Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority

Nabinut

On 2/18/2022 at 2:53 PM, chasbo2 said:

I noticed MBTA did a groundbreaking ceremony on their new qunicy garage two days. So I guess this means the new flyer D40LF's are now on their last heels of service:(

The next new 40-foot bus order is for 160 hybrids for delivery in 2023 and 2024, which would replace the remaining Neoplan AN440LF diesels and approximately the first 100 D40LF's, so at least some of this model will make it to 2025 at minimum. 

On 2/20/2022 at 8:45 AM, New Yorker 2001 said:

Are these confirmed to be more XDE40s?

It would not surprise me if they were to be more XDE40s but I'm not sure why MBTA is going for Proterra electric buses. I've seen a lot of agencies including chicago purchase at least 20 models from this brand.

On 2/20/2022 at 8:45 AM, New Yorker 2001 said:

Are these confirmed to be more XDE40s?

Not sure, but I'll be surprised if they go with anyone but New Flyer.

10 hours ago, chasbo2 said:

It would not surprise me if they were to be more XDE40s but I'm not sure why MBTA is going for Proterra electric buses. I've seen a lot of agencies including chicago purchase at least 20 models from this brand.

The electric bus order hasn't been placed yet.

41 minutes ago, chasbo2 said:

Nope. Not anymore. They got rid of those and replaced them with diesel electric buses

Not so fast.  The trackless trolleys are still running Monday through Saturday on routes 71, 73 and 77A, but only until March 12th. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2022 at 12:23 PM, New Yorker 2001 said:

Those buses been out since 2004 and will probably deserve a much needed retirement.

The 4100's are low-mileage buses thanks to reduced vehicle requirements (no more 72 Huron or 77A North Cambridge service), minimal use on weekends, and construction-related dieselization of trolley routes during their lifetime. They do appear to be in great shape - 4104 was used two weeks ago on a fantrip and looked and rode great.  They could easily have another 5 to 10 years of service with proper maintenance. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Didn’t know that (haven’t done much MBTA). So Charlestown will do the routes from this point on? 

Charlestown Garage is essentially two garages in one, with operators assigned to one of two districts (also known as 'rating stations' in MBTA terminology).  The 'Charlestown' district comprises the routes which operated out of the original Charlestown Garage plus the Fellsway Garage routes and some routes from the defunct Eagle Street garage like the 111.  The 'Somerville' district (also known as the Bennett St., rating station) comprises the routes which operated out of the closed Somerville garage plus the North Cambridge trackless routes.  The only change going forward is that operators will pull Xcelsior hybrids in and out of Charlestown instead of Neoplan TT's from North Cambridge. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

Charlestown Garage is essentially two garages in one, with operators assigned to one of two districts (also known as 'rating stations' in MBTA terminology).  The 'Charlestown' district comprises the routes which operated out of the original Charlestown Garage plus the Fellsway Garage routes and some routes from the defunct Eagle Street garage like the 111.  The 'Somerville' district (also known as the Bennett St., rating station) comprises the routes which operated out of the closed Somerville garage plus the North Cambridge trackless routes.  The only change going forward is that operators will pull Xcelsior hybrids in and out of Charlestown instead of Neoplan TT's from North Cambridge. 

That's very interesting indeed. So this is like a JFK/FR and MF/RVC depot type situation?

On 3/13/2022 at 11:24 AM, New Yorker 2001 said:

That's very interesting indeed. So this is like a JFK/FR and MF/RVC depot type situation?

I'm not sure, do those operators bid on work that could run out of either depot?

On the MBTA, the Cabot and Albany St. garages also comprise a single rating station with a common pool of operators.  Albany St. operates weekdays only and it's routes like the 57 Watertown-Kenmore are run on evenings and weekends with Cabot buses.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...