Sacramento Regional Transit

Nabinut

My next visit was to the state capitol of California, namely Sacramento and their bus system, Regional Transit. Despite a overcast day with a rainy start, there was plenty to have in regard to equipment. However, with a few exceptions, Sacramento’s Regional Transit is basically a Orion town. Their fleet mostly consist of Orion V CNGs, Orion VII First Generation CNGs & Orion VII Next Generation CNGs in three year sets (2300s, 2400s, 2800s).

Arriving via Amtrak, I first come upon Orion VII CNG #2361 at the Route 31 layover which sits between the tracks and the terminal:

WCT3423.jpg

Pictured at the Watts/I-80 Blue Line Station is Orion VII NG #2888 laying over while its driver seek refuge from the rain:

WCT3440.jpg

Regional Transit also observes the no idle policy as #2348 sits with signs on as its operator takes a break while wind and rain surrounds the coach:

WCT3447.jpg

Orion VII #2402 is one of five buses painted in a mostly blue RT scheme, seen at Watt/Manlove Light Rail Station:

WCT3453.jpg

Orion VII NG #2877 is among a pack of three RT Buses as two operators shoot the breeze while waiting for passengers at Florin Mall.

WCT3469.jpg

Once the dominant model in Regional Transit’s fleet, Orion Vs are now used in mostly rush hour service. Here is Orion V #2003 at the beginning of Route 34 in Downtown Sacramento:

WCT3481.jpg

Regional Transit Light Rail has two lines: Gold & Blue. The Gold Line starts at Sacramento Valley Station where it connects with Amtrak through Downtown and towards Folsom. The Blue line Starts in North Sacramento, heads through Downtown and ends in South Sacramento. The fleet consists of Siemens Duewags & CAF cars numbered in the 100 & 200 series.

Seeing is not believing. CAF car #226 leads a four car pack at 8th & O Station. The train is so long, boarding happens out of the operator’s sight and around the corner:

WCT3429.jpg

During off peak hours, Trains are two cars long. Pictured at Watts/I-80 Station is Siemens Duewag #119 while the operator switches ends:

WCT3438.jpg

Videos:

Regional Transit Orion VII #2389: Cummins C Gas/ZF Transmission:

Orion VII #2404 on Route 50E Limited (More speed stretches):

Regional Transit Orion VII Next Generation #2832: Cummins ISL-G/ZF Transmission

Regional Transit Blue Line (Exterior):

RT Light Rail Four Car Train:

RT University/65th Street Light Rail Crossing:

Regional Transit Light Rail Video:

Regional Transit Bus Video:

• 4 years later...

Sacramento RT has 96 new buses coming in 2015, presumably to replace some of their Orion beauties:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2014/12/01/en-route-regional-transit-getting-almost-100.html

Anyone know who is manufacturing the newbies?

My sheer guess is that the new buses will be New Flyer XN40's.

The buses are being manufactured by Gillig.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sacramento Regional Transit digging for new funds, hoping for better service

Consultant identifies tens of millions of dollars in potential new revenue

Board will hear proposals at its Monday meeting

Agency managers say new money could lead to improved service, better morale

• 8 months later...
  • 7 years later...
On 7/29/2023 at 10:07 PM, hp2ena said:

It's been awhile since anyone posted to this thread.

Anyways, bus and light rail roster for anyone interested.PRA 23-061 Vehicle Information sent 7.5.23.xlsxPublic Records Request_23-061_Bus.xlsx

Thank you for sharing that! Although I find it funny that the newest batch of Gillig BRT Plus CNGs are only listed up to 2254 on the spreadsheet. In this video by Bus Driver Life (the guy running the channel is a SacRT bus operator), # 2257 can be observed parked in the employee lot.

• Thanks 1