The original plan was to have the SRT running by 2015. The only issue was by now, design was to be well underway and construction was to start next year or the year after. When Metrolinx took over ownership of the line conversion and extension, they only delayed construction due to cut funding, part of their 5 in 10 plan. Design and construction wise, the SRT could have been completed within the original timeline.
Oh I'm quite sure some organisations could have gotten it done - just not Metrolinx. Given the M-8 series are a Kawasaki project, it's hard to see them clearing a CanCon hurdle of any size, even if Metrolinx care less about that than Toronto City Council, but maybe an evolution of the M-7 with 25kV overhead traction could be done quickly - if the 25kV supply can be done quickly...

Dan -

I didn't actually know TRE were finally deBudding - I did a bit of reading after I read your post and note that they will still be bombing around Texas until late 2012, just in Denton County as the interim A-Train stock pending the Stadlers.

As for the baggage doors - I'm not so well versed in RDC lore so am not clear on whether the various RDC-x types were structurally dissimilar, and thus whether those available from IRSI would be mid-door capable.

I didn't know that 80mph was possible as far south as West Toronto, although since it's likely Westoners will get a stop as the price of the project, it's not likely to be doing 80 much east of Etobicoke North I suppose.

Oh I'm quite sure some organisations could have gotten it done - just not Metrolinx. Given the M-8 series are a Kawasaki project, it's hard to see them clearing a CanCon hurdle of any size, even if Metrolinx care less about that than Toronto City Council, but maybe an evolution of the M-7 with 25kV overhead traction could be done quickly - if the 25kV supply can be done quickly...

The carbody could be built just about anywhere - in the grand scheme of things, it only seems to be about 25% of the value of the car. The "guts" seem to be where all of the money is at.

As for the baggage doors - I'm not so well versed in RDC lore so am not clear on whether the various RDC-x types were structurally dissimilar, and thus whether those available from IRSI would be mid-door capable.

Admittedly I don't know how similar or dissimilar they were either - but I have seen instances where railroads and rebuilders cut new doorways into the sides of the cars, so it seems obvious to me that it can certainly be done.

I didn't know that 80mph was possible as far south as West Toronto, although since it's likely Westoners will get a stop as the price of the project, it's not likely to be doing 80 much east of Etobicoke North I suppose.

Says who? If a GO train can get up to 60 heading eastbound from Exhibition, there's no reason why the quicker-accelerating RDCs (or whatever they choose) can't get to up to 80 before having to slow down for the Weston "Tunnel" and its PSO.

Dan

The alternative would be a JFK-Airtrain like shuttle to the mainline at Malton or Woodbine with Metrolinx LRVs but it looks like end to end heavy rail is the only option on the table, which is a pity since I'd rather see GO and VIA use the slots into Union for long trains which serve both local and regional ends rather than those slots being occupied by trains which can never be longer than 4 carriages due to limitations of the platform box GTAA has allowed.

By "slots" I assume you mean platform. The Air Rail service will have its own exclusive platform, located west of the trainshed, adjacent to the old CN baggage building. If you're walking through the Skywalk, it will be in a similar place to where the Goodlife Fitness is/was, which is also near the Porter pre-boarding check-in centre.

I just drew this up for anyone who is still wondering about the future platform location. This is based off on consultation and drawings that I have seen. This is not 100% accurate, but is pretty close.

http://tinyurl.com/pearson-airtrain

By "slots" I assume you mean platform. The Air Rail service will have its own exclusive platform, located west of the trainshed, adjacent to the old CN baggage building. If you're walking through the Skywalk, it will be in a similar place to where the Goodlife Fitness is/was, which is also near the Porter pre-boarding check-in centre.

I just drew this up for anyone who is still wondering about the future platform location. This is based off on consultation and drawings that I have seen. This is not 100% accurate, but is pretty close.

http://tinyurl.com/pearson-airtrain

That position would create Platform 2. 1 and 2 if they plan on using both sides of the track.

If you are going to block Track 1, then why not just use the track 1 platform? It has direct access to the GO concourse.

I have my doubts it'll be given a platform number. Maybe unofficially it'll be known as 2, and the old siding (former host to a Governor Generals car, iirc) would be 1.

But I still think they wanted to do it so 1 and 2 were the subway station, for some unknown reason.

Wonder what the expanded streetcar loop will be? that'll have 4 tracks (if you could platforms anyway).

If you are going to block Track 1, then why not just use the track 1 platform? It has direct access to the GO concourse.

