Los Angeles MTA

Orion V

On 2/5/2017 at 8:39 AM, MAX BRT said:

As of June 2016, there were plans to purchase 5 BYD battery bus artics. See under "Next Steps" on page 3 of this document:

https://media.metro.net/board/Items/2016/06_june/20160622otheratvcitem6.pdf

I do not know about that as they sent back the 5 smaller ones back to BYD as they did not perform to LAMTA standards.

1 hour ago, TheAverageJoe said:

I do not know about that as they sent back the 5 smaller ones back to BYD as they did not perform to LAMTA standards.

It was part of the deal to return the 40ft BYD's that they get 5 60ft BYD's in exchange. They will run on the Orange Line along with 5 XE60's. Metro plans to have all the buses on the Orange electric in a few years so expect the RFP award to reflect an agency that can provide that kind of flexibility of electric and CNG, 40ft and 60ft (ie NFI)

9 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

I do not believe Nova has a CNG artic though as yet, I have not seen any news of one at least

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shakey077 said:

It was part of the deal to return the 40ft BYD's that they get 5 60ft BYD's in exchange. They will run on the Orange Line along with 5 XE60's. Metro plans to have all the buses on the Orange electric in a few years so expect the RFP award to reflect an agency that can provide that kind of flexibility of electric and CNG, 40ft and 60ft (ie NFI)

Dumb move in Metro's part. When they have the artic on demo it broke down every time they had it on the Orange line, It only did one round trip lol

3 minutes ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Dumb move in Metro's part. When they have the artic on demo it broke down every time they had it on the Orange line, It only did one round trip lol

They didn't really have much in the way of choices. BYD was not giving the money back already spent on the 40ft buses. Either they work a deal out with BYD and exchange them for the 60ft buses or they waste the millions and have the 40ft BYD's sit for 12 years at Div 12

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Shakey077 said:

They didn't really have much in the way of choices. BYD was not giving the money back already spent on the 40ft buses. Either they work a deal out with BYD and exchange them for the 60ft buses or they waste the millions and have the 40ft BYD's sit for 12 years at Div 12

We both know the same thing will happen to these BYD's they will sit at Division 12 after 6-18 months lol 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2017 at 10:14 PM, OR Transit Fan said:

I see that LA is starting to turn into Portland.. Sad.

What?

LAX's transit access sucks, and that's putting it mildly. 

If you don't live in Los Angeles its easy to underestimate how far everything is from everything else. The freeways are congested, the upper and lower roadways at LAX can't handle a single additional car beyond what they have now, etc. If you're coming from the Hollywood/Silver Lake/Downtown or even Pasadena areas its a multi-hour jaunt on transit to get to LAX, with 3 or 4 transfers. If you take the Flyaway from Union Station, at least its a straight shot, but you still have to get to Union Station and then pay an additional $9 for the privilege of riding it. 

Whatever money from Measure M that can be used to increase access to LAX, the better.

For today, I rode the following vehicles on several lines during my own trip:

1. 3909 on line 460

2. Metro Rail cars 207 and 212 on the Metro Green Line

3. 5315 and 5389 on Metro Rapid line 740

4. 5385 on Metro Rapid line 710

5. Metro Rail car 596 on the Metro Purple Line

6. 5416 on line 4

7. 8050 and 8087 on Metro Rapid line 794

8. 5384 on line 81

9. 11002 and 11047 on line 130

10. 11065 on line 205

11. Metro Rail car 113 on the Metro Blue Line

12. 11008 on line 128

Ken Porter Auctions has sold 3 compobus units 7981, 7983, 7990, several NABI 40-LFW CNG buses with Doosan engines, and 7482 on auction two days ago. 7540 was among one of those repowered units that had a Doosan GL11K, the type of engine that is believed to have led to the retirement of many repowered units. Last week, I saw unit 5437 sitting in a yard full of RVs at Kilroy Airport while I rode on a Long Beach Transit bus on route 111. Several Metro Rail vehicles I saw on several lines had 2, 3, 4, and up to 6 rail cars in a group. So far, all of the buses with Doosan engines should have been retired by now.

