Taxi's in the Bus Bay at Charles & Gaukel!

I say we add all the taxi company dispatch numbers to the GRT Radio. And I laughed that day when I saw GRT came up with the idea to put stickers to to the phones that read "GRT RADIO". :)

From what I've heard, the Supervisors have constantly called the taxi companies to request that they do not 'wait' there! (I truly am beginning to believe that these guys can't read, or understand English!) Even By-Law Enforcement has been called! Seems like a "cat & mouse" game ..................... sit there and wait, and hopefully By-Law won't come by and make me move before I get a fare!

Not to be racist, but I've seen and taken some cabs and most drivers look Serbian or Albanian, etc. But most of them look young, they should be able to read signs....

I say we add all the taxi company dispatch numbers to the GRT Radio. And I laughed that day when I saw GRT came up with the idea to put stickers to to the phones that read "GRT RADIO". :)

The stickers went on because people were complaining that drivers were talking on the phone. I don't know who'd think what looks like a handset from an old rotary dial phone is a cell phone, but people did. It's easier to put a bunch of 5 cent stickers on than try to reason with people.

Seriously, as long as the cabbies are moving out of the bay when you are pulling in, what harm is there for them to sit there?

I see this as a total non-event.

There are far more important issues that we should be paying attention to.

Yeah but when they do move out of the way I get the finger and alot of yelling, cursing and swearing and I don't put up with that crap from the customers why should I put up with it from the cabbies.

Yeah but when they do move out of the way I get the finger and alot of yelling, cursing and swearing and I don't put up with that crap from the customers why should I put up with it from the cabbies.

Why would you argue with a (literally) huge honking bus? Come on, people.

Why would you argue with a (literally) huge honking bus? Come on, people.

Believe it or not but they do. For some reason they think it's thier right to "stop" there. To me if some one stops and turns of thier car then puts the seat back and takes a nap or gets out of the car and goes to talk to another personfor 20-30 minutes, thats parking.

City of Kitchener parking bylaws (City of Waterloo was basically the same):

http://www.kitchener.ca/city_hall/departme...ffic_bylaw.html

http://www.kitchener.ca/city_hall/departme...t/park_reg.html

Region of Waterloo Taxi-cab bylaws.

http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/regio...pdf?openelement

Highway Traffic Act.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/...tes_90h08_e.htm

The whole thing should be clear as mud now!

The stickers went on because people were complaining that drivers were talking on the phone. I don't know who'd think what looks like a handset from an old rotary dial phone is a cell phone, but people did. It's easier to put a bunch of 5 cent stickers on than try to reason with people.

Both, very well said. :P

Report them for abuse :P

City of Kitchener parking bylaws (City of Waterloo was basically the same):

http://www.kitchener.ca/city_hall/departme...ffic_bylaw.html

http://www.kitchener.ca/city_hall/departme...t/park_reg.html

Region of Waterloo Taxi-cab bylaws.

http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/regio...pdf?openelement

Highway Traffic Act.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/...tes_90h08_e.htm

The whole thing should be clear as mud now!

Do you think that these guys can really read? I would highly doubt that any of them have read the Taxi Cab By-Laws. These guys can't even read a "BUSES ONLY" sign! (Just take a look at the sorry bunch some day ..................)

Hmmmm, Maybe we should park an "Out of Service" bus in the 'taxi stand' area? See how they like that! LOL. Let them sit back a block and wait for their fares, 'cause that's what they seem to like doing now.

Hmmmm, Maybe we should park an "Out of Service" bus in the 'taxi stand' area? See how they like that! LOL. Let them sit back a block and wait for their fares, 'cause that's what they seem to like doing now.

Now that is a good idea!!!

If the cabs are there just park the bus alongside them, trapping them in. What will they do? Complain to the police? Complain to the city? If anything the lose of revenue from being blocked in would soon give them the message.

If the cabs are there just park the bus alongside them, trapping them in. What will they do? Complain to the police? Complain to the city? If anything the lose of revenue from being blocked in would soon give them the message.

Yes, That is a great idea, but "we", as in the GRT driver, would be blocking traffic on Charles Street, and that is not the image we want to project.

Yeah Gotta love the guys from Cherry.

I love "anybody" who will park a bus there!

Yes, That is a great idea, but "we", as in the GRT driver, would be blocking traffic on Charles Street, and that is not the image we want to project.

True, but if the police are called, or anyone complains, just point to the cabs and say that they are in my parking spot. I did it a couple of times while driving tractor trailer. Worked great too. I would stop in the road, someone would yell why are you stopped there, I would yell back that someone was in my parking spot, normally a smaller delivery truck. Of course that driver would hear me and get out of there as fast as they could because now they are made to look bad.

True, but if the police are called, or anyone complains, just point to the cabs and say that they are in my parking spot. I did it a couple of times while driving tractor trailer. Worked great too. I would stop in the road, someone would yell why are you stopped there, I would yell back that someone was in my parking spot, normally a smaller delivery truck. Of course that driver would hear me and get out of there as fast as they could because now they are made to look bad.

I'll do that on King Street, when a delivery truck (aka Purolator, or UPS) stops and blocks the ONLY lane, requiring me to cross over the center, into oncoming traffic (that is, if they will stop to let me get by).

