048 (800x600).jpg

Here's one of my current photos taken just the other day:

100_5890 (800x600).jpg

Funny seeing this as it has become a topic in my FB group.

Regarding "The eye of the beholder" comment, I was that type of person (photographing anything at anytime, with or without obstructions) until I realized that the photo quality wasn't as good or downright crappy when using this method. Same thing with backlit shots (photos where you are facing the sun). I feel unless it's a one of a kind photo, photographers should try to capture images with little to no obstructions or where the sun in behind you to get the best possible shot. Also, I do agree with Railbus 63 when you are in a city (living,visiting) where it's a one or two model fleet that you should think about expanding your vision regarding photography. Overhead shots, neighborhood shots, even walking along a section of a line can field you great opportunties. I have upped my game over the last 15 years and I'm proud of how I had to learn to appreciate transit photography and its many interesting aspects.

• 2 weeks later...

Which group? I'm in one with Ramirez, AlexLy and a few others... :P

My group is Metro Transit Archives. I'm not sure if you're there as well. I used to photograph anything, even with obstructions until another photographer made me realize how pointless it was, especially at layovers and terminals.

Funny seeing this as it has become a topic in my FB group.

Regarding "The eye of the beholder" comment, I was that type of person (photographing anything at anytime, with or without obstructions) until I realized that the photo quality wasn't as good or downright crappy when using this method. Same thing with backlit shots (photos where you are facing the sun). I feel unless it's a one of a kind photo, photographers should try to capture images with little to no obstructions or where the sun in behind you to get the best possible shot. Also, I do agree with Railbus 63 when you are in a city (living,visiting) where it's a one or two model fleet that you should think about expanding your vision regarding photography. Overhead shots, neighborhood shots, even walking along a section of a line can field you great opportunties. I have upped my game over the last 15 years and I'm proud of how I had to learn to appreciate transit photography and its many interesting aspects.

I often still do take crappy shots, but most of the time most of you never see those particular shots as they are more for my own reference in case someone says that a certain bus was retired for example; 7805 was retired in June 2008 and I have a photo of it in service taken in October of 2008. There are other reasons as well, but many images are for my own reference to look back on when something is in question.

I often still do take crappy shots, but most of the time most of you never see those particular shots as they are more for my own reference in case someone says that a certain bus was retired for example; 7805 was retired in June 2008 and I have a photo of it in service taken in October of 2008. There are other reasons as well, but many images are for my own reference to look back on when something is in question.

Ditto, mainly take photos of the buses I drive, that way I have a record of the buses I have driven. While I try to get a good quality shot, which I will share etc, sometimes I settle for just a quick shot. There are also other reasons I take the shots of my buses, but that doesn't really need to be discussed here.

• 2 months later...

My group is Metro Transit Archives. I'm not sure if you're there as well. I used to photograph anything, even with obstructions until another photographer made me realize how pointless it was, especially at layovers and terminals.

Metro Transit Archives... Thomas Reeves? I'm not in the group itself, but I know of a few people on Facebook that post stuff from MTA every now and then!

As to the death of transit photography, as a 19 year-old, my generation is barely interested in this stuff. Except for me, camzmac and caseyvill in the Manitoba section (along with a few others on this board, such as Alexander Ly, Andrew Aikman and Ramirez), theres no 18-22 year olds interested in public transportation. Even today while video-recording Winnipeg Transit 1994 D40 #375, I had both the driver and a passenger give me dirty looks. So sometimes, outside factors regarding perception of transit fanning comes up as well. I'll still do it as a hobby, but it'll be hard finding anyone else to do this with in the future... :(

Really? I'm 18 and I've been interested in transit for 14 years. Generalizations and assumptions are not the best move ;)

No kidding. I've been involved in the hobby since the late 1970's and I see many more young people active in transit fanning these days thanks to the internet and the ability to share photos and information online.

No kidding. I've been involved in the hobby since the late 1970's and I see many more young people active in transit fanning these days thanks to the internet and the ability to share photos and information online.

