Los Angeles MTA

One unit, 7885, a 2002 NABI 40-LFW CNG, had a Cummins Westport L Gas Plus. 2034, a 1979 Grumman Flxible 870 model 53102-8-1 from the OCTD, came to Southern California Rapid Transit District as unit 5865. Units 2554, 2556, 2578, 2624, 2718, 2763, and 2764 had ZF Ecomats for a very short time, while units 2551, 2553, 2559 and 2571 had Luminator destination signs and 2570 had fiber optic windows. 2 units, 7539 and 7541, were 1982 Grumman Flxible 870 model 35096-Ts leased from South Coast Area Transit.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:59 PM, TheAverageJoe said:

What is happening with the VI fleet. They were suppose to retire this year.

The OBI Orion VIs aren't going to be disintegrated soon enough because the XN40s are trying to rid the C40LFs, 2001 and 2002 model NABI 40-LFW CNGs. Unit 11005 was believed be in Transit Sales International at one point for some maintenance problems.

I am coming for the first time ever to Los Angeles Aug 22 to 26. I was wondering if anyone would wanna get together and show me around hot spots to get great transit and train photos. I'd like to get some of the Orion VII if still active come August. Shoot me a msg if interested

37 minutes ago, t_harris01 said:

I am coming for the first time ever to Los Angeles Aug 22 to 26. I was wondering if anyone would wanna get together and show me around hot spots to get great transit and train photos. I'd like to get some of the Orion VII if still active come August. Shoot me a msg if interested

I saw an Orion VI at Los Cerritos Center while I went to Bakersfield about 4 months ago.

The Orion VIs, units 11000-11067, are placed at lines 657, 232, 205, 130, and 125. These units are operated by MV Transportation and First Transit.

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/readflat.asp?Id=135841&p=1#135968

The Orion VI buses in Metro are believed to be "dungeons", where they have heavily tinted windows, blue interior strobe lights, and are specified differently, unlike other buses in the Metro fleet. They're the last diesels in the fleet and use Detroit Diesel Series 50 along with Allison B400R5 in them.

The OCTA has D40LFs made in 1997-1998 with units 5301-5397, 5401-5418, that use the Cummins ISC and Allison B400R6 in them. Also, OCTA has D60LFs made in 2001 with units 7401-7420. The last D60LFs in the OCTA were the first D60LFs powered with the Cummins ISL and is used as the original engine, along with the Allison B500R6. I rode units 5315, 5372, 5388, 5408, 5414, 5415, and 7417, at which those buses are diesels.

http://www.rapidtransit-press.com/mta.html

3 units, 813-814, and 817, 1991 Gillig 4096TB6V92TAs, were leased from Foothill Transit by First Transit, along with units 1000-1002, 1006, and 1008-1010, 1994 Gillig S50T4096. The Orion VIs are believed to 2000 models according to their VINs.

Metro had 1997, 2001, 2002, and 2003 El Dorado Aerotechs operated by First Transit, Southland Transit and Veolia, with units 0025, 12530-12555, and 12571.

Metro also had unit 2006, a 1992 TMC T80-206 from Omnitrans, operated by Transportation Concepts.

Units 12500-12527 are El Dorado National MSTIIs made in 2001, and were originally numbered 11500-11527, with VINs of 1CH89443-470.

Metro Awarded $4.3 Million to Add Electric Buses to Valley’s Orange Line

By Mark Madler Friday, April 22, 2016

The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority received a $4.3 million federal grant to purchase electric buses for use on the Orange Line busway through the San Fernando Valley.

The Federal Transportation Administration grant will go toward five zero-emission buses and eight charging stations, according to Metro and Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Sherman Oaks, who advocated on behalf of Metro for the grant.

“Commuters in the San Fernando Valley will benefit greatly from an addition to the fleet that can help alleviate crowded buses and waiting times,” Sherman said in a statement. “And with the zero-emission technology, these new buses will help reduce smog and other harmful greenhouse gases.”

The Orange Line opened in 2005 and serves stops between North Hollywood, Woodland Hills and Chatsworth. Total boardings in March fell 8 percent to 719,160 from the prior-year period.

The supplier of the five busses was not identified in the release.

Last year, Metro added five electric buses to its fleet built in Lancaster by BYD Coach & Bus, a division of BYD Co. in Shenzhen, China. The agency has contracted with BYD to buy 20 additional buses.

Source: http://sfvbj.com/news/2016/apr/22/metro-awarded-43-million-add-electric-busses-valle/

5 hours ago, MAX BRT said:

The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority received a $4.3 million federal grant to purchase electric buses for use on the Orange Line busway through the San Fernando Valley.