LACMTA 5385IMG_0764LACMTA 6057IMG_0763LACMTA 11008 (2)LACMTA 5384LACMTA 547

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

LA Metro to purchase 64 new Chinese-built transit vehicles

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority has contracted with China Railway Rolling Stock Corp. to build 64 new transit vehicles for the agency’s Red and Purple lines.

The HR4000 heavy rail vehicles will replace existing trains operating in the Los Angeles, Mid-Wilshire District, and North Hollywood regions. The agency is also earmarking 34 of the new railcars for use on the Purple Line’s first 4-mile extension from the Mid-Wilshire District to Beverly Hills, which will open in 2023.

The Chinese rail supplier will have the first pilot vehicle ready by the spring of 2020 with the entire order ready-to-go by September 2021. The subway cars’ exterior shells will be built at the company’s facility in Changchun, China, while all of the major components will be manufactured at a new facility in Los Angeles. 

The base order is valued at $647 million and is funded through local and federal sources, including a local sales tax.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2017/03/24-la-metro-to-purchase-64-new-chinese-built-transit-vehicles

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://metro.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=3078355&GUID=FAC7EA54-A862-44C0-A4CA-FF1D06FC4E88&Options=ID|Text|&Search=el+dorado

Looks like LA Metro is purchasing 295 El Dorado Axxess buses as ENC won out on Local content and manufacturing (Riverside, CA). LACMTA can advertise this as locally built and there are options for 305 more buses. El Dorado was the most expensive bid with Nova all but winning and New Flyer being the cheapest. 

On 6/1/2017 at 0:15 AM, Blue Bus Fan said:

In the Transit industry you should be looking at your system every 10-12 years. That is considered to be best practice. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Transit said:

It looks like ENC hit a grand slam winning this contract...I wonder why Gillig wasn't interest in it?

Could be due to the availability or perhaps they did bid on that contract but were rejected or pulled out. Gillig did bid on the Chicago contract before, but perhaps they could not get the timing right. Gillig likes the smaller contracts where they do not have to make hundreds of buses at once. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Transit said:

It looks like ENC hit a grand slam winning this contract...I wonder why Gillig wasn't interest in it?

Nova could have won if you took out the local content portion. El Dorado has been trying to make a breakthrough in the transit contracts with PACE and what not and if they can build for LA Metro, they can compete with other large agency contracts. 

• Like 1

ENC doesn't really go after large contracts...their philosophy has always been to bid on contracts that they have a realistic chance of winning, which for them unfortunately doesn't happen very often...I was hoping this would have change when they were purchased by REV three years ago.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Transit said:

ENC doesn't really go after large contracts...their philosophy has always been to bid on contracts that they have a realistic chance of winning, which for them unfortunately doesn't happen very often...I was hoping this would have change when they were purchased by REV three years ago.

That seems to have changed with this bid and contract award from LA Metro. 

1 hour ago, Shakey077 said:

That seems to have changed with this bid and contract award from LA Metro. 

They only won because they build their buses in Riverside, CA. That and they could probably build buses right away unlike New Flyer and Nova as New Flyer is backlogged for 18 months. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Transit said:

Gillig has a similar philosophy as they like to bid on contracts (including large ones) where they can spread it out over several fiscal years (50-100 buses/fiscal year). Gillig's new facility in Livermore could allow them to bid on bigger orders.

Some will likely go to contractors and some to LA metro and this could be a bigger breakthrough once LA Metro orders all 305 options for 600 buses. I could see them becoming a player thanks to REV group. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, XN40 said:

They only won because they build their buses in Riverside, CA. That and they could probably build buses right away unlike New Flyer and Nova as New Flyer is backlogged for 18 months. 

Gillig has a similar philosophy as they like to bid on contracts (including large ones) where they can spread it out over several fiscal years (50-100 buses/fiscal year). Gillig's new facility in Livermore could allow them to bid on bigger orders.

Some will likely go to contractors and some to LA metro and this could be a bigger breakthrough once LA Metro orders all 305 options for 600 buses. I could see them becoming a player thanks to REV group. 

Agreed.