BCT-3122-D800-10240

CTran - Vancouver, Washington

39 posts in this topic

C-TRAN has order from New Flyer 60 ft buses but I do not understand were they are going to operated them. Does anyone know where they are going to operate? Are they going to do trips to Portland and trips to Delta Park/ Vanport MAX Station?

http://c-tran.com/about-c-tran/business/procurement/bid-and-proposal-opportunities/item/227-post-delivery-buy-america-audit-and-vehicle-inspection-services-new-flyer-brt-60-articulated-bus

My guess? They're for use on the BRT system being built by C-Tran, "The Vine."

Does anyone remember the 1983 Carpenter CBW300s C-TRAN once had? One of them was numbered 2070, and these were originally delivered (chassis by Gillig) with Detroit Diesel 6V53T engines and Allison MT643 transmissions, but in rehab were meticulously modified to accommodate the Detroit Diesel 6V71TA engine and Allison MT647 transmission (or even the 6V92TA and HT748).

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

http://www.c-tran.com/images/Service_Changes/2016-09-04/C-TRAN_Route_Concepts_2016-09_System_Mapb.pdf

No all-day service to Portland as this map appears to be once the 4 and 44 (Fourth Plain and Fourth Plain Limited respectively) are consolidated into the new "Vine" route, leaving only limited and express runs between the two cities and possibly this could consequently mark the beginning of the end of C-TRAN's relationship with TriMet.

I don't know about you, but they need to keep or add additional all-day service to Portland via the Delta Park/Vanport MAX Station, as the proposal only shows one route to service the Jantzen Beach mall after the Vine plan takes shape: line 60-Delta Park Limited.

Without further research, we Portlanders may have to take the railroad into Vancouver, or TriMet may consider extending its line 6 north into downtown Vancouver. I cannot help but think ridership over the Columbia River (Express and Limited routes aside) is rather low. For those of you in Vancouver who rely on C-TRAN to get to Portland 7 days a week, I strongly suggest you write to C-TRAN to press them to create an all-new all-day line to replace line 4-Fourth Plain service to Jantzen Beach and the TriMet MAX Delta Park/Vanport Station.

What do you think?

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

http://www.c-tran.com/images/Service_Changes/2016-09-04/C-TRAN_Route_Concepts_2016-09_System_Mapb.pdf

No all-day service to Portland as this map appears to be once the 4 and 44 (Fourth Plain and Fourth Plain Limited respectively) are consolidated into the new "Vine" route, leaving only limited and express runs between the two cities and possibly this could consequently mark the beginning of the end of C-TRAN's relationship with TriMet.

I don't know about you, but they need to keep or add additional all-day service to Portland via the Delta Park/Vanport MAX Station, as the proposal only shows one route to service the Jantzen Beach mall after the Vine plan takes shape: line 60-Delta Park Limited.

Without further research, we Portlanders may have to take the railroad into Vancouver, or TriMet may consider extending its line 6 north into downtown Vancouver. I cannot help but think ridership over the Columbia River (Express and Limited routes aside) is rather low. For those of you in Vancouver who rely on C-TRAN to get to Portland 7 days a week, I strongly suggest you write to C-TRAN to press them to create an all-new all-day line to replace line 4-Fourth Plain service to Jantzen Beach and the TriMet MAX Delta Park/Vanport Station.

What do you think?

~Ben

That plan seems lack fore site from C-Tran hopefully TriMet and C-Tran can get together and create route from Downtown Vancouver to Delta Park/Vanport MAX Station or extended the 6 north into Downtown Vancouver.

That plan seems lack fore site from C-Tran hopefully TriMet and C-Tran can get together and create route from Downtown Vancouver to Delta Park/Vanport MAX Station or extended the 6 north into Downtown Vancouver.

Of course, this is not the final version of C-TRAN's plan so hopefully they might revise parts of it.

~Ben

The Vine will at least have a shuttle from Vanport to the western terminus at Turtle Place, I believe.

It's still a shame the CRC wasn't realized, even with a single stop north of the river.

The Vine will at least have a shuttle from Vanport to the western terminus at Turtle Place, I believe.

It's still a shame the CRC wasn't realized, even with a single stop north of the river.

http://www.columbian.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Service-Change-2016.01-for-C-TRAN-Board-v2.pdf

According to the proposal, service between downtown Vancouver and Jantzen Beach/Delta Park statistics show:

* About 20 percent of route 4 & 44 riders travel in/out of Oregon.

* Of those, about 70 percent travel to/from Delta Park.

* Route would go in/out of Jantzen Beach once per round trip.

* AM: directly to Delta Park, stopping at Jantzen Beach on the return trip.

* PM: stops at Jantzen Beach on the outbound trip, serves Delta Park and returns directly to downtown Vancouver.

~Ben

It's impossible to tell from those documents the frequency and span of that proposed route 60.

In theory, I like the idea of a fast, frequent shuttle route between Downtown Vancouver and the Delta Park/Vanport MAX station.

So I write this as a total outsider... with little idea of how C-Tran operates other than what online maps and timetables shows.

I'd make one stop in Downtown Vancouver as physically close as possible to Turtle Place and one stop at the freeway ramp stop at Delta Park/Vanport MAX station. If it's absolutely necessary to serve Jantzen Beach... make one stop and do it in the off-peak direction only to avoid as much traffic as possible (which it sounds like they're doing). The shuttle should match the frequency and span of both the MAX and Vine.

While bus only lanes on the Columbia River bridge seem impossible, other improvements could be made to make the route faster:

Expand the I-5 South ramp in Vancouver so the buses can bypass the meter.

Buy low-floor buses (and brand them)

Put TVMs at all stations for off-board fare payment and all-door boarding

Invest in BRT level amenities at the Downtown Vancouver and Delta Park/Vanport stops (and Jantzen Beach if served)... raised platforms, nice shelters and electronic next departure signs

Last but far from least... brand the HECK out of it. Instead of calling it something boring like "Route 60" call it the "Bridge Hopper" (with a frog logo) or the "River Runner" (with a road runner logo). Then put this special shuttle on the MAX system map and on Vine line mapd and make it appear like the vital connection it should be in the transportation system.

1 person likes this