They aren't blocking track 1. If you look closely, this platform will be located immediately north of it, at the west end of the station.

I have my doubts it'll be given a platform number. Maybe unofficially it'll be known as 2, and the old siding (former host to a Governor Generals car, iirc) would be 1.

Nope. The "Fence Track" where private cars are stored will soon be history. A new mainline track will be put through there, through the Flyunder and eventually to Exhibition Station.

The first track in the trainshed is still going to be Track 1.

But I still think they wanted to do it so 1 and 2 were the subway station, for some unknown reason.

Officially, that's the plan - the University-Spadina subway platform will be Platform 1, and the Yonge platform will be Platform 2. Now, whether the TTC uses those numbers is another story.

Dan

• 6 months later...

So much for RDC's running Blue 22...

Metrolinx to spend $53-million on 12 Japanese diesel trains

Globe and Mail

A dozen new clean diesel trains are officially on their way to the Union-Pearson rail line at roughly half the original estimate, according to the province’s regional transportation authority.

The Metrolinx board voted Friday to spend U.S. $53-million on 12 vehicles built by the U.S. arm of Japanese train-maker Sumitomo Corporation. The deal includes an option to buy six more at $22-million.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nation...article1913389/

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Construction of rail service to Pearson airport begins in spring

Construction on an express rail service connecting downtown Toronto to Pearson International Airport will begin this spring, Premier Dalton McGuinty announced Monday.

The air rail spur line will shuttle passengers between Union Station and a new passenger station at the airport’s Terminal 1.

The project is expected to create and support more 1,200 jobs and is slated for completion by summer 2014.

"For so many people [Pearson] is the first impression they get of our province and our country. Being able to get to the centre of our largest city in a fast efficient way is part of that very first impression," McGuinty said, adding the connection will be ready in time for the 2015 Pan Am Games.

The link will also have a significant impact on congestion, removing approximately 1.2 car trips in its first year of operation, McGuinty stressed.

The line is being built by AirLINX Transit Partners Inc., a consortium between Aecon Construction and Materials Limited and Dufferin Construction Co., overseen by Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario.

AirLINX won the contract through an open, fair and competitive procurement process, the province said on its website.

When completed, travel time between Union Station and Pearson will be approximately 25 minutes.

More than five million people travel between downtown Toronto and Pearson International Airport and that number is expected to reach nine million by 2020.

Funny, the map depicted in the Star's coverage is an allignment I would have preferred over the one that is "roughly paralleling Hwy. 409 from the 401 to Pearson" as it would essentially be a straight run from Malton all the way to Pearson. No weaving over, under and around things. Plus Malton station already exists, just upgrade the facilities rather than build something from scratch at Woodbine.

5cc6c06a4d01a9655763769afc5c.jpeg

Funny, the map depicted in the Star's coverage is an allignment I would have preferred over the one that is "roughly paralleling Hwy. 409 from the 401 to Pearson" as it would essentially be a straight run from Malton all the way to Pearson. No weaving over, under and around things. Plus Malton station already exists, just upgrade the facilities rather than build something from scratch at Woodbine.

5cc6c06a4d01a9655763769afc5c.jpeg

Except that the map is quite incorrect.

Malton Station is close to the intersection of Airport and Derry - and is about 1500 meters west of the 427. Which happens to be where the branch line will split off to the Airport.

Dan

The best one is the EA, which had the preliminary drawing plates for the alignment.

There were some fantastic documents, plans, renderings, on that Weston NIMBY site ... a great archive of stuff. Might still be there ... if someone wants the details.

• 7 months later...

Call me a skeptic, but I say give it 5 years, and Metrolinx will release studies showing that boardings at Weston Station are slim to nil for the Pearson Express, and that the stop will be relocated to Eglinton in time for the opening of the Crosstown line.

Thoughts?

Call me a skeptic, but I say give it 5 years, and Metrolinx will release studies showing that boardings at Weston Station are slim to nil for the Pearson Express, and that the stop will be relocated to Eglinton in time for the opening of the Crosstown line.

Thoughts?

Skeptic? It's hard to find anyone (outside of Weston) who doesn't believe this is exactly what will happen! Unless they change the fare from Weston to downtown from being in the $20-range to something competitive with GO and TTC.

Thoughts?

Are you then saying Metrolinx got it all wrong and construction of the new Weston station and all related improvements are for naught and will actually release information confirming that fact?