As per the Edmonton Sun today, the City is contemplating placement of a $39 million dollar order for ten SD160 LRV's for the NAIT extension by the end of this month, for delivery in late 2012. Although the province has not yet approved funding for the NAIT extension, the urgency of the order is being driven by Siemens' intention to shut down their high-floor production line, temporarily at least, if Edmonton does not place its order by end of the month. Starting up the production line again after it's been shut down will make the SD160's more expensive than if they are ordered now. The Transportation & Public Works Committee will be discussing at their next meeting.

If the City can scrape together the $22 million down payment (or "borrow" it from another fund) this seems like a smart move to me. There's always a risk that the Province won't come through with their share of the funding for the NAIT extension, I suppose, but the NAIT line seems to have a lot of political momentum behind it already. Even St. Albert has already begun to spend some of its own money on the project, with city council agreeing earlier this week to create a task force to help bring the LRT to St. Albert by 2018. And since March, St. Albert property owners are being charged a small LRT levy through their property taxes.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmonton/2...9/14661601.html

I don't know if there are two separate funds for this, but the NAIT extension might be separate - I thought the additional SD purchases would come out of that mentioned-but-not-around-yet $800 million Green Trip? funding for the capital region.

Calgary has 40 on order so those will take a while to produce (Edmonton's 37 took probably around 1 and a half years), and hopefully they can actually make a decision in that time.

Why might Siemens wanna end the production of high floor models?? -_- I thought there is still a stable market out there for them such as Calgary, Edmonton, Denver, and Salt Lake City. Does NJ Transit use high floor models?

Why might Siemens wanna end the production of high floor models?? -_- I thought there is still a stable market out there for them such as Calgary, Edmonton, Denver, and Salt Lake City. Does NJ Transit use high floor models?

They're not ending production, but, rather shutting down the production line for the SD-160. Siemen's would most certainly build more SD's if someone wanted them, but they would have to restart the production line. I don't know exactly how these things work, but they probably have jigs and other tools specific to the assembly of SD-160s.

No, New Jersey doesn't use high floor vehicles that I can recall, and they aren't built by Siemens.

Why might Siemens wanna end the production of high floor models?? :P I thought there is still a stable market out there for them such as Calgary, Edmonton, Denver, and Salt Lake City. Does NJ Transit use high floor models?

New Jersey does yes, but they bought from Kinkisharyo. The other cities you mention all have Siemens vehicles though!

After Calgary's order and Edmonton's order, those fleets are evergreened so they wouldn't need new ones for ~ 30 years. -_-

Denver and Salt Lake City have recent fleets though, with their oldest being 1993 and 1998 respectively.

UTA (Salt Lake City) and San Diego Trolley moved on to S70s (low floor).

http://www.transportation.siemens.com/usa/...hicle_lines.htm

Why might Siemens wanna end the production of high floor models?? :D I thought there is still a stable market out there for them such as Calgary, Edmonton, Denver, and Salt Lake City. Does NJ Transit use high floor models?

Los Angeles, Pittsburgh and St. Louis are the only other cities that use high-floor, high-platform LRVs in a similar manner to Calgary and Edmonton. The rest of the light rail systems in the US and Canada are either low platform (the vast majority) or a combination of high platforms with low-level on-street boarding (San Francisco).

Calgary has an option for 40 more cars if I'm not mistaken, I guess we will wait and see what will happen.…

That is pretty neat. Gonna be somewhat of a hike from Kingsway Mall to the new T.C. if you're loaded down with packages. 106 Street/111 Avenue/Kingsway Avenue is a stupid intersection.

Well, I spoke to some Siemens people the other day and they were mentioning that ETS was looking into 20 more cars after Calgary's order was complete, and after that order was done, Calgary wants 40 more to retire some of the U2 fleet. Also there is a strong rumor that ETS is expressing interest with 20 of Calgary's old U2s to add to ETS's fleet...they are to be rebuilt and modified by Bombardier.

I guess time will tell....

Calgary has an option for 40 more cars if I'm not mistaken, I guess we will wait and see what will happen.…

I guess its only 38

Also there is a strong rumor that ETS is expressing interest with 20 of Calgary's old U2s to add to ETS's fleet.

Sure, why not? We took some ELFs, why not throw some U2s into the mix? :(

Hey I was just wondering if there's a link or someone has info about the proposed changes to the bus network that will happen when this line opens

Hey I was just wondering if there's a link or someone has info about the proposed changes to the bus network that will happen when this line opens

Same here, I have been wondering about this for a while now...Personally, I'm thinking that the 12 and 125 Downtown extensions would be eliminated...and a few trips on the 9 would get canceled (downtown/N.A.I.T) but that's just my guess... :P

I hope edmonton keeps all there mainline routes intact, I know in calgary we lost alot when the west opened in calgary

I hope edmonton keeps all there mainline routes intact, I know in calgary we lost alot when the west opened in calgary

If they do, frequencies are gonna be cut back pretty significantly, for sure.

Probably not, the only mainline routes that would be impacted by NAIT LRT are the 8 and the 9, both of which serve areas beyond the stations and longer corridors. So base 15 minute service will likely remain on those routes, while a large number of extras will likely be cut.

Hello my edmonton peeps the Nait line will end at

Health Sciences/Jubilee station will there be three platforms for the nait line

Nope, there will be a tail track south of the station for NAIT trains to lay over and reverse direction.

Hello my edmonton peeps the Nait line will end at

Health Sciences/Jubilee station will there be three platforms for the nait line

When do you think the NAIT line will be extended to St. Albert?

Not for sometime. SE-W line is the priority and funding is coming up short for that and there is talk of delays of a year or 2 for just the SE line.

Interesting "Lexan" route maps... :P it looks good. I like the look of these stations better than the newer ones in Calgary.