Los Angeles MTA

Orion V

On 6/12/2017 at 7:46 PM, XN40 said:

They only won because they build their buses in Riverside, CA. That and they could probably build buses right away unlike New Flyer and Nova as New Flyer is backlogged for 18 months. 

Gillig has a similar philosophy as they like to bid on contracts (including large ones) where they can spread it out over several fiscal years (50-100 buses/fiscal year). Gillig's new facility in Livermore could allow them to bid on bigger orders.

Some will likely go to contractors and some to LA metro and this could be a bigger breakthrough once LA Metro orders all 305 options for 600 buses. I could see them becoming a player thanks to REV group. 

I'm really surprised Eldorado won... and reading the report, it looks like Nova actually had the better bus and New Flyer had the cheapest contract but Eldorado won by being build locally as you mentioned.

But I suspect there was a bit of a bid rigging going on... New Flyer really suffered in its "technical compliance" scores, despite already having over 500 800 XN40 in service with Metro. Maybe someone in management decided that with NABI out of the picture, Metro can't have all its eggs in one New Flyer basket.

From a purely fanning standpoint, this is a welcome diversity to Metro's fleet. I just hope these buses don't end up being very expensive insurance policy against New Flyer dominance (Eldorado scored lowest in life cycle cost).

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

What do you like? All depends as everyone is different. You a bus or more a rail person? How long are you down for?

I'm fine with both - I'll be down there for slightly less than a week. 

I want to ride stuff TransLink doesn't have, specifically NABI and if Metro has GIlligs.

15 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

You should look out for the brand-new P3010 LRVs on the Blue and Expo Lines. AFAIK they're relatively common on the Gold Line but are still in the process of rolling out on the Blue/Expo Lines while the P865s are being phased out.

I've been wanting to ride the Expo Line anyways. Any way to track trains?

On 10/30/2017 at 8:00 PM, buizel10 said:

I'm fine with both - I'll be down there for slightly less than a week. 

I want to ride stuff TransLink doesn't have, specifically NABI and if Metro has GIlligs.

Should join some of the Facebook groups

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSocalBusFans/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fansoflbt/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LosAngelesMetroRail/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SoCalTransitfans/

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 7:52 PM, doglover44 said:

Anymore news or photos ?

Do you have a facebook? You can join "Fans Of Los Angeles Metro Rail" or "Southern Cal Transit Fans" fb groups, there tends to be a lot of info in those two groups.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ramirez said:

Do you have a facebook? You can join "Fans Of Los Angeles Metro Rail" or "Southern Cal Transit Fans" fb groups, there tends to be a lot of info in those two groups.

I second this. Both are very informative and well run groups. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

(drools)

The 6700s... did those spend their entire life at Division 3? I don't care how many New Flyers & NABIs there are, the 180-181 will always be Neoplan turf... ¡Siempre!

Oooooh, nice catch with the 1100s. Wow - what weird buses. Was there any functional advantage to the third axle? Seems excessive for a 40-foot vehicle that wasn't really much more than a standard transit bus. But I'm sure there's a backstory of which I am unaware...  One of those bad boys made it up to Santa Barbara as a party bus -- painted in gaudy silver. At last check, she camps out in a small lot off Chapala St.

• Like 1

@The Neoplan Rider Studios ... this convo got me thinking back even further.

The "original" Neoplans (3300-3714)... I always associate those with the Valleys (D8, D15... maybe with some occasional appearances at D9).

Did they ever have any presence at D3? It's hard to picture RTSes holding down the 180-181 at -any- point in history...

For that matter, I wonder where the 3300s ran their final runs. I recall them hanging on as late as ~2002 or so... but don't remember where the last ones were to be found...

17 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Oooooh, nice catch with the 1100s. Wow - what weird buses. Was there any functional advantage to the third axle? Seems excessive for a 40-foot vehicle that wasn't really much more than a standard transit bus. But I'm sure there's a backstory of which I am unaware...  One of those bad boys made it up to Santa Barbara as a party bus -- painted in gaudy silver. At last check, she camps out in a small lot off Chapala St.

I heard that the bus needed to tag axle to stay within axle weight limits.  Those things weighed about 31000 pounds, IIRC.

20 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

@The Neoplan Rider Studios ... this convo got me thinking back even further.

The "original" Neoplans (3300-3714)... I always associate those with the Valleys (D8, D15... maybe with some occasional appearances at D9).

Did they ever have any presence at D3? It's hard to picture RTSes holding down the 180-181 at -any- point in history...

For that matter, I wonder where the 3300s ran their final runs. I recall them hanging on as late as ~2002 or so... but don't remember where the last ones were to be found...

They were at D3 in the beginning (1984).  D3 had some high-3600s and 3700-3714.  Toward the late 80s, they left 3 and went elsewhere.  D12 also had them in the beginning, lost them around late 1984, then got some back around the late spring of 1985, when RTD did a major bus reshuffling They didn't stay long, by the beginning of 1986 they were gone, replaced by Grummans (blah).  Division 2 got some Neoplans (3441-3449 and 3451-3471) in late 1990, when it reopened as a revenue division after 5 years non-revenue.  In the beginning, they just ran weekday-only runs on the 420 and 424, I guess to cut down on deadhead mileage.  In June 1992, D2 became a full-time division again.  The Neoplans stayed there, and they may have gotten some others after awhile.  I think a few made it to D1 in the later days.  The only divisions that I can think of that never got them were D6 and D7.