Taxi's in the Bus Bay at Charles & Gaukel!

It seems that non of the Taxi drivers in Kitchener Waterloo can read.

There is a "dedicated" bus bay at Charles & Gaukel (in front of Everst College - on Charles) that is signed "BUS PARKING ONLY", and has a GRT bus stop sign also posted that says "Standby Bus Parking"

How come is it then that every taxi driver in Kitchener Waterloo seems that it is his God given right (or "Allah's"), to park their cab in the bus bay and wait (while up to 3 or 4 taxi's are parked in the designated "Taxi Stand" in front of the Terminal, near the 'fountain')???

From what I've heard, the Supervisors have constantly called the taxi companies to request that they do not 'wait' there! (I truly am beginning to believe that these guys can't read, or understand English!) Even By-Law Enforcement has been called! Seems like a "cat & mouse" game ..................... sit there and wait, and hopefully By-Law won't come by and make me move before I get a fare!

I think we should start a post, similar to "Bus Sightings" and start posting the Cab's, and the cab number on here! LOL :D

I'm also thinking of adding the Taxi Dispatch numbers in my cell phone and starting to call them, and asking them to contact the cab, requesting them to move! It's just plain ignorant, I say.

WATERLOO TAXI - 519 886-1200

UNITED TAXI - 519 888-9999

CITY CABS - 519 747-7777

Let the games begin!

i been talking to alot of drivers that i know and they say the same thing about the cabs parking in the bus stand by area and they think they cant read or Dont care my thinking is they should just park a bus there either GRT or Greyhound and not move it till the end of the day the cab Companys need to learn they cant park there and maybe have the cabs towed and fined for parking there that might give them the message

Thats a great idea but will the GRT and the region go for it and if they did where would it go downtown Kitchener is running out of space why cant they get the Security Guards to go out and ask the cabs to move they are allways walking around outside it would not hurt them to look and see if there is a cab in the bus stand by area and ask them to move thats my thinking.

Here's a "genius" idea: why not build a new bus terminal with proper layover spots for cabs and buses ? I always thought that the buses parked in front of Charles Terminal looked a little "tacky" ...

Why waste alot of money to build a new terminal just to seperate Taxis with Buses? What I think should be done is to have a Parking officer there frequently ticketing the taxis no exceptions. Even if the Taxi driver is in their vehicle have the Officer jot the plate down and such then hand the Taxi driver the ticket. No warnings, No nothing.

I always thought that the buses parked in front of Charles Terminal looked a little "tacky" ...

Quite frankly I'm suprised that they get away with parking GRT buses where they do, in front of the CST. Take a look at the posted 'regulatory' signs on the posts. They indicate "No Stopping". (Not "Bus Parking Only", like the one says in front of Everest College)

I also think it's a safety hazard, because when you're trying to exit the parking lot beside the terminal you cannot see up the street, past the parked bus, for oncoming traffic. You're pulling out onto Charles St. "blind" to what's approaching, hoping that they see the front of your vehicle sticking out! Just wait until someone has their vehicle hit while exiting, and their vision was obstructed. Lets see if the driver who parked the bus in a No Stopping zone is charged with anything.

I agree, park them in the bay where the Taxi's park!

I'm also thinking of adding the Taxi Dispatch numbers in my cell phone and starting to call them, and asking them to contact the cab, requesting them to move! It's just plain ignorant, I say.

WATERLOO TAXI - 519 886-1200

UNITED TAXI - 519 888-9999

CITY CABS - 519 747-7777

I like that idea! Now only if we could use our cell phone to call the cab company while driving the bus. (Maybe I'll jot these numbers down and start using them. LOL)

A few notes...

1) Parking the buses in front of the Charles Street Terminal is legal, the area was by-lawed as a "bus stop" to allow the buses to park there despite the no stopping signage. The set-up with the no stopping, loading zone and taxi stand was created as is spscifically so buses could park in front of the terminal. According to both the regional and municipal by-laws transit buses are exempt from the no stopping restrictions if at a bus stop (and yes, I know there's not actually a "GRT bus stop" sign there).

2) I have found that despite the cabs in the bus bay at Charles and Gaukel if I come to that location with a spare bus and honk the horn a couple times the cabs tend to scatter. I hate the taxi drivers in Waterloo Region as much as the next person, but frankly if we don't actively use that spare bus bay then they aren't hurting anyone...so long as they scatter when the bus bay is needed for buses, if the cab drivers challenge that, well....bus vs. taxi = bus wins :D .

3) On the other side of the coin, when the no stopping, loading zone and taxi stand were reconfigured in front of the terminal Regional staff sent information to the area taxi companies for comment and can you guess what they said.........nothing! Not one company responded, so if they don't like the arrangements with the spare buses in the bus bay they can go pound salt. We should be using that spare bay more often, and IIRC a memo was posted by management when that bay was first constructed to use it first before parking in front of the terminal itself. However, being humans we don't want to walk so we park in front of the terminal first it seems.

My two cents.

A few notes...

