San Mateo County Transit District - SamTrans

Nabinut

San Mateo County Transit District (SamTrans) provides bus service throughout San Mateo County and into portions of San Francisco and Palo Alto. SamTrans also serves BART stations south of Daly City and many of the CalTrain commuter stations all the way down to Palo Alto. The fleet consists of multiple series of Gillig Phantoms in 35 & 40 foot versions, Gillig Advantages, NABI 60 foot articulated buses and a new fleet of Gillig BRT style diesels featuring a new, update paint scheme.

Milbrae BART Station, the end of the Red & Yellow lines is one of SamTrans' major terminals. Here Gillig Phantom #609, wrapped in a "Take Transit-Save Gas" promotion on an unknown route:

WCT3567.jpg

NABI Artic #121 is heading northbound on commuter Route 391 to the edge of San Francisco. Route 391 goes into Downtown San Francisco on rush hours only:

WCT3565.jpg

Gillig BRT #452 is one of 135 Gilligs purchased by SamTrans to update their fleet and retired Gillig Phantom made in the mid-1990s. Here it is leaving Redwood City CalTrain Station:

WCT3571.jpg

Before the BRTs, SamTrans also purchased Gillig Advantage Low Floors for local service. Here is #340 serving a school day only run on Route 296:

WCT3572.jpg

Videos:

SamTrans NABI Artic #118: Cummins ISM/ZF

SamTrans Gillig Advantage #340: Detroit Diesel Series 50/Voith

SamTrans Gillig Phantom #621: Cummins M11/ZF

SamTrans Gillig Parade:

SamTrans NABI Artic leaving Milbrae BART:

Cool, I hadn't seen their new livery until now! Also looks like the BRT might have an AESYS sign instead of Luminator.

It's already posted on the other thread.

Nice to see the BRT has "Canada" on the dest. sign.

• 2 years later...
  • Board Admin

Old topic, but SamTrans is getting 25 more Gillig hybrids.

Calif.'s SamTrans to add 25 Gillig hybrid buses

The energy-efficient buses, the first in the SamTrans fleet, are expected to be in service throughout San Mateo County by the end of the year. The low-floor buses use long-life, non-hazardous, maintenance-free batteries to capture and store braking energy and advanced solid state controllers to manage and blend power sources. Read More »

• 10 months later...

SamTrans New Hybrid Buses Hit The Road

December 2, 2013

The first batch of SamTrans’ new energy-efficient hybrid buses, which will reduce emissions and provide a smoother ride, are set to make their debut this week.

Earlier this year, SamTrans’ board of directors approved the purchase of 25 diesel-electric hybrid buses. Five of those new vehicles can be seen in operation throughout SamTrans’ service area. The remaining 20 will be integrated in to service next month.

http://www.samtrans....t_The_Road.html

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I believe next year will be the last run for the 1998 Gillig Phantoms. I have been getting tons of footage daily (as you can see by my profile picture). 655 and 661 are my favorites. Lots of them have actually stopped running (mostly 600-651, excluding 624 and 626). You never see those ones anymore.

The 2003 Gillig Advantages sound very nice with the DD Series 50's and almost remind my of Golden Gate Transit.

The 2002 NABI's seem to by the last 436.10's built and the last samTrans buses to use the awesome high back seats.

I am not a fan of the 2009-2010 Gillig BRTs. They just look ugly to me and sound a little weird.

• 3 months later...

SamTrans New Hybrid Buses Hit The Road

December 2, 2013

The first batch of SamTrans’ new energy-efficient hybrid buses, which will reduce emissions and provide a smoother ride, are set to make their debut this week.

Earlier this year, SamTrans’ board of directors approved the purchase of 25 diesel-electric hybrid buses. Five of those new vehicles can be seen in operation throughout SamTrans’ service area. The remaining 20 will be integrated in to service next month.

http://www.samtrans....t_The_Road.html

Brand new 2014 Gillig BRTs have been hitting the rode. So far I have been on 908 and have seen 909. The build date for 908 was 7/20/14. They have Cummins ISL9's and I think a Voith, but I couldn't fully tell due to the HVAC being on.

Brand new 2014 Gillig BRTs have been hitting the rode. So far I have been on 908 and have seen 909. The build date for 908 was 7/20/14. They have Cummins ISL9's and I think a Voith, but I couldn't fully tell due to the HVAC being on.

Do you have the vin for bus 908.

Do you have the vin for bus 908.

Unfortunately I couldn't since the information is placed above the driver. It was pretty hard to see the date while paying my fare and partially being pushed by other students. :P I will try again soon. I've added as much as I know to the Wiki though.

Here is a mediocre shot of 908. That dumb pole ruined a potentially perfect shot.

0917141431.jpg

SamTrans 2014 Gillig BRT (G27D102N4) 916 - Cummins ISL9/Voith D864.5ADR. These buses are actually not very good in my opinion. The acceleration is as slow as the 2009-2010 400 series Gillig BRTs, most likely due to the Voith transmission. These are also replacing my babies (1998 Gillig Phantoms). :'(

1006141104.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 1/15/2017 at 2:07 PM, TheAverageJoe said:

When are the NABI 436's due for replacement? Also have bids and or funding been found yet?

I believe next year or 2019 will be the end of the NABI's. I haven't heard anything about bids for artics yet. They might be waiting for Gillig to make one. If they don't go for that whenever it's ready, then they will likely go for New Flyer XD60's.

As for the 300's (2003 Gillig Advantages), they are due to retire around April this year. There hasn't been much talk on when their replacements will arrive though. 300-308 & 331 are still sitting at North Base retired, and those retired back on 1/11/2015.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/hvd/6013276994.html

Would this be ex SamTrans? Being reported as ex San Mateo county Sheriff unit 

7 minutes ago, TheAverageJoe said:

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/San_Mateo_County_Transit_District  if this is correct it would be ex SamTrans but not sure of the fleet number. This bus has been reported to have been up sale since 2014.

On 3/8/2017 at 6:10 AM, TheAverageJoe said:

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/San_Mateo_County_Transit_District  if this is correct it would be ex SamTrans but not sure of the fleet number. This bus has been reported to have been up sale since 2014.

On 3/9/2017 at 2:50 PM, GojiMet86 said:

That is San Mateo, one can see the faint outline that says "San Mateo County Sheriff":

It's an Ex-SamTrans 800. However no one knows which fleet number it originally was and I never found out since no VIN was ever posted. Maybe I can ask this company.

====================================================================

Muni XDE60 6612 demoed at SamTrans recently. I think the artic bid is coming. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2017 Gillig BRT 40 footers are on the way. Fleet 600-649. Apparently the first unit is due to arrive in a few weeks. Once they start entering service, the 300's will retire one by one. Part of the already retired 300-308 batch recently went back into service. I've seen 306 and I've heard about 303. I'll have to ask again for the rest of them. 

I heard something about an artic bid after Muni 6612 demoed. So the NABI's probably have until next year.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...