Portland TriMet

Nabinut

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/19/2022 at 12:54 AM, Gamer Studios said:

TriMet explanation on why the FX branded LFSAs/LFXs were pulled.

bandicam 2022-11-19 00-44-00-764.jpg

Anyone think that TriMet leadership would ever think twice about choosing NovaBus over New Flyer? Of the hundreds of Gilligs they have in the fleet they have never had to pull a series out of service due to a recall liuke this. I suppose they had this scenario with the New Flyer BEB's, but they were explicit in saying that they were a testing platform.

Nice to know that TriMet has enough buses in their contingency fleet to support FX without these in service. The 2900's are certainly destined for the scrap heap soon - they'll still have the 3800-series electrics and "Desert Rose" to remind them somewhat of their past. In the end it's fortunate that this is a BRT "lite" line without the platforms in the center of the street and driver side boarding/alighting.

All I know is that TheBus in Honolulu better be taking notes...they'll be adding these to their fleet in the not too distant future.

1 hour ago, Jared Kam said:

Anyone think that TriMet leadership would ever think twice about choosing NovaBus over New Flyer? Of the hundreds of Gilligs they have in the fleet they have never had to pull a series out of service due to a recall liuke this. I suppose they had this scenario with the New Flyer BEB's, but they were explicit in saying that they were a testing platform.

Nice to know that TriMet has enough buses in their contingency fleet to support FX without these in service. The 2900's are certainly destined for the scrap heap soon - they'll still have the 3800-series electrics and "Desert Rose" to remind them somewhat of their past. In the end it's fortunate that this is a BRT "lite" line without the platforms in the center of the street and driver side boarding/alighting.

All I know is that TheBus in Honolulu better be taking notes...they'll be adding these to their fleet in the not too distant future.

Novabus isn't bad but just because it's a Novabus, it shouldn't be faulted over one little issue...

It's like buying a new car for an example...obviously problems can happen when it is "new".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jared Kam said:

Nova Bus has said that any bus delivered after November 14th will have a permanent remedy for the defect:

"Nova Bus issued a preventative delivery stop on Nov. 14, 2022, and notes any vehicle delivered after this date will have a permanent remedy for the defect. This permanent remedy consists of a hardware change limiting the maximum clamp load and different torquing strategy to increase the clamp load nominal value and also reduce the clamp load scatter."

FTA issues safety advisory for Nova Bus steering gearbox bolt failure

I hope I'm not offending any others who are Nova Bus fans but I've always considered New Flyer a better bus  ...more reliable, better handling, better riding, and just more refined.  Of course, this is just my own personal opinion.  Did Trimet go with Nova Bus just based on a lower bid? 

The bottom line is plug in any of the  major manufacturers into the NTSB recall database, and they all have laundry lists of entries over the years.  

Saying one is miraculously better than another is just fanboys taking the piss.

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2022 at 5:29 AM, Bus_Medic said:

The bottom line is plug in any of the  major manufacturers into the NTSB recall database, and they all have laundry lists of entries over the years.  

Saying one is miraculously better than another is just fanboys taking the piss.

Look, I wasn't necessarily saying one is better than another.  I was just stating my preference.  Just a personal opinion and not one of a "fanboy" but as a retired driver. 

Isn't that the nature of forums like this? ...lots of discussion here is based on a person's opinion.  But I should have known better.  I'll shut up going forward.  My apologies.

37 minutes ago, roamer said:

Look, I wasn't necessarily saying one is better than another.  I was just stating my preference.  Just a personal opinion and not one of a "fanboy" but as a retired driver. 

Isn't that the nature of forums like this? ...lots of discussion here is based on a person's opinion.  But I should have known better.  I'll shut up going forward.  My apologies.

It wasn’t aimed at you. I didn’t quote you, and didn’t mention your handle once. 

But if that’s your takeaway, off you go then.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:56 PM, roamer said:

Nova Bus has said that any bus delivered after November 14th will have a permanent remedy for the defect:

"Nova Bus issued a preventative delivery stop on Nov. 14, 2022, and notes any vehicle delivered after this date will have a permanent remedy for the defect. This permanent remedy consists of a hardware change limiting the maximum clamp load and different torquing strategy to increase the clamp load nominal value and also reduce the clamp load scatter."

FTA issues safety advisory for Nova Bus steering gearbox bolt failure

I hope I'm not offending any others who are Nova Bus fans but I've always considered New Flyer a better bus  ...more reliable, better handling, better riding, and just more refined.  Of course, this is just my own personal opinion.  Did Trimet go with Nova Bus just based on a lower bid? 

Novabus typically is more "expensive" in my experience...but then again it's all about the bidding war...