Portland TriMet

Nabinut

Besides the arrival of 55 new buses, some routes have been reconfigured:

6-M. L. King, Jr. Blvd. (route now travels to Jantzen Beach via Vancouver & Middlefield, instead of via Lombard, Denver/Interstate and the Delta Park/Vanport MAX Station)

8-Jackson Park/NE 15th Avenue (northbound part of this route now ends at 9th & Dekum; use Line 6 for trips to Vancouver & Middlefield)

9-Powell (formerly 9-Powell/Broadway; northbound part of this route is now joined to Line 17)

11-Rivergate/Marine Dr. (formerly part of Line 16)

12-Barbur Blvd./Sandy Blvd. (southbound part of this route terminates at Tigard TC while the northbound part of this route terminates at Parkrose/Sumner TC; use Lines 94 and 21 for service to Sherwood and Gresham TC respectively)

15-Belmont/NW 23rd Avenue (westbound part of this route extended to NW 35th & St. Helens)

16-Front Avenue/St. Helens Road (replaces northbound Line 17 service north of the St. Johns area)

17-Holgate/Broadway (formerly 17-Holgate/NW 21st Ave./St. Helens Road and 9-Powell/Broadway)

21-Sandy Blvd./223rd Ave. (formerly part of Line 12-Barbur Blvd./Sandy Blvd.; provides local service between Parkrose/Sumner TC and Gresham TC)

47-Baseline/Evergreen (route extended east to Sunset TC via Bronson Rd., replaces Line 89 service northbound)

48-Cornell (route extended east to Sunset TC via Cornell Rd., replaces Line 89 service southbound)

67-Bethany/158th Ave. (formerly 67-Jenkins/158th Ave.; southbound terminus is at Merlo Road/SW 158th Ave. MAX station instead of Beaverton TC)

70-12th/NE 33rd Ave. (formerly Lines 70-12th Ave. and 73-NE 33rd Ave.)

73-NE 33rd Ave. (discontinued; now part of Line 70-12th/NE 33rd Ave.)

77-Broadway/Halsey (routing change in downtown area: line no longer operates on Lovejoy/Marshall/Northrup; instead, service to Montgomery Park is provided via Everett/Glisan, 21st, Thurman, 23rd, Vaughn to 27th & Nicolai)

82-Eastman/182nd Ave. (now part of Line 87-Airport Way/181st Ave.)

87-Airport Way/181st Ave. (route extended southeast to Gresham TC; westbound terminus is now at Gateway TC instead of Parkrose/Sumner TC; eastbound terminus is Gresham TC instead of Rockwood TC, using the 82 routing south of Rockwood)

89-Tanasbourne (discontinued; northbound extension now part of Line 47; southbound extension now part of Line 48)

94-Sherwood/Pacific Hwy. (now provides all-day service between Sherwood and Tigard TC, replacing Line 12 service west of Tigard TC. Peak-hour service will continue to exist on this line between Tigard TC and downtown Portland)

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who may have missed it, TriMet will up the count of its 2013 MY buses from 54 to 68 thanks to a $5 million federal grant and thus qualified for what is known as SGR (state of good repair) funds.

http://media.trimet.org/new-5-million-federal-grant-to-help-trimet-update-its-bus-fleet-faster-than-expected/

This victory in funding will mean TriMet can scrap its Flxibles faster than expected.

~Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the 17th of last month, another member and myself found former Tri-Met AM General 10240B-8 #1044 parked by the side of a road in an industrial park in Prince George, B.C. Her former fleet numbers can still be seen on the rear of this bus. Here are a couple of images:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vehicle-images/8054399986/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vehicle-images/8054399644/

For those of you who may have missed it, TriMet will up the count of its 2013 MY buses from 54 to 68 thanks to a $5 million federal grant and thus qualified for what is known as SGR (state of good repair) funds.

http://media.trimet....-than-expected/

This victory in funding will mean TriMet can scrap its Flxibles faster than expected.

~Ben

Arrrgh! Just tell them to wait until I get there, I'll be there the week of Oct 21st... just hold off of Flxible retirements until then...thanks and good night! LOL

--Dr. C

Arrrgh! Just tell them to wait until I get there, I'll be there the week of Oct 21st... just hold off of Flxible retirements until then...thanks and good night! LOL

--Dr. C

Don't worry - TriMet has been having a rough start with the new Gillig buses - they are being phased in 5 buses at a time and are only running on lines 9 and 72 for right now. You might be out of luck if you want to catch a 1400-series Gillig Phantom by then, but the Flexible buses aren't slated to be phased out until the end of 2013 at the earliest. To my knowledge, I think there are way more than 68 Flexible buses active in the fleet, which is the number of buses we will be receiving from Gillig in 2013.