1) Parking the buses in front of the Charles Street Terminal is legal, the area was by-lawed as a "bus stop" to allow the buses to park there despite the no stopping signage. The set-up with the no stopping, loading zone and taxi stand was created as is spscifically so buses could park in front of the terminal. According to both the regional and municipal by-laws transit buses are exempt from the no stopping restrictions if at a bus stop (and yes, I know there's not actually a "GRT bus stop" sign there).

2) I have found that despite the cabs in the bus bay at Charles and Gaukel if I come to that location with a spare bus and honk the horn a couple times the cabs tend to scatter. I hate the taxi drivers in Waterloo Region as much as the next person, but frankly if we don't actively use that spare bus bay then they aren't hurting anyone...so long as they scatter when the bus bay is needed for buses, if the cab drivers challenge that, well....bus vs. taxi = bus wins :D .

3) On the other side of the coin, when the no stopping, loading zone and taxi stand were reconfigured in front of the terminal Regional staff sent information to the area taxi companies for comment and can you guess what they said.........nothing! Not one company responded, so if they don't like the arrangements with the spare buses in the bus bay they can go pound salt. We should be using that spare bay more often, and IIRC a memo was posted by management when that bay was first constructed to use it first before parking in front of the terminal itself. However, being humans we don't want to walk so we park in front of the terminal first it seems.

My two cents.

1) Might be legal but still look crappy

2)Some tomes they scatter and other times they get downright hostile. I used to park a bus there in the mornings and almost every day I was geting yelled at or shot the No. 1 finger I'm the reason the the Sups are out there all the time calling by-law, because everytime I drive by and see them parked there I call the Sups.

My "Taxi Sightings" for today: (Taxi's ignoring the "Bus Only" sign & parking in the bus bay at Charles & Gaukel)

Waterloo Taxi:

Cab #33

City Cabs:

Cab #58

Cab #68

United Taxi:

Cab #70

More to come! Stay tuned!

Let's see if there is any consistency in Cab "numbers" that continually do this?

My "Taxi Sightings" for today: (Taxi's ignoring the "Bus Only" sign & parking in the bus bay at Charles & Gaukel)

Waterloo Taxi:

Cab #33

City Cabs:

Cab #58

Cab #68

United Taxi:

Cab #70

More to come! Stay tuned!

Let's see if there is any consistency in Cab "numbers" that continually do this?

You most likely will I drive by on Main-line all the time and see the same ignorant faces trip in and trip out. ARGH! I give up!

City Cabs:

Cab #44

Cab #6

Untied Taxi:

Cab #41

(Was not downtown much today)

Slow day I guess!!

United Taxi:

Cab #56

Cab #23

Cab #68

Cab #15

PLUS "4" others that I couldn't get a number off of, because I couldn't see it from the corner.

City Cabs:

Cab #45

Cab #38

Cab #19

PLUS "1" other

Waterloo Taxi:

Cab #42

PLUS "1" other

And, that's ONLY what I observed this afternoon! Busy day in the "No Parking" Zone!

1) Might be legal but still look crappy

2)Some tomes they scatter and other times they get downright hostile. I used to park a bus there in the mornings and almost every day I was geting yelled at or shot the No. 1 finger I'm the reason the the Sups are out there all the time calling by-law, because everytime I drive by and see them parked there I call the Sups.

And you truly believe that the "White shirts" jump on the phone everytime you call??

Get real........highly unlikely.

They reply with a "10-4" and forget about it. :o

And you truly believe that the "White shirts" jump on the phone everytime you call??

Get real........highly unlikely.

They reply with a "10-4" and forget about it. :)

Nope! I agree with you 100% that they just acknolwledge your conversation with a "Yup, OK, We'll make a call". Nothing ever gets done about it. Just p*sses you off a bit. Obviously 'cabbies' can't read. I think we've proven that point ...............

Nope! I agree with you 100% that they just acknolwledge your conversation with a "Yup, OK, We'll make a call". Nothing ever gets done about it. Just p*sses you off a bit. Obviously 'cabbies' can't read. I think we've proven that point ...............

I know they weren't calling every time. I was just hoping to annoy them enough for some one to actually do something about it to shut me up.

I'm pretty sure they can read, otherwise they wouldn't have the liscence ( I would hope anyway), they just don't care, and with no one willing to do anything about them why sh0ould they.

I know they weren't calling every time. I was just hoping to annoy them enough for some one to actually do something about it to shut me up.

Yup, you've annoyed them enough to say..."10-4".

Then we're happy and carry on with our day.

Seriously, as long as the cabbies are moving out of the bay when you are pulling in, what harm is there for them to sit there?

I see this as a total non-event.

There are far more important issues that we should be paying attention to.

Yup, you've annoyed them enough to say..."10-4".

Then we're happy and carry on with our day.

Seriously, as long as the cabbies are moving out of the bay when you are pulling in, what harm is there for them to sit there?

I see this as a total non-event.

There are far more important issues that we should be paying attention to.

I guess the other thing to note is what the definition of "parking" actually is? The only sure fire "legal" way (ie. ticketable every time) to keep them out would be to put No Stopping Zone signs up. Generally speaking (aside from the cabbie pow-wows at the side of the road) the cabs may be considered "stopped" in the bus parking area but not necessarily "parked" in the bus parking area. As it is now it may be a tough area for by-law to enforce effectively.