Los Angeles MTA

Orion V

4480177929_fc0c02aaa1.jpg

yup they changed the flooring. I could of sworn NABI 7000 has this type of flooring too.

That seating looks similar to the seats you'd find on Foothill Transit's F1500-Series NABI 40-LFW's and F1600-Series NABI 60-BRT's. I wonder if they're the same type but different styles...

That seating looks similar to the seats you'd find on Foothill Transit's F1500-Series NABI 40-LFW's and F1600-Series NABI 60-BRT's. I wonder if they're the same type but different styles...

The seats in these LA buses are American Seating's Vision model. Foothill Transit's have Kustom Seating's Venus model. They do look similar, expecially the back panel.

Bus #9495 was a demo NABI 65-BRT that has since been sent back to NABI, I believe it was only in service for about a year on the Orange Line...

CIMG0001.jpg

I think this is the 65 BRT, I caught it on the Orange Line either late 2009 or early 2010. I only know that because I took it with my Palm Pre which I got in late October.

I used to ride the Orange Line Daily over a year ago and rode on 9495 often. I'm not out that way anymore, so I don't know if it's still around or not. Has anyone seen or know of 9213...that was the bus that caught fire on the orange line. Just curious to see if LACMTA scrapped it or fixed it.

On another note, I hope LACMTA mass orders the 42.5 ft NABI hybrids. Those buses are really sleek looking. Hopefully they don't have problems with them. BTW, all of the ones they have seem to be assigned to line 485. I'm not sure why that line was selected to put all of them on.

One other thought...maybe only 4201 was sent back to NABI because of damage. If anyone recalls, that was the bus that was damaged in the rock slide incident somewhere along PCH. I think that bus was working the 534 line when it happened. I haven't seen that bus ever since.

This evening, I saw NABI hyrbid 4200 on line 485. In recent weeks, I have now spotted 4200, 4202-4205. Someone commented that some of these were returned to NABI, but with seeing almost all of them I don't think that's the case. I have not yet spotted 4201 or 4206 on line 485. Has anyone else? If one was sent back it must have been 4201 from that PCH rockslide. That was the hybrid that was damaged in the slide.

4200-4206 have been around for a while now and there were many comments that most were sitting around at various divisions not being used much. Now almost all of them are seen operating daily on line 485. I wonder why they've suddenly started putting them into full time use?

This evening, I saw NABI hyrbid 4200 on line 485. In recent weeks, I have now spotted 4200, 4202-4205. Someone commented that some of these were returned to NABI, but with seeing almost all of them I don't think that's the case. I have not yet spotted 4201 or 4206 on line 485. Has anyone else? If one was sent back it must have been 4201 from that PCH rockslide. That was the hybrid that was damaged in the slide.

4200-4206 have been around for a while now and there were many comments that most were sitting around at various divisions not being used much. Now almost all of them are seen operating daily on line 485. I wonder why they've suddenly started putting them into full time use?

I saw one of them late Saturday night on 485 while I was waiting for a Silver Streak, which was also a NABI 42BRT (CNG). I think another question would be why are they only using this bus for one line?

Does 4206 even exist? I thought the 4200s were numbered 4200-4205 -- six buses rather than seven buses. I can't find a definitive answer on whether there are six or seven buses.

That's some info i found for LACMTA bus fleet, it shows that it has a total number of 6 as of 10/15/09.

BUS__Assig__report__by__assigned__Fac__all__Operating__Facilities_101509.pdf

That's some info i found for LACMTA bus fleet, it shows that it has a total number of 6 as of 10/15/09.

Thanks for that report, it'll help with my busfanning

9495 is indeed still around! I spotted it yesterday in service on the Orange Line at Warner Center. Maybe it wasn't returned to NABI after all.

Glad to hear it's still around...it's a cool looking bus and so long!!! Maybe the person that mentioned it was returned to NABI got it confused with 9213. That bus caught fire on the Orange Line. I'm not sure if LACTMA repaired it and returned it to service or sent it back. I hope someone can post if they see this bus back in service. I have seen all the silver NABI 60s on the Orange Line before except 9222 and that's when I used that line daily for a few months.

And I'll second the thanks for that document. It's interesting to see how LACMTA assigns buses to divisions. The assignments are very random, especially when only one or two buses of a series are at one divsion and then the rest are all somewhere else. Then there are some series that are spread out over many divisions (such as the 7300s).

9495 is indeed still around! I spotted it yesterday in service on the Orange Line at Warner Center. Maybe it wasn't returned to NABI after all.

Now that gives me an excuse to go busfanning once I get the chance. Perhaps I'll try out the Orange Line bikeway as well.

ATE2 - thanks once again for the detailed division-by-division. I wonder if the two "white" C40s listed are still white, or if they've gotten the "poppy" treatment.

