6 hours ago, soo8513 said:

QUESTION:  I`m a senior. When I purchased ny PRESTO card four years ago I had it set to SENIOR by showing my driver`s licence to the GO ticket agent at GO Meadowvale.  Since then Burlington, Oakville, MiWay, Durham, YRT, TTC, Brampton all recognize that I`m a SENIOR and I pay senior rates.

The UP Express PRESTO website seems to indicate that I require to do a UP Express registration if I wish to receive SENIOR fare discounts.

Is PRESTO and PRESTO-UP two different organizations

You should get charged the senior rate. My father took UP in the summer and was deducted a senior fare without having to register again.

Lansdowne Bridge Work Continues this Weekend

UP Express service will be impacted

TORONTO: April 12, 2016 – As part of our plan to expand regional GO Transit service, we will be doing further work on Lansdowne Bridge this coming weekend. As a result of the construction work, UP Express service will be impacted this weekend including periods of 30 minute service and intermittent periods of rail shutdown. Airport travellers and local commuters are encouraged to plan ahead and check the website for service impacts and alternatives.

The work includes replacing two bridge spans on the north side of the Lansdowne Avenue Bridge as well as upgrading the bridge abutments. Bridge replacement construction will begin Friday April 15 until Sunday April 17 and can only be completed when there is minimal or no train activity.

When tracks for UP are shut down, airport customers will be able to catch a replacement bus service between Union and Pearson stations. Bus service will not be provided at Bloor or Weston Stations during rail shutdown. Customers should check the website for further details before heading out. Keep informed by following @UPexpress on Twitter or Facebook or by calling customer service at 1-844-438-6687.

We are making every effort to minimize the planned service disruption while we complete the necessary bridge work. Metrolinx appreciates customers’ patience and understanding.

Details of Service Impacts:

Fri. April 15

Regular service until 8pm

8pm to 1:00am – Train service suspended

Sat. April 16

5:30 to 2 pm – 30 minute service

2pm to 1:30 am – Train service suspended

Sun. April 17

5:30 am to 11:00am – Train service suspended

11:00 am to 1:30am – 30 minute service

Mon. April 18

Regular 15 minute service resumes

I was at Bloor station today and watched over 2 dozen Union riders get on the UPX, that was haft full and about 10 minutes before the GO train arrive.

That 15 minute service with the same GO fare has done well for UPX, but drops the GO numbers down.

4 hours ago, drum118 said:

I was at Bloor station today and watched over 2 dozen Union riders get on the UPX, that was haft full and about 10 minutes before the GO train arrive.

That 15 minute service with the same GO fare has done well for UPX, but drops the GO numbers down.

I think it's a good thing. It creates more capacity on the GO trains for the people who actually needs to go further than Weston. Although the trains at 4pm are never full. Probably good for the busy 5-6pm period. The 7am inbound trains aren't that full either. 

I was on the GO train last night around 5:30 passing Bloor station and spotted a UP Express train pulling into the station signed BLOOR.  I didn't even know that they could short-turn those trains!  Is this a regular occurrence or did I catch something that doesn't normally happen (or did the operator punch in the wrong code?!).  I guess they're signed when they leave Pearson, so if you were heading downtown you'd know not to board this particular train.

In the event of a subway shutdown, and Metrolinx had the capacity to run extra trains, could they do short-turn runs between Union and Bloor?

The signalling is fully bidirectional so technically they can short turn a train anywhere. The bottleneck in your scenario would likely be the single platform at Union.

The UPX is actually somewhat annoying of you wait at Weston. They have 3 platforms and trains can technically show up anywhere since they are bidirectional. One would have to check the screen before proceeding to the platform.

If someone is coming from the north side of the street. The bridge leads to platform 3 (outer side). They'll have to cross through the tunnel afterwards.

In rush hour, trains could be held up at Union.

Hey guys. Short turning or departing immediately is only done if the trains are late. Sometimes after signal, traffic or switch issues you will find trains all back to back. 

As for platforms. Yeah they switch all the time usually were on tracks 2 and 3 in the morning and around 1400 switch tracks or directions but use the same tracks. At night they usually start to use track one as well. 

Very important to look at the tracks on the monitors all the time. Even if there is a stuck train somewhere we will need to go around it somehow. 

On 04/01/2017 at 5:43 PM, Gil said:

I was on the GO train last night around 5:30 passing Bloor station and spotted a UP Express train pulling into the station signed BLOOR.  I didn't even know that they could short-turn those trains!  Is this a regular occurrence or did I catch something that doesn't normally happen (or did the operator punch in the wrong code?!).  I guess they're signed when they leave Pearson, so if you were heading downtown you'd know not to board this particular train.

In the event of a subway shutdown, and Metrolinx had the capacity to run extra trains, could they do short-turn runs between Union and Bloor?

As an operator we have no codes. The gsr in the middle just logs on a trip number and the rest is automatic. 

We never short turn at bloor. It would mean getting paper work from the rtc and operating at way slower speeds for a bit. Would just not be efficient but can yes still happen. 

• Like 1