By the way, are there many TA's that order the Gillig buses with the BRT front and standard rear? TriMet seems to have...though it makes sense for cash-strapped TriMet since the front is actually functional from a visibility standpoint versus the aesthetics only rear BRT package.

I'm not sure if it is because of the increased production of Gillig buses that is causing a quality issue or something on TriMet's end, but only 1 of the 5 buses that left the garage in the morning on opening day made it through the entire day of service,..

I rode Long Beach's new Gilligs and on my first ride, it seemed the operator was having trouble with the engine. Also, LBT seems to only run like 10-12 Gilligs at a time, indicating some sort of reliability issue. (In others words, LBT doesn't want to have 30+ buses fail in one day, it would devastate service)

My guess also would be the all-of-sudden increase awards won by Gillig is creating some sort of quality control issue, as it seems Gillig is getting contracts by 10 different major agencies all of a sudden.

Don't worry - TriMet has been having a rough start with the new Gillig buses - they are being phased in 5 buses at a time and are only running on lines 9 and 72 for right now. You might be out of luck if you want to catch a 1400-series Gillig Phantom by then, but the Flexible buses aren't slated to be phased out until the end of 2013 at the earliest. To my knowledge, I think there are way more than 68 Flexible buses active in the fleet, which is the number of buses we will be receiving from Gillig in 2013.

By the way, are there many TA's that order the Gillig buses with the BRT front and standard rear? TriMet seems to have...though it makes sense for cash-strapped TriMet since the front is actually functional from a visibility standpoint versus the aesthetics only rear BRT package.

I'm not sure if it is because of the increased production of Gillig buses that is causing a quality issue or something on TriMet's end, but only 1 of the 5 buses that left the garage in the morning on opening day made it through the entire day of service,..

Jared,

I hope that doesn't mean the cancellation of the rest of the contract... otherwise, TriMet could transfer the remainder of their contract to New Flyer (just as Chicago's CTA had when it tried to buy MAN buses to their exclusive specs, and then MAN left the US bus business, and so transferred the remainder of that particular contract to Flxible) and buy the Excelsior XD40 series.

I do know TriMet had a rough start with their 2900 series New Flyer D40LFR's too when they first began revenue service.

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

Actually the "problems" that have been described are normal for new buses. Not only does it take time to get operators trained on the new equipment, it also takes time to get the bugs worked out of them. This includes defects in manufacture as well as defects introduced by installation of on board equipment. The slow commissioning process could be related to the need to move equipment off the old buses and onto the new ones (Radio, Farebox, etc.) which would limit how many can be out of service at any one time, and how long it takes to get the new equipment into service. Long story short, i wouldent be so quick to blame the manufacturer.

Could anyone please tell me which of the "dinosaur" (20+ year old) TriMet buses have been officially retired as of late?

Therefore, please update the TriMet wiki page here to reflect any of their fleets which have been retired or are pending retirement, and to determine the exact count of TriMet's remaining 1990 Gillig Phantoms and their Flxible Metros.

Thank you,

Ben

Edited by Benjamin

I think this might be pretty similar to what Jared Kam already mentioned, but for those of you here that may have missed this, here's TriMet's official statement about their 55 new buses in service:

http://trimet.org/newbuses/index.htm

Currently, you can find these on Lines 9 and 72. You'll see them on other lines as well in a few months.

~Ben

Is it true that TriMet's new Gillig low floors are the first buses since 1997 to use the Allison B400R transmissions? If so, this also breaks off their association with Voith, and that decision could be, of course, due to money.

TriMet's two older fleets of buses with Allison B400R transmissions:

- 2001 to 2022 (1997 New Flyer D40LF)

- 2161 to 2165 (1997 Gillig Phantom C21D102N4) (2101 to 2160 use Voith D863.3 transmissions)

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

Is it true that TriMet's new Gillig low floors are the first buses since 1997 to use the Allison B400R transmissions? If so, this also breaks off their association with Voith, and that decision could be, of course, due to money.

- 2161 to 2165 (1997 Gillig Phantom C21D102N4) (2101 to 2160 use Voith D863.3 transmissions)

~Ben

This is a little surprising. Tri-Met has been a loyal Voith customer since 1988 when they bought their first Flxible Metros.

The only other order without Voith since 1988 (other than the two above) that I know of were the 10 1994 Metros with Series 50 and VR731RH. I rode one of those several years ago, and in my opinion, it was much smoother than the others with Voiths.

