Jump to content

Chicago Transit Authority


OC Transpo 8238
 Share

Recommended Posts

CTA ordering 600 40' diesel Nova buses. These will replace the remaining 2000-2002 Nova LFS and some of the 2006-2010 New Flyer D40LFs. The prototypes will arrive later this year will full production on the first 100 buses in early 2022. The remaining 500 buses are options.

This could be CTAs last diesel order as they are planning electrification by 2040, but they will likely need to procure new artics soon to replace the current fleet. 

https://www.transitchicago.com/chicago-transit-board-approves-contract-to-purchase-new-clean-diesel-buses/

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

There's some talk on the Chicago Transit Forums about the remaining ~75 6400s (2000-2002 Nova LFS) being pulled from service today. Rumor is that they will be inspected after a bus caught fire earlier this week. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 2:49 PM, Tcmetro said:

CTA ordering 600 40' diesel Nova buses. These will replace the remaining 2000-2002 Nova LFS and some of the 2006-2010 New Flyer D40LFs. The prototypes will arrive later this year will full production on the first 100 buses in early 2022. The remaining 500 buses are options.

This could be CTAs last diesel order as they are planning electrification by 2040, but they will likely need to procure new artics soon to replace the current fleet. 

https://www.transitchicago.com/chicago-transit-board-approves-contract-to-purchase-new-clean-diesel-buses/

Has CTA even tested anymore EV buses since those 2014 XE40s?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

CTA has 20 Proterra electric buses on order:

https://www.transitchicago.com/cta-expands-electric-bus-fleet/

For 2 years now?

20 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

They've already built the electric power stations and have received six of the Proterras. I believe they have begun testing but I could be wrong. The other 14 are supposed to arrive later this year. 

Those buses are failing, NY MTA is having issues with them, SEPTA is getting rid of theirs...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CTA just wrapped up construction on the charging stations, so they haven't been able to do any serious testing on the six buses they have received already. That could be one reason the other 14 haven't arrived yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Those buses are failing, NY MTA is having issues with them, SEPTA is getting rid of theirs...

They're not as bad as people make them out to be. The proterras were out of service at the MTA for some door issues(????) IIRC, but their range is great relative to the XE40. When the XE40s would pull in at the end of the evening rush, the Proterras would keep going well into the night.

SEPTA is reportedly working on fixing their Proterras right now, they're not being disposed. The reason they removed them from service is kind of *odd* as well (frame/body), considering no other agencies have had similar problems with their Proterras.. As a matter of fact their carbon fibre bodies have proven to be a great feature of the buses, as demonstrated by an incident one of the PANYNJ Proterras assigned to Newark got involved in..

4 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

TCAT in Ithaca NY also ordered their Proterra buses in 2018 and those are just arriving now.

To be fair they were supposed to be arriving in 2020 (but coronavirus dashed those plans, which is of course something out of proterra's control). 3 of the 7 buses would have been delivered in 2020-21 anyway, as those were options on top of the original 3 ordered for delivery in 2019.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2021 at 3:29 PM, Tcmetro said:

There's some talk on the Chicago Transit Forums about the remaining ~75 6400s (2000-2002 Nova LFS) being pulled from service today. Rumor is that they will be inspected after a bus caught fire earlier this week. 

Did NovaBus Corporation get their recall of 2000-02 model years of LFS on the news yet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if Nova is recalling the 2000-02 LFS. There aren't many in operation outside of CTA (perhaps a few in Quebec). CTA has maintained service so far without the '00-'02 LFS, so I would be surprised if they did return.

In other news, posts on the Chicago Transit Forum show that the Proterra buses have started to enter service.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/28/2021 at 12:30 PM, Tcmetro said:

I am not sure if Nova is recalling the 2000-02 LFS. There aren't many in operation outside of CTA (perhaps a few in Quebec). CTA has maintained service so far without the '00-'02 LFS, so I would be surprised if they did return.

