SEPTA (Pennsylvania)

septa105R5/seClip9

Update from SEPTA's Nova Delivery: According to PTV some of the Nova from the second batch (originally schedule to be delivered from January to May of 2015) had begun arriving since November, a few months ahead schedule: 7379. 7380, 7396 has reported been on SEPTA's property and #7379 was sighted in service. These are 2014 models. Given by that time of those buses built nd arrived to SEPTA, the second batch of Nova LFS Artic Hybrids #7370-7414 will most likely be 2014 models. And starting with 7415, those units will be 2015 models.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yesterday on a snowy Valentine's Day, I took a quick trip to Philly along Market Street and at Chinatown. Manage to see the Nova in action at that time.

By the way, the Nova Artic Hybrid Delivery total number as of now is around 100 or so buses delivered so far. Also, 50 or so Neoplan AN460 have been replaced so far, leaving around 100 or so remaining Neoplans left in service.

• 3 weeks later...

Following lawsuits against SEPTA, the District Judge ordered SEPTA to put those controversy hate ad: "Hatred: It's in the Quran" because the Judge ruled that SEPTA violated First Amendment Right in free speech issue.

This controversy sparked criticism where people, including SEPTA Riders and SEPTA itself said this is discriminating and is against people's background.

This is mentioned in this news link

"http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20150313_Judge__SEPTA_buses_can_be_plastered_with_Hitler_s_mug.html

And the RFP Bidding has begun for SEPTA on its planned future 30ft bus order. SEPTA plans to order 30 of them.

Proposal Number | 14-304-JFK

Purchase of Thirty (30) Foot Transt Buses

SEPTA is soliciting proposals from qualified firms for the purchase of Thirty (30) Foot Transit Buses

Deadline for Proposals: April 24, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Contact Name: James Coombs

Contact E-mail: Jcoombs@septa.org

Contact Phone: 215-580-7190

Well from skimming over the RFP it looks like 30 foot heavy-duty low floor diesel buses, order for 35 with option for 7.

I'm guessing either Eldorado EZ Rider II Max 30' or Gillig Low Floor 29' will be the awarded model. I don't seen NFI magically pulling an XD30 out of their hat for such a small order. (Although it could happen) I suppose NFI could bid this as NABI 30-LFW, since given the time frame they'll still be building DART and METRO units anyways IIRC. I doubt they would though as I'm sure they want to wind down NABI production as quickly as possible.

Well from skimming over the RFP it looks like 30 foot heavy-duty low floor diesel buses, order for 35 with option for 7.

I'm guessing either Eldorado EZ Rider II Max 30' or Gillig Low Floor 29' will be the awarded model. I don't seen NFI magically pulling an XD30 out of their hat for such a small order. (Although it could happen) I suppose NFI could bid this as NABI 30-LFW, since given the time frame they'll still be building DART and METRO units anyways IIRC. I doubt they would though as I'm sure they want to wind down NABI production as quickly as possible.

The Midi also meets the definition of heavy duty, as referenced in the tender document section TS.1 "It shall have a minimum design life of 12 years or 500,000 miles". The Midi has been Altoona tested as a 12 year/500,000 mile life.

The Midi also meets the definition of heavy duty, as referenced in the tender document section TS.1 "It shall have a minimum design life of 12 years or 500,000 miles". The Midi has been Altoona tested as a 12 year/500,000 mile life.

Good point, will be interesting to see who wins!

That's a good point. I thought NFI was marketing it as a medium duty 10 year bus though despite the 12/500,000 Altoona test. But yes, they could certainly bid that one. Then there's also the speculation that SEPTA has waited to post the RFP until now in hopes that the MiDi might be a good candidate.

That's a good point. I thought NFI was marketing it as a medium duty 10 year bus though despite the 12/500,000 Altoona test. But yes, they could certainly bid that one. Then there's also the speculation that SEPTA has waited to post the RFP until now in hopes that the MiDi might be a good candidate.

No doubt if that's the case. It could be a potential for SEPTA to return to New Flyer after last order went to Nova.

Competition for SEPTA's 30ft low floor bus order is tough as Gillig, Eldorado who also make 30ft buses may come out to bid aside from New Flyer.

SEPTA has had a MiDi demo before so I would not count out NFI on bidding.

At first I thought maybe Eldorado National would be favorable, with SEPTA ordering their last 30' batch from them. However, on page 114 of the RFP, they list the body width to be 96 inches. That could give the MiDi an advantage, as it is the only model offered in that width (compared with the EZ-Rider and Gillig Low Floor).

At first I thought maybe Eldorado National would be favorable, with SEPTA ordering their last 30' batch from them. However, on page 114 of the RFP, they list the body width to be 96 inches. That could give the MiDi an advantage, as it is the only model offered in that width (compared with the EZ-Rider and Gillig Low Floor).

Nice find!

Not shocked as I know SEPTA officials seem impressed with the MiDi when they had the demo

Not shocked as I know SEPTA officials seem impressed with the MiDi when they had the demo

Not to mention also they demoed the Eldorado EZ Rider too. So we can't ruled out they may settle on the New Flyer MiDi yet. There are other buses that SEPTA may looked aside from the demo buses that had paid the visit to SEPTA's HQ

Not to mention also they demoed the Eldorado EZ Rider too. So we can't ruled out they may settle on the New Flyer MiDi yet. There are other buses that SEPTA may looked aside from the demo buses that had paid the visit to SEPTA's HQ

I think it would be between Eldorado and New Flyer but we will wait and see.

My guess is the tightness on the LUCY routes

Could be that as well as some of SEPTA's contracted Routes where those roads are narrow and have tight turns especially some traveled on small suburb streets as well as office corporation grounds and Paoli Station where areas are tight there as well.

A 4 year old girl somehow wonders off from home to get a frozen treat before getting into a SEPTA Route 56 bus where passengers and the SEPTA Driver rescued them (The SEPTA operator called his supervisor who brought in Police to retrieved the girl)

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20150328_Bus_driver_finds_little_girl_alone_in_rain_at_3_a_m_.html

Could be that as well as some of SEPTA's contracted Routes where those roads are narrow and have tight turns especially some traveled on small suburb streets as well as office corporation grounds and Paoli Station where areas are tight there as well.

A 4 year old girl somehow wonders off from home to get a frozen treat before getting into a SEPTA Route 56 bus where passengers and the SEPTA Driver rescued them (The SEPTA operator called his supervisor who brought in Police to retrieved the girl)

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20150328_Bus_driver_finds_little_girl_alone_in_rain_at_3_a_m_.html

Good to see still good people in Philly. I know Philly gets a bad wrap but its a very nice city. in the past 3 years I have been there 5 times.