OC Transpo 8238

Chicago Transit Authority

Sorry to bump, but according to some rumors, once the 3200-series rehab is complete, 100 of them will be moved to the Blue Line, with displaced 2600-series cars going to the Brown and Orange Lines.  Not sure if these rumors are true, however, this should potentially give the Blue Line fleet a minor refresh until the 7000-series arrive.

10 hours ago, ABQ RIDE said:

Sorry to bump, but according to some rumors, once the 3200-series rehab is complete, 100 of them will be moved to the Blue Line, with displaced 2600-series cars going to the Brown and Orange Lines.  Not sure if these rumors are true, however, this should potentially give the Blue Line fleet a minor refresh until the 7000-series arrive.

I wonder if the Orange Line will become all 2600-series cars, or if both the Blue and Orange will be a 2600/3200 mix?

5 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

I wonder if the Orange Line will become all 2600-series cars, or if both the Blue and Orange will be a 2600/3200 mix?

I actually heard the Orange is already almost all 2600-series except during rush hours.  Perhaps if these rumors are true the Orange will become all 2600-series, plus with some 2600s going to Brown as well.  So if these rumors are true Orange will probably be all 2600-series while Blue and Brown will be a 2600/3200 mix.

31 minutes ago, ABQ RIDE said:

I actually heard the Orange is already almost all 2600-series except during rush hours.  Perhaps if these rumors are true the Orange will become all 2600-series, plus with some 2600s going to Brown as well.  So if these rumors are true Orange will probably be all 2600-series while Blue and Brown will be a 2600/3200 mix.

When I visited Chicago last summer, they were operating mixed trains of 2600's and 3200's on the Orange at all times.  The 2600's make up the bulk of the Orange fleet so they were definitely easier to find.

According to another site that I visit, Blue Line is confirmed to be getting 3200-series cars.  Some of the Blue Line's 2600-series cars will be shifted to the Brown Line.  Training on the 3200-series cars is ongoing.

From what I read, CTA plans on performing an additional rehab on 90 2600-series cars; I presume these will be assigned to the Blue Line along with 3200-series; the reason for these moves are due to a lot of problems occurring lately on the Blue Line, thus CTA is balancing the fleet out by adding some 3200-series as well probably the rehabbed 2600-series.  This may mean that the Blue Line in fact might not be the first to get 7000-series cars; I did read that the Blue Line will need electrical upgrades to run AC-powered cars including the 5000s and future 7000s.

As of today, the 3200-series have entered service on the Blue Line.  Also, CTA is running rush hour trips on the Blue Line using 5000-series cars from the Pink Line (they however are still officially assigned to the Pink Line and are operated by Pink Line personnel).

EDIT: I actually wonder if CTA actually plans on making all West Side lines having a common fleet once the 7000-series cars arrive.  Since the Pink and Green Lines often share each others' cars and now we have the Blue Line trips using Pink Line equipment; it would make sense for those three lines to have a common fleet.

• Like 1

Update on rail line assignments, the Orange Line is now all 2600-series, and CTA is now shifting some 2600-series from the Blue Line to the Brown Line.

Again, once the 7000s arrive, I wonder if CTA will have Blue/Green/Pink operate a common series of cars.  Green and Pink often borrow each other's cars and Blue now has trips using Pink Line equipment.

10 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Last 25 Novas of 450 bus order (8325-8349) being delivered last week of 2018.

Nice.

Is it safe to say that CTA straight-up likes Nova products?

Among among maintenance/operators, what is the general attitude? "these are great buses!" or "eh, we're stuck with 'em"

From a rider's standpoint, I am quite fond of Nova buses. But I have never driven one or maintained one. In talking with people who have hands-on experience, I've heard reviews that are all over the map.

Is there a consensus at CTA?

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2019 at 4:41 PM, Chris.A said:

Any idea as to what's going to replace the 2006-2009 D40LFs?

Not sure, but I think they are due for a new contract for the next big order. So it would probably be whoever wins that contract. Presumably the winner would be NFI, Nova or Gillig if they are looking for 40' diesel and/or hybrid and awarding on price.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MVTArider said:

Not sure, but I think they are due for a new contract for the next big order. So it would probably be whoever wins that contract. Presumably the winner would be NFI, Nova or Gillig if they are looking for 40' diesel and/or hybrid and awarding on price.

Has CTA ever considered CNG buses?