The Federal Transportation Administration grant will go toward five zero-emission buses and eight charging stations, according to Metro and Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Sherman Oaks, who advocated on behalf of Metro for the grant.

“Commuters in the San Fernando Valley will benefit greatly from an addition to the fleet that can help alleviate crowded buses and waiting times,” Sherman said in a statement. “And with the zero-emission technology, these new buses will help reduce smog and other harmful greenhouse gases.”

The Orange Line opened in 2005 and serves stops between North Hollywood, Woodland Hills and Chatsworth. Total boardings in March fell 8 percent to 719,160 from the prior-year period.

Last year, Metro added five electric buses to its fleet built in Lancaster by BYD Coach & Bus, a division of BYD Co. in Shenzhen, China. The agency has contracted with BYD to buy 20 additional buses.

Source: http://sfvbj.com/news/2016/apr/22/metro-awarded-43-million-add-electric-busses-valle/

That so cool to hear hopefully they can get more if these buses are successful in service.

18 minutes ago, rickycourtney said:

I thought Metro was looking at purchasing bi-articulated buses for use on the Orange Line. What happened to that plan?

I think it might not happen because there no transit authority or bus maker in North American and California law. Did California do away with motar vechile over 60 ft are not allowed to drive without a special permit? 

1 hour ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

I think it might not happen because there no transit authority or bus maker in North American and California law. Did California do away with motar vechile over 60 ft are not allowed to drive without a special permit? 

Metro received an exemption to operate bi-articulated buses back in October: 

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-gov-brown-on-sales-tax-increase-for-l-a-county-20150917-story.html

But you're right, the larger issue might be finding a qualified builder.

Foreign bus builders have experience, but the buses would likely require changes to make them compliant with US regulations and likely wouldn't qualify for federal funding (because of "Buy America" requirements). 

North American bus builders have no experience and I imagine there's plenty of re-engineering required to make a bus bi-articulated.

On 4/23/2016 at 7:11 PM, rickycourtney said:

Metro received an exemption to operate bi-articulated buses back in October: 

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-gov-brown-on-sales-tax-increase-for-l-a-county-20150917-story.html

But you're right, the larger issue might be finding a qualified builder.

Foreign bus builders have experience, but the buses would likely require changes to make them compliant with US regulations and likely wouldn't qualify for federal funding (because of "Buy America" requirements). 

North American bus builders have no experience and I imagine there's plenty of re-engineering required to make a bus bi-articulated.

They can apply for waivers if what they need is not being offered in the USA market.

On 4/23/2016 at 7:00 AM, MAX BRT said:

I'm guessing the order is for the 60ft version of BYD electric bus... Metro demo the bus on Orange line last year.

16042092901_dfd6454408_c.jpgLACMTA BYD 60ft electric bus by L.A. Urban Soul, on Flickr

http://thesource.metro.net/2014/12/15/metro-orange-line-charging-into-the-future/

Rumor has it that the BYD artics are 82' long for the Orange line as such buses are now approved. 

LA Metro is looking to order 400 60' buses to replace the NABI BRT. Most likely XN60, but Nova bus could make a splash. 

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 0:15 AM, XN40 said:

Rumor has it that the BYD artics are 82' long for the Orange line as such buses are now approved. 

LA Metro is looking to order 400 60' buses to replace the NABI BRT. Most likely XN60, but Nova bus could make a splash. 

The first to the last NABI 60-BRTs are only 11-7 years old if Metro tried to replace them. They must wait at least 4-9 years to have the NABI 60-BRTs taken off the fleet, and that additional articulated buses are to be only done in small amounts.

2 hours ago, newflyerxn40 said:

LACMTA is ordering 5 of New Flyer XE60, I think it will have a new livery, and only for Orange Line. 

http://newflyer.com/index/new-flyer-name-partner-for-an-fta-program-regarding-zero-emissions

OH, wow! New Flyer is the first to sell a battery electric arctic. BYD tried but came up short on this one. That's very interesting.

60 footers now! Battery electric appears to be the future of bus transit.

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2016 at 5:32 PM, MAX BRT said:

OH, wow! New Flyer is the first to sell a battery electric arctic. BYD tried but came up short on this one. That's very interesting.

60 footers now! Battery electric appears to be the future of bus transit.

That's a surprise for sure. Perhaps BYD couldn't guarantee the bus will be assembled in LA County to meet Build America requirement.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bzcat said:

That's a surprise for sure. Perhaps BYD couldn't guarantee the bus will be assembled in LA County to meet Build America requirement.

Good speculation. I've also read that LA Metro was disappointed in the range of their BYD 40 footers.