I used to try to get around them, but with the "new and improved" downtown (known as narrowing the street, and widening the sidewalks) now I just put the "Maxi" on, turn on the 4-ways, and sit there. I get paid by the minute, and have sat there for 5 minutes! So much for "connections" at the Terminal, but "Safety comes first", and I don't deem it a safe move to try to get around them, going into oncoming traffic. As some drivers have said all along ...................... "Take us off King Street!"

I'll do that on King Street, when a delivery truck (aka Purolator, or UPS) stops and blocks the ONLY lane, requiring me to cross over the center, into oncoming traffic (that is, if they will stop to let me get by).

I used to try to get around them, but with the "new and improved" downtown (known as narrowing the street, and widening the sidewalks) now I just put the "Maxi" on, turn on the 4-ways, and sit there. I get paid by the minute, and have sat there for 5 minutes! So much for "connections" at the Terminal, but "Safety comes first", and I don't deem it a safe move to try to get around them, going into oncoming traffic. As some drivers have said all along ...................... "Take us off King Street!"

I don't think taking us off King st. is the right thing to do, I think making the couriers us the Laneway behing King st. is the proper thing to do.

I don't think taking us off King st. is the right thing to do, I think making the couriers us the Laneway behing King st. is the proper thing to do.

D4500, really now, do you think that a Courier will stop in the alley behind King St to make a delivery? They know damn well that they can stop, run in and make the delivery before By-Law, or the Police will do anything. No matter what is done, it's cheaper for Purolater or UPS to pay the fines, than do it that way. For them "time is money" and if they can deliver (or pick up) dozens (or hundreds) of packages before getting a ticket, it's more beneficial to them to do it that way.

My vote is "Take the buses off King Street". The schedule will be more efficient, buses will be able to get into, and out of the Terminal easier, and connections will be made.

D4500, really now, do you think that a Courier will stop in the alley behind King St to make a delivery? They know damn well that they can stop, run in and make the delivery before By-Law, or the Police will do anything. No matter what is done, it's cheaper for Purolater or UPS to pay the fines, than do it that way. For them "time is money" and if they can deliver (or pick up) dozens (or hundreds) of packages before getting a ticket, it's more beneficial to them to do it that way.

My vote is "Take the buses off King Street". The schedule will be more efficient, buses will be able to get into, and out of the Terminal easier, and connections will be made.

Yes I agree with you, but the downtown BIA will never allow that to happen. Why do you think the 11 still runs up King? The businesses want the exposure the buses bring, even if no one is getting off, it's free advertising, its all pollitical.

And what about all those little old ladies who go the the Kitchener Market? Charles and Ceder is too far for some of them to walk, Yes King is a little inconvenient sometimes, but you've got to thing of the customers.

If the Region were really as transit friendly as they say they are they would get the cops and by-law to start doing thier jobslike in the other regions of the province.

Dozens and dozens of Taxi's parked in the bus bay at Gaukel today. Way too many to keep track of, but it does seem apparent that "United" and "City" are the worst abusers, followed by "Waterloo". I guess this actually includes all the major cab companies in KW! Obviously nothing is being done about it. So typical of the Region!

Dozens and dozens of Taxi's parked in the bus bay at Gaukel today. Way too many to keep track of, but it does seem apparent that "United" and "City" are the worst abusers, followed by "Waterloo". I guess this actually includes all the major cab companies in KW! Obviously nothing is being done about it. So typical of the Region!

If you think this is a serious issue, contact your regional councillor(s) -- that's what they're there for.

It would have been a nice touch if the Greyhound bus, that was parked on Ontario Street all afternoon used the dedicated bus bay on Charles Street at Gaukel. (Would have kept the sleazy cabbies from parking in it!)

It was parked at the top of the lanes, on Ontario Street, in front of the 'plaza', and in my opinion was impeding traffic on Ontario St. (Also, it was parked right under a "No Parking" sign! Then again GRT parks there "Out of Service" buses on Charles St., right in front of the Terminal (impeding the view exiting Lot 22 at the Terminal) and also right under "No Stopping" signs, which, is worse than a No Parking sign. No Stopping means just that ........... No Stopping. Not No Parking ..............all day!

It would have been a nice touch if the Greyhound bus, that was parked on Ontario Street all afternoon used the dedicated bus bay on Charles Street at Gaukel. (Would have kept the sleazy cabbies from parking in it!)

It was parked at the top of the lanes, on Ontario Street, in front of the 'plaza', and in my opinion was impeding traffic on Ontario St. (Also, it was parked right under a "No Parking" sign! Then again GRT parks there "Out of Service" buses on Charles St., right in front of the Terminal (impeding the view exiting Lot 22 at the Terminal) and also right under "No Stopping" signs, which, is worse than a No Parking sign. No Stopping means just that ........... No Stopping. Not No Parking ..............all day!

Again, that area has been designated under the Regional Traffic By-Law as a "bus stop" and buses stopped or parked at bus stops are exempt from No Stopping restrictions, therefore it is legal for GRT buses to park there; that is the very reason the signage in front of the terminal was changed.