I agree. Without the internet many of us would not have connected. Growing up, I didn't even know there were other bus enthusiasts. I just thought I was 'different' and allowed my parents to make me believe that I was some sort of wing nut, subjecting me to psychological tests and such. Had internet been available in my youth I would not have been subject to such ridicule. And yes, because we can share our knowledge and our photos, the sum of us is greater than the whole. (Or something like that).

As to the death of transit photography, as a 19 year-old, my generation is barely interested in this stuff. Except for me, camzmac and caseyvill in the Manitoba section (along with a few others on this board, such as Alexander Ly, Andrew Aikman and Ramirez), theres no 18-22 year olds interested in public transportation. Even today while video-recording Winnipeg Transit 1994 D40 #375, I had both the driver and a passenger give me dirty looks. So sometimes, outside factors regarding perception of transit fanning comes up as well. I'll still do it as a hobby, but it'll be hard finding anyone else to do this with in the future... :(

And that's why I keep it low-ley while I record, make it look like I'm texting while I'm recording (My cellphone can record in HD)

I find it sad that I had to create a second FB just to host my transit pictures and videos because people would always ask me "What's up the the buses dude?"..

...and not in a good way.

And that's why I keep it low-ley while I record, make it look like I'm texting while I'm recording (My cellphone can record in HD)

I find it sad that I had to create a second FB just to host my transit pictures and videos because people would always ask me "What's up the the buses dude?"..

Oh duuuude, ok so I was with my best friend (she has NO idea about any of this stuff BTW) on the bus heading to a rave Friday, and then "transitboy" gets on my bus. I was near-completely screwed lmao, especially since he remembers me from the MTHA display. She already has some hints though, she saw me commenting around the ETS page, and a few other people on my Facebook just happen to have buses as profile pics! But yeah, I have to be extremely careful when it comes to transit fanning, especially around my friends. My recording though, my phone has no room, but my camera has tons. Sadly, that one really gets people noticing...

I honestly don't know much of the ages of people on CPTDB, mostly cause their profiles never say anything when I decide to look them up. In Winnipeg though, it'd honestly only be me, camzmac, caseyvill and BusRider, depending on when he visits :P

This is exactly the reason why I don't take pictures of buses in the presence of individuals from my school (if I did, I'd have a HUUUUGE collection of Milton Transit photos).

They're very intolerant about this kind of stuff, and I'd prefer not to have to deal with the drama that could spout if they were to see my bus photo collection.

Also another good reason why I never let anybody on my laptop, cellphone or camera. Along with numerous things from SkyscraperPage, 4chans /b/, Facebook and other stuff, friends seeing my collection of Winnipeg bus photos will definitely make me look like I'm insane :P

There are WAY more transit fans now then even when I started 15 years ago.

I agree. Without the internet many of us would not have connected. Growing up, I didn't even know there were other bus enthusiasts. I just thought I was 'different' and allowed my parents to make me believe that I was some sort of wing nut, subjecting me to psychological tests and such. Had internet been available in my youth I would not have been subject to such ridicule. And yes, because we can share our knowledge and our photos, the sum of us is greater than the whole. (Or something like that).

Same here :lol:

Who cares if people around you know your interested in buses.... All the people in my program know, no big deal. Sure some will make jokes but take it in stride.

Not all of us take it that well. After all, we're all human and some take these jokes about our hobbies very well and others not so well.

Btw, I've been watching buses since I was very young back in the late 1970's growing up in Vancouver and slightly recall riding the Brill Trolley coaches. My first photos were captured in late 1988.

Who cares if people around you know your interested in buses.... All the people in my program know, no big deal. Sure some will make jokes but take it in stride.

People's views were much different in the 60's. If you weren't playing with sex appropriate toys or playing with friends, there was something wrong with you. Riding buses didn't fall into those categories.

Because high school students are ignorant prats that will make your life a living hell for not conforming to their standards.