Orion V

Los Angeles MTA

Any update for those Eldorado Axcess BRT buses so far?? Are they already in service??

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cathay 888 said:

Any update for those Eldorado Axcess BRT buses so far?? Are they already in service??

So far only 1 has arrived, that was the pilot 1505. No sign as yet of any more delivered. The order was supposed to start delivery in Jan of 2 per week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Shakey077 said:

So far only 1 has arrived, that was the pilot 1505. No sign as yet of any more delivered. The order was supposed to start delivery in Jan of 2 per week. 

Something just hit me. Is the plan for LACMTA to be all-electric by 2030, or to buy nothing BUT electric buses by 2030? If its the former, then I don't see how that's possible, that is to have the bus fleet all electric by then. The reason being is that the newest CNG buses will be built around 2020-2021 time frame. That will mean that they won't even see a full decade of service before they have to be retired? Can someone elaborate on this? 

4 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Something just hit me. Is the plan for LACMTA to be all-electric by 2030, or to buy nothing BUT electric buses by 2030? If its the former, then I don't see how that's possible, that is to have the bus fleet all electric by then. The reason being is that the newest CNG buses will be built around 2020-2021 time frame. That will mean that they won't even see a full decade of service before they have to be retired? Can someone elaborate on this? 

https://thesource.metro.net/2017/07/27/as-metro-pursues-electric-bus-fleet-by-2030-three-bus-contracts-go-to-board-on-thursday/

They did approve a motion to go all zero emissions by 2030 but at the same meeting gave contracts for CNG buses to be delivered through 2022. Looks like the motion for all electric in contigent on the technology improving and costs lowering for those buses, so they have an out to keep ordering CNG buses for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Shakey077 said:

https://thesource.metro.net/2017/07/27/as-metro-pursues-electric-bus-fleet-by-2030-three-bus-contracts-go-to-board-on-thursday/

They did approve a motion to go all zero emissions by 2030 but at the same meeting gave contracts for CNG buses to be delivered through 2022. Looks like the motion for all electric in contigent on the technology improving and costs lowering for those buses, so they have an out to keep ordering CNG buses for now.

So, there's a chance there will still be CNGs in service by circa 2035?

2 hours ago, Chris.A said:

So, there's a chance there will still be CNGs in service by circa 2035?

Quite possible their will be some still running.

33 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

The XN40s will probably be retired by then though. lol

I would expect the current group on XN40's would be gone before 2035 for sure. The would eligible for replacement starting in 2025-2027 although they'll probably hold onto them till after the 2028 Olympics.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shakey077 said:

I would expect the current group on XN40's would be gone before 2035 for sure. The would eligible for replacement starting in 2025-2027 although they'll probably hold onto them till after the 2028 Olympics.

Unless they decide to by a couple hundred more at some point in the near future. The XN60s may even influence that. 

Did LACMTA ever considered getting Orion V CNGs or Orion VII CNGs?

8 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Unless they decide to by a couple hundred more at some point in the near future. The XN60s may even influence that. 

I can see XE or XHE 40's in Metro's future, although NFI will need to do more work locally in California on  the buses as that is the big push now, keeping tax dollars at work here in California. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shakey077 said:

I can see XE or XHE 40's in Metro's future, although NFI will need to do more work locally in California on  the buses as that is the big push now, keeping tax dollars at work here in California. 

Have they ever considered Orion V CNGs or Orion VII CNGs when they were around?

15 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Note sure if they ever did or not

On 1/31/2019 at 3:32 PM, Chris.A said:

Orion put in a couple of bids in SoCal but never was really serious about winning the business. They couldn't compete with NABI which had a finishing facility in the Inland Empire to do interior fitting so it was getting huge local employment bonuses in all the bids.

17 hours ago, bzcat said:

Orion put in a couple of bids in SoCal but never was really serious about winning the business. They couldn't compete with NABI which had a finishing facility in the Inland Empire to do interior fitting so it was getting huge local employment bonuses in all the bids.

I know that LACMTA, Foothill Transit, LADOT, and a couple other area systems each had at least one order of Orion buses of some kind.

On 2/6/2019 at 3:00 PM, Chris.A said:

I know that LACMTA, Foothill Transit, LADOT, and a couple other area systems each had at least one order of Orion buses of some kind.

Torrance (VI) , Long Beach (II) and Thousand Oaks (VII) come to mind 

On 2/8/2019 at 6:37 PM, TheAverageJoe said:

Torrance (VI) , Long Beach (II) and Thousand Oaks (VII) come to mind 

Torrance also had 5 1985 35-foot Orion Is (422-426)

According to Wikipedia,

Los Angeles

Since the early 1980’s Neoplan was a contractor for Southern California Rapid Transit District, which became the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority. In September 1984 cracks were found in 128 Neoplan buses, more cracks found in 92 buses up to February 1985.

Neoplan in the 1990s had a high problem occurrence rate in many of its methanol and ethanol fueled buses. On January 4, 2000, a report by MTA Inspector General Arthur Sinai cited several problems on about 250 new Neoplan buses delivered between 1997 and 1999.[17] They included a dozen chronic defects on clutches, problems with exhaust pipes and engine oil reservoirs, failing door structures and defective wheelchair lifts. The report also noted that “none of these problems were remedied by the manufacturer.” The report noted problems went unfixed for long periods, and if repaired often done at MTA expense instead of under warranties. Some warranty claims were refused by Neoplan due to lateness in processing complaints. The report also noted conflicts of interest with MTA inspectors. Three MTA personnel took jobs with Neoplan after leaving the MTA, with one of them working with Neoplan one month after their resignation. Many inspectors who spent time at the Lamar plant physically were caught fudging travel and expense accounts for nearly $10,000 in a 7 month period ending in 1997. One MTA engineer accused of account padding was charged with grand theft in Los Angeles in 1999.

FB_IMG_1550027394534.jpg

On 2/13/2019 at 10:27 PM, The Neoplan Rider Studios said:

Neoplan in the 1990s had a high problem occurrence rate in many of its methanol and ethanol fueled buses. On January 4, 2000, a report by MTA Inspector General Arthur Sinai cited several problems on about 250 new Neoplan buses delivered between 1997 and 1999.[17] They included a dozen chronic defects on clutches, problems with exhaust pipes and engine oil reservoirs, failing door structures and defective wheelchair lifts. The report also noted that “none of these problems were remedied by the manufacturer.” The report noted problems went unfixed for long periods, and if repaired often done at MTA expense instead of under warranties. Some warranty claims were refused by Neoplan due to lateness in processing complaints.

Wow. Well, Metro/MTA sure did a good job hiding those problems to the riding public.

Metro/MTA's various generations of Neoplans always appeared rock-solid to me, the unsuspecting rider. Even the original 3300s... while a bit dreary and faded toward the end, never felt like they were falling apart.

The newer Neoplans... they bought hundreds in a mad frenzy during the Consent Decree period of the mid/late 90s. I was not aware they were so troublesome behind the scenes. In a time when other parts of the system were faltering, the newer Neoplans seemed like the "face of improvement". They were clean, spacious and bright -- and felt reliable. To echo the slogan of the era, It's Getting Better on the Bus.

Is it just me, or did the 6700s enjoy a much longer lifespan than other Neos? They were the newest by only year, yet I remember them prowling D3 lines long after 4500-4700/6300-6600 batches retired completely. 6700s received new CNG engines at some point, did they not? In any case, I surely miss riding them on the 81 and 251...

• Haha 1