Los Angeles MTA

Orion V

• 4 weeks later...

I rode units 11067 and 11027 on route 130 today, so far MV Transportation has that route and all the Orion VIs in their base as well. The MV Transportation base is 94% diesel and 6% CNG, compared to Metro's non-contracted bases, in which they mostly have 100% CNG.  Still, MV Transportation rejects the New Flyer XN40s Metro recently ordered from, just because they're only used to replace the 2001 and 2002 NABI 40-LFWs. The builder's plate on those buses are hidden inside the bus, which means they were built in early 2001. All the Cummins diesel buses have been taken out of the fleet, just because they were used on certain inferior buses such as the Blue Bird CSREs, Thomas TL960s, ElDorado MST-IIs, and Flxible Metros.  

IMG_0562LACMTA 11067LACMTA 11027

I rode unit 11023 on route 130 and unit 11038 on route 232 for today. MV Transportation has switched some of their New Flyer C40LFs recently for New Flyer XN40s from Southland Transit just as route 270 has been discontinued. Just because they haven't killed them yet, doesn't mean they're not onto them. Fortunately these diesels have not resulted in contamination. All the Gilligs died long ago! Only Orion remains... by whatever means! They are still in control! And I assure you; There's absolutely no NABIs in that contractor. I want more than just to ride diesel buses... I want them!  OC Bus should've walked away when they had the chance.

LACMTA 11023

I rode units 11002 and 11007 on route 130. Just because they haven't killed them yet, doesn't mean they're not onto them. Fortunately these diesels have not resulted in contamination. I want more than just to ride diesel buses... I want them!  OC Bus should've walked away when they had the chance.

LACMTA 11002

9 hours ago, OCTD 2039 said:

I must not use natural gas in these attempts. Newer buses are for the weak.

Why?

CNG buses are cleaner. If you haven't lived there long enough, Los Angeles has an air pollution problem that has thankfully been getting better thanks to things like natural gas powered buses.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I rode units 11039 and 11044 on route 130 for today. There were XN40s ran by MV Public Transportation used to take over the 232. Fortunately these diesels have not resulted in contamination. The Orions that were sealed within the bus base has awakened. Now I just need to harness its power. Diesel buses will finally come to be! Nyah ha ha ha! And I want more than just ride natural gas! I want them!!

LACMTA 11039 (2)LACMTA 11044IMG_0592

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OCTD 2039 said:

Diesel buses will finally come to be! Nyah ha ha ha! And I want more than just ride natural gas! I want them!

Why do want more Diesel buses? Look CNG are match more cleaner.

Also, I don't know that match about Calfornia:

1. It is a the law that Transit need to operate CNG or Gasoline hybrid buses.

2. Has bad air quality.

12 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

Why do want more Diesel buses? Look CNG are match more cleaner.

Also, I don't know that match about Calfornia:

1. It is a the law that Transit need to operate CNG or Gasoline hybrid buses.

2. Has bad air quality.

When t_harris01 comes to Los Angeles in 3 days, he is very likely to have diesel Orion VIs from MV Public Transportation on routes 125, 130, 205, and 232. I have been opposed to newer buses due to the fact they look inferior and are simply pieces of scrap metal! I've had it of riding OC Bus' New Flyer C40LFRs and XN40s due to the fact they all have one powertrain in common: Cummins Westport ISL9-G and Allison B400R6. And yet, a user on SubChat told me to take the gas pipe, so I did: http://www.subchat.com/otchat/read.asp?Id=1386547

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Flyer is the first transit manufacturer to offer the industry's cleanest certified engine and will deliver the first original equipment manufacturer ("OEM") installation of a 2016 Cummins Westport ISL G Near Zero ("ISL G NZ") engine in the third quarter of 2016.

The ISL G NZ compressed natural gas ("CNG") engine will be used to power a New Flyer Xcelsior XN40 bus for the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LA Metro).  LA Metro operates the largest natural gas engine transit vehicle fleet in North America.

