'# 1310' Tropical Vacation'

This is the stuff that urban legends are made of but the headline and photo below (top) that appeared in the April 1st. 1947 edition of the New York Times was no legend, myth, publicity stunt or April fools joke - it was real and I remember when it happened.

The bus, a one month old 1947 GM TDH 4507 with Surface Transportation System of New York fleet number 1310, was 'busnapped' by its driver and taken 1,500 miles to Hollywood, Florida where it was found three days later abandoned and unharmed.

The driver, who was arrested at a local race track while awaiting money that he had wired his boss for to return to New York, said that he had had enough and just wanted to get away (and what better way to do so than by bus?).

As you can see in the lower frame, # 1310 soon returned from its tropical vacation and spent the rest of its mundane life on the streets of the Bronx.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

NEWSPAPER_2.jpg

STS1310_1947TDH4507__Bx42_WchstrSq_7Oct62.jpg

LOL :P

My question is: why didn't the police or highway patrol in one of the states between NY and FL notice a city bus heading down their roads? This was before Interstates, so he probably would have had to drive through several cities and towns on his way to the sunny south... :o

LOL :P

My question is: why didn't the police or highway patrol in one of the states between NY and FL notice a city bus heading down their roads? This was before Interstates, so he probably would have had to drive through several cities and towns on his way to the sunny south... :P

Tom,

Very interesting question; in the article that accompanied the photo and headline (and which was too fuzzy to print), it was pointed out that an alarm was put out by New York police almost immediately after it was realized that the bus was stolen.

Unfortunately, Western Union Telegram was the main means of communication in those days and most went unnoticed by officials along the route which was probably U.S. 1 at the time.

The police in Florida did notice the bus but, because the driver had 'SPECIAL' on the destination sign, they all thought it was a charter from New York!

There was a funny line at the end of the piece that said the the Florida Police asked the owner in New York whether the driver should bring back the bus himself to which the owner replied "Hell No, I'll send someone for it"

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

This is the stuff that urban legends are made of but the headline and photo below (top) that appeared in the April 1st. 1947 edition of the New York Times was no legend, myth, publicity stunt or April fools joke - it was real and I remember when it happened.

The bus, a one month old 1947 GM TDH 4507 with Surface Transportation System of New York fleet number 1310, was 'busnapped' by its driver and taken 1,500 miles to Hollywood, Florida where it was found three days later abandoned and unharmed.

The driver, who was arrested at a local race track while awaiting money that he had wired his boss for to return to New York, said that he had had enough and just wanted to get away (and what better way to do so than by bus?).

As you can see in the lower frame, # 1310 soon returned from its tropical vacation and spent the rest of its mundane life on the streets of the Bronx.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

NEWSPAPER_2.jpg

STS1310_1947TDH4507__Bx42_WchstrSq_7Oct62.jpg

A post script to the above article;

Thanks to British Pathe News and my good friend HartBus at BusTalk, we have two more great photos of Surface # 1310 in the midst of its 'busnapping' episode to Florida in 1947.

Pay particular attention to the top image in which I believe Mr. Cimillo (the driver) is being delivered to the Manhattan House of Detention downtown (that's right - they drove him back to New York on his own bus!).;

Take note of the rectangular shaped fixture just to the right of the left stop light and which I have mentioned numerous times as also appearing on the 25 4507's diverted from Surface to Green Line.

This was a milk glass etched with the word 'BACKING' and when we would go into reverse it would both flash on and off and beep - I have never yet found another GM Old Look that had this option and this is the first time I've been able to illustrate it.

The lower frame was taken as # 1310 was making its way back to New York.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

SURFACE_1310_3.jpg

SURFACE_1310_4.jpg