BNSF thread

BNSFfan67

Saw a brand new GE completed at GE's plant in Erie, PA on Thursday. It was too hidden for me to see its number, anyone who's ever been there will agree that it's considerably harder to spot locomotives at than at EMD in London, ON.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I don't have much training in civil/geotechnical engineering but I would think liquefaction of the saturated soil under the rail would be a risk given the weight and vibration of a passing train.

That's why they don't use soil under the rail. But the track has obviously been inspected and deemed safe to operate over. It's not like the train comes along, the crew crosses their fingers and pray.

• 11 months later...
During my recent trip from Calgary to Great Falls, Montana, I spotted Ferromex 4648 running behind BNSF 4902 at Sweetgrass, Montana. Is this common to find Ferromex power running with BNSF? I have attached a couple of images of 4902 and Ferromex 4648.

It's more common on UP, but they get around BNSF as well, just usually not that far north.

During my recent trip from Calgary to Great Falls, Montana, I spotted Ferromex 4648 running behind BNSF 4902 at Sweetgrass, Montana. Is this common to find Ferromex power running with BNSF? I have attached a couple of images of 4902 and Ferromex 4648.

Its common for Ferromex to owe both BNSF and UP power hours back for their units running through into mexico on through trains. Also its common to find the Ferromex units running on BNSF and UP to runthrough on through trains on CSX and NS.

Its common for Ferromex to owe both BNSF and UP power hours back for their units running through into mexico on through trains. Also its common to find the Ferromex units running on BNSF and UP to runthrough on through trains on CSX and NS.

Thanks. I actually got a few responces over on the RailroadForums.com website here: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37412

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

BNSF railyard Greene County was 3/4 empty... afeared it's gonna cause the next Great Depression. The US is falling to shreds.

I keep seeing UP roll through Greene County. I have even Seen a full NS go through. a 2-loco NS consist going through the Frisco! Long live Trains!

The yard where I live is EAST-WEST running.

• 1 year later...

2021019796_Screenshot2022-02-2207_48_06.thumb.png.45087c79571bf6dfc7595de45b4c2860.png

BNSF Rescues Amtrak once again. Shot from the Virtual Railfan camera in Galesburg, Illinois.

Speaking of, I have recently been seeing Norfolk Southern foreign power on BNSF. Also a lucky shot someone got in which a nuclear waste cask was being carried through Elkhart, Indiana. Not sure who was carrying that cask, but pretty sure BNSF scored this unusual load considering BNSF carries fuselages for Boeing.

Foreign Power or Power move?

Third clip in video.

Two BNSF, Ferromex (Likely that's foreign power), CSX (What?), KCS lines (Common in Springfield, Missouri), Union Pacific (Not surprised), and Union Pacific Maintenence speeder in the middle of the train (What?)

Time stamp 0:55

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 9:25 AM, ASzy said:

Springfield BNSF Railyard had a rather interesting two-way. A stopped intermodal was being passed by an eastbounder

Another two-way like that, this time on the WEST side of the yard, not the east.

BNSF Triclops involved in interesting 3-Way, Rochelle, Il.

• 1 month later...

CN operating a locomotive in Springfield MO. It'd been hanging out here for some time, it was probably taken off of a train somewhere else because it had something faulty and they towed it to Springfield BNSF to fix it.

The engine, a GE ES44AH, later departed going east toward Saint Louis.

Other BNSF sightings: Normally I don't see switch sets on the crossing near my house, but that is what has happened three times now. Once, an ex-BN White-cab being tailed by a standard BNSF Post-merger scheme engine wearing H2 or H3, and the BN leading. Carrying a few centerbeam flats with lumber loads for Contech and the other place. No lights, though they were booted and running.

Second time, different set. Ex-BN blacktop unit was trailing a BNSF H3 engine, leading a few centerbeams. And a trailer car or two.

Third time was the Ex-BN Whitecab unit again trailed by the H3 geep. They were light-power.