The ISL G NZ NOx natural gas engine has been developed by Cummins Westport Inc. and is the first mid-range engine in North America to receive certification to meet the 0.02 g/bhp-hr. optional Near Zero NOx Emissions standards from both U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Air Resources Board (ARB) in California.  Cummins Westport states that this certification represents a 10-fold emissions reduction below current EPA nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions standards, making it the cleanest engine in the industry.  Cummins Westport also describes the engine as operating 90% below the particulate matter (PM) standard, and 16% below the C02 emissions standard.  In addition to the dramatic reduction in NOx, the ISL G NZ features Closed Crankcase Ventilation, stated to reduce engine related methane emissions by 70%, thereby enhancing its greenhouse gas benefits.

Full press release from New Flyer can be found here.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I rode unit 3920 on line 460, and then units 11044 and 11053 on line 130 once again. At Southern California Transit Fans on Facebook, 5405 was operating on the 130. I attempted to find New Flyer C40LFs on MV Transportation's lines 125 and 130, but failed as there were Orion VIs on the 130, and New Flyer XN40s on the 125. I want more than just ride the OC Bus! I want them!

IMG_0606

I rode units 5399 and then 5357 on line 130 for today. I was supposed to get an Orion VI diesel bus, but then I had to ride those buses as a result of a failed attempt on riding the 125. Just because they haven't killed them yet doesn't mean they're not onto them. I saw 2 New Flyer C40LFs and 2 Orion VIs running on line 130. I want more than just to ride diesel buses... I want them!

LACMTA 5357IMG_0608LACMTA 5399

• 2 weeks later...
LACMTA 11063IMG_0625IMG_0627LACMTA 11032LACMTA 11037

On line 130, I rode unit 11063 and then unit 11037 as of today. Just because they haven't killed them yet, doesn't mean they're not onto them. Fortunately these diesels have not resulted in contamination. I want more than just to ride diesel buses! I want them!

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 0:54 AM, mike from edmonton said:

Just to be clear, exactly what are you planning on doing with/to these diesel busses  you want?

The OCTA took out all the diesel buses for weekend runs, which made me finding these type of buses impossible to find and ride on. I avoided riding the 40-foot New Flyer Xcelsiors from the OC Bus as of yet to the point I'm not gonna stand much longer just because the liberals want to destroy them both, turning them into scrap metal! I grow weary of this, end it now.

1 hour ago, OCTD 2039 said:

The OCTA took out all the diesel buses for weekend runs, which made me finding these type of buses impossible to find and ride on. I avoided riding the 40-foot New Flyer Xcelsiors from the OC Bus as of yet to the point I'm not gonna stand much longer just because the liberals want to destroy them both, turning them into scrap metal! I grow weary of this, end it now.

This isn't a new thing...

South Coast Air Quality Management District adopted rule 1192 banning the purchase of non-alternative fuel transit buses on June 16, 2000. According to your profile you were four months old at the time.

Ever since the rule was passed, transit operators have been slowly phasing out diesel buses. It's also worth mentioning that while the population in Los Angeles continues to grow, air pollution has continued to decrease as progressively more stringent air quality rules go into effect. That's a great thing, but the air in Los Angeles still does not meet federal smog limits.

• Like 2

Measure M rapid transit: 

http://la.curbed.com/2016/8/29/12687320/la-metro-map-gif-measure-m-sales-tax-ballot

I have to say this good to keep half a percentage sales tax increase forever. 

Personally, I think they should reconsider the extension of the Blue line or A line when the regional connector opens, to Citrus because that is crazy long route with little grade separation for the train. I think they should keep the gold line from Metro Centre to Citrus and Blue line or A line could go from Long Beach to Union Station or Chinatown. 

On 01/10/2016 at 11:00 PM, OCTD 2039 said:

Fortunately these diesels have not resulted in contamination.

Oh, but they have resulted in contamination, and lots of it. Those diesels are certainly putting out more pollution than the CNG's, and even newer diesels.

This must be one of the last large fleets of Orion VI's?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I rode units 11053 and 11016 on line 130 once again due to the fact I don't give a damn on how the OCTA fails to maintain their buses and routes while getting their own New Flyer Xcelsiors at a rate of 5 buses per week.

IMG_0637IMG_0635LACMTA 11016LACMTA 11053

• 4 weeks later...