In other news, posts on the Chicago Transit Forum show that the Proterra buses have started to enter service.

When

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Public hearings for the Red Line extension:

 

https://www.transitchicago.com/RLE/

https://www.transitchicago.com/redext/tsd/
 

Quote

 

Meeting 2: Vision Statements and Types of Development - Spring 2021
The CTA is hosting two identical virtual meetings to get your feedback on the draft vision statements developed with guidance from the community for the areas around the new stations! The project team will share what we learned from the community at the four station area meetings earlier this year and community members are encouraged to provide their feedback. The meetings will also include a planning exercise to brainstorm different types of potential future development near each station. The same information will be presented at both meetings, so please attend the one that works best for you.

Wednesday, May 5 (2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
Thursday, May 6 (6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.)

Registration is required to attend these meetings
Please register at: transitchicago.com/RLE/engage(Opens in a new window)
Attendees will receive information to join via Zoom or telephone

If you require assistance to register, call us at 1-888-968-7282
at least three [3] days before the meeting you plan to attend.

Each meeting will be broadcasted simultaneously on
Facebook Live at facebook.com/CTARedExt(Opens in a new window)

 

 

 

RLE_OverviewMap_Simple_SmallerText_20171

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 3:29 PM, Tcmetro said:

There's some talk on the Chicago Transit Forums about the remaining ~75 6400s (2000-2002 Nova LFS) being pulled from service today. Rumor is that they will be inspected after a bus caught fire earlier this week. 

I was quite surprised that CTA was able to keep those Nova buses for more than twenty years. Most agencies can't do this unless they are dealing with financial problems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, chasbo2 said:

Most agencies can't do this unless they are dealing with financial problems.

That's exactly the reason they're still around. Their budget is stable, but the state of Illinois went without a capital budget for over 10 years. It was 2019 when Illinois finally passed a new a capital spending plan, then the pandemic. They currently have over ~1300 buses that are over 12 years old. Majority of them had midlife rehabs and will be around for many more years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, chasbo2 said:

I was quite surprised that CTA was able to keep those Nova buses for more than twenty years. Most agencies can't do this unless they are dealing with financial problems.

Federal funds are available for capital purchases.  Perhaps CTA put its available Fed funds towards the new 'L' car order. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

Federal funds are available for capital purchases.  Perhaps CTA put its available Fed funds towards the new 'L' car order. 

Federal funds generally cover 80% of the cost of a new bus. The lacking 20% local/state match has led CTA to 'creative' solutions like leasebacks and bus overhauls. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2021 at 12:10 PM, orionbuslover said:

That's exactly the reason they're still around. Their budget is stable, but the state of Illinois went without a capital budget for over 10 years. It was 2019 when Illinois finally passed a new a capital spending plan, then the pandemic. They currently have over ~1300 buses that are over 12 years old. Majority of them had midlife rehabs and will be around for many more years.

It would not surprise me to see some of CTA's New Flyer D40LF buses by 2023/2024.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...

Construction on the Red Line extension will not begin until at least 2025 (at least from what I've heard), they're prioritizing on the 7000-series railcars as well as the Red and Purple Modernization Phase One Project.

Also, would you predict that RPM Phase Two would rebuild the Purple Line? I've been seeing posters in Evanston lately demanding the CTA to rebuild their branch. The infrastructure is quite old. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Jukeboxboy said:

Construction on the Red Line extension will not begin until at least 2025 (at least from what I've heard), they're prioritizing on the 7000-series railcars as well as the Red and Purple Modernization Phase One Project.

Also, would you predict that RPM Phase Two would rebuild the Purple Line? I've been seeing posters in Evanston lately demanding the CTA to rebuild their branch. The infrastructure is quite old. 

Has any of those new Nova LFS buses arrived yet? How about the Proterras?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2022 at 1:14 PM, New Yorker 2001 said:

Has any of those new Nova LFS buses arrived yet? How about the Proterras?

Some of the Proterras were running on route 66 but that was part of an experimental run. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...