According to this site's wiki, 9495 was returned, obviously it needs to be fixed along with a few other things...

I know we still have many more NABI 45C-Metro's still coming in and the first of the NABI 31-LFW's are being delivered, but does anyone know about LACMTA's buses on order beyond those? I read on Wikipedia and on this site's Wiki that we have 100 NABI 65-BRT's and close to 800 Hybrid NABI 42-BRT's on order as well, but I haven't seen or read anything about this anywhere else. Can anyone clear this up?

lucian,

I can't answer your question with any degree of confidence - rumors abound (as always)!

I will say that just as soon as I spot any new equipment, I'll take pictures and you'll be among the first to see them.

On a personal note; I sure hope that LACMTA knows what they're doing by putting too many NABI's in one basket - It's never a good idea to depend solely upon one manufacturer - the City of New York learned that lesson early on with 800 faulty Flxible 870's!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

On a personal note; I sure hope that LACMTA knows what they're doing by putting too many NABI's in one basket - It's never a good idea to depend solely upon one manufacturer - the City of New York learned that lesson early on with 800 faulty Flxible 870's!

For as much as the New York MTA loves Orions. Their newest artics are NovaBuses and they are also in the process of testing a 40' NovaBus product. It appears that they still will have some fleet diversity, unlike LACMTA where everything will become NABI.

For as much as the New York MTA loves Orions. Their newest artics are NovaBuses and they are also in the process of testing a 40' NovaBus product. It appears that they still will have some fleet diversity, unlike LACMTA where everything will become NABI.

It's only a matter of time before we do become a 100% NABI fleet, just the Neoplans and New Flyers stand in the way of that...

On the Wiki page, the Neoplans (6700-6799 only) are listed as currently getting an engine upgrade. Is this really true if LACMTA is planning to get rid of these in the next few years? It seems like a waste of money.

It has already happened, as of 2008. They all have Cummins L-Gas Plus or Cummins ISL-G engines. I'm fixing the info as I speak...

I really doubt that the LACMTA is going to dispose of all its Neoplans in the next few years. I can see them getting rid of the 4500s/4600s/4700s in the near future but that's it. There is simply no way that NABI or any other manufacturer can provide enough buses in a relatively short amount of time.

The last of the 1992 TMC RTS fleet was retired in 2009 after 17 years of service. We'll probably see a similar lifespan for the Neoplans as well, and since the 6700s are relatively new, they probably won't be gone until the latter half of this decade.

There is simply no way that NABI or any other manufacturer can provide enough buses in a relatively short amount of time.

Perhaps Gillig or NovaBus can if they were in the Gas-Electric Hybrid or the CNG business... LACMTA can also try to go for Orion since their backlog isn't as big as New Flyer's is.

As I have talked about before, unlike much of the system, NABI used to be a rather uncommon bus out in the SFV. In fact, up until recently, it was pretty exciting to ride the LFWs on most of the local routes. Older Neoplan after older Neoplan had been the standard for awhile on most of them. Because of this, I couldn't wait to see the SFV pick up new buses (particularly Division 8). I was even happier when the 45Cs became those buses! But now that the new bus novelty is wearing away and the Neoplans are really going away without some newer model replacement, I think I can say with conviction that I am going to miss them. The sound of the Neoplan engines has greeted me every morning when I have been at home for many years, and they were the first buses I rode. Perhaps some SEPTA fans can shed some light about how things are in (mostly) post-Neoplan world.

I know I shouldn't get too worked up over a bus, but I suppose that is part of what this site is about. Maybe I'll write them an obituary...

As I have talked about before, unlike much of the system, NABI used to be a rather uncommon bus out in the SFV. In fact, up until recently, it was pretty exciting to ride the LFWs on most of the local routes. Older Neoplan after older Neoplan had been the standard for awhile on most of them. Because of this, I couldn't wait to see the SFV pick up new buses (particularly Division 8). I was even happier when the 45Cs became those buses! But now that the new bus novelty is wearing away and the Neoplans are really going away without some newer model replacement, I think I can say with conviction that I am going to miss them. The sound of the Neoplan engines has greeted me every morning when I have been at home for many years, and they were the first buses I rode. Perhaps some SEPTA fans can shed some light about how things are in (mostly) post-Neoplan world.

I know I shouldn't get too worked up over a bus, but I suppose that is part of what this site is about. Maybe I'll write them an obituary...

Yeah, I know how you feel. The Neoplans do have a unique character to them and I too will miss them.

At Torrance Transit we're about to retire the last Gillig Phantom with a DD 6v92 engine, I'll really miss it because the sound is just tremendous and it's the sound & bus that got me into transit.