This is a little surprising. Tri-Met has been a loyal Voith customer since 1988 when they bought their first Flxible Metros.

The only other order without Voith since 1988 (other than the two above) that I know of were the 10 1994 Metros with Series 50 and VR731RH. I rode one of those several years ago, and in my opinion, it was much smoother than the others with Voiths.

Also: their short-lived fleet of 1998 World Trans/Collins 3000RE-185 27-foot buses (2401 to 2418) which mated the Allison AT545 transmission to the Cummins ISB175 engine.

~Ben

(snipped)

Is Voith known to cost more than Allison?

Also: their short-lived fleet of 1998 World Trans/Collins 3000RE-185 27-foot buses (2401 to 2418) which mated the Allison AT545 transmission to the Cummins ISB175 engine.

~Ben

That does not count! :)

~Ben

Nope, still Voith paired to a Cummins ISL. I thought at first that it was an ISM, but I am now convinced it's an ISL.

The programming on the transmission still causes it to shift to neutral upon stopping, but unfortunately there is a pretty strong kick when it re-engages at acceleration. What I like, though, is that the transmission seems to be more performance programmed - the gears hold longer compared to the updated New Flyer fuel saving programming. Overall, the buses seem pretty nice, though the notion that TriMet is having additional issues with these buses is also backed up by the fact that they have only been assigned to Line 72, which is a route with the most frequent service in the entire system.

I am not sure what the hybrid configuration is, though I am hoping it is not Voith. The newest 1200-series Gillig hybrid buses in Eugene, OR are seemingly quite underpowered - I believe it is powered by a Voith transmission (there are only three push black button gear options, D, N, and R). TriMet cannibalized 2561 and 2562, its two hybrid buses from 2002, as they required significant repairs to replace the battery pack on one and transmission on the other. These were both Allison hybrids - which leads me to believe that these new hybrid additions will not be Allison.

I think that overall, TriMet seems happier with these buses than the 2900-series New Flyers - there are some design quirks that are going to take some getting used to and it seems that the overall interior of the bus is more cramped, but the buses sure do run nice (when they are running nicely).

I am not sure what the hybrid configuration is, though I am hoping it is not Voith. The newest 1200-series Gillig hybrid buses in Eugene, OR are seemingly quite underpowered - I believe it is powered by a Voith transmission (there are only three push black button gear options, D, N, and R). TriMet cannibalized 2561 and 2562, its two hybrid buses from 2002, as they required significant repairs to replace the battery pack on one and transmission on the other. These were both Allison hybrids - which leads me to believe that these new hybrid additions will not be Allison.

In 2002, the Allison hybrid was still experimental. They're pretty solid now.

In 2002, the Allison hybrid was still experimental. They're pretty solid now.

I'm a huge fan of the Allison hybrid system - the buses run smooth, they're fast, and they're quiet. I hope that TriMet realizes that they have improved some and choose them, though they are so Voith loyal that they may go in that direction. They even retired those DD50/Allison Flxible buses early because they didn't like both the engine and transmission setup, even though they were smoother riding.

On a side note, TriMet also received a "super hybrid" grant - which is technology that has only been demonstrated using an Allison transmission (the New Flyer demo at Metro Transit in St. Paul, MN). We will see if Gillig can provide a good alternative to the New Flyer option.

Nope, still Voith paired to a Cummins ISL. I thought at first that it was an ISM, but I am now convinced it's an ISL. The programming on the transmission still causes it to shift to neutral upon stopping, but unfortunately there is a pretty strong kick when it re-engages at acceleration. What I like, though, is that the transmission seems to be more performance programmed - the gears hold longer compared to the updated New Flyer fuel saving programming. Overall, the buses seem pretty nice, though the notion that TriMet is having additional issues with these buses is also backed up by the fact that they have only been assigned to Line 72, which is a route with the most frequent service in the entire system. I am not sure what the hybrid configuration is, though I am hoping it is not Voith.

Would be very interesting if TriMet got new Voith hybrids. They seem to be very hard to find.

Anyone know when the new hybrids will be delivered?

As for LTD's Hybrids, I would guess they are BAE hybrids. The SuperHybrid is a BAE design.

I recall the Series 50/Allison Flx's had very sluggish acceleration.

The one I rode was fine -- not the fastest bus ever, but far from the slowest.

Well, day one is completed, rode the red line and spotted at least three Flxibles out....on a Sunday! One on the 12 (of all lines), one on the 9 IINM, and one on the 33 IINM. All downtown, all within an hour of each other... Today, I plan to ride a few other portions of the MAX system and maybe get some WES in... Can't wait!

-Dr. C

HBLR meets Tri-Met...