Los Angeles MTA

Orion V

Too many of you are avoiding this question: The 2K05-06 LACMTA Nabi 60ft. brt artic buses (9200-9399, 9400-9494) have been and/or are about to be repowered with Cummins Westport ISL-G engines from Cummins L Gas + engines, which is supposed to last this year.

Since they are being repowered with new engines, why do those artics sound like they still have their old engines? I thought they would sound like the 2K07-08 nabi brt artics (9500-9594) which would delivered with Cummins Westport ISL-G engines?

Maybe the units you have seen aren't repowered yet? I have seen a few 93xx units repowered and they DO sound different than the original engine (Cummins Wesport L Gas +) they sound similar to the 95xx series. As for the 94xx units, i haven't seen any of them repowered yet....

Maybe the units you have seen aren't repowered yet? I have seen a few 93xx units repowered and they DO sound different than the original engine (Cummins Wesport L Gas +) they sound similar to the 95xx series. As for the 94xx units, i haven't seen any of them repowered yet....

I've seen some 9200-9399 series already repowered and ridden a few of them. Although, I don't get is they still sound like their original engines (without the backfire and the 'ooo-ooo-ooo' sound) and almost close to sounding like the engines of the 9500-9594 series.

That could of been the Gillig Brt CNG plus series be ready to be put in service early month month, instead of these XN40, but it's what it is though.

Too many of you are avoiding this question: The 2K05-06 LACMTA Nabi 60ft. brt artic buses (9200-9399, 9400-9494) have been and/or are about to be repowered with Cummins Westport ISL-G engines from Cummins L Gas + engines, which is supposed to last this year.

Since they are being repowered with new engines, why do those artics sound like they still have their old engines? I thought they would sound like the 2K07-08 nabi brt artics (9500-9594) which would delivered with Cummins Westport ISL-G engines?

Gillig never submitted a bid on the order of 550 buses, it only listed NABI and New Flyer as bidders on the document. There's a reason why Gillig didn't bid, i'm not sure though.

Gillig never submitted a bid on the order of 550 buses, it only listed NABI and New Flyer as bidders on the document. There's a reason why Gillig didn't bid, i'm not sure though.

From what I read in other posts is that Gillig doesn't want to bid on huge orders. I'm kinda glad they didn't choose Gillig BRT either way. They're almost everywhere.

From what I read in other posts is that Gillig doesn't want to bid on huge orders. I'm kinda glad they didn't choose Gillig BRT either way. They're almost everywhere.

I wonder if Los Angeles MTA would of been the exception, given the fact Gillig is in CA? Speaking of that, how did the Phantoms that MTA bought used perform?

I wonder if Los Angeles MTA would of been the exception, given the fact Gillig is in CA? Speaking of that, how did the Phantoms that MTA bought used perform?

At the time they were perhaps the best buses the contractors had, next to the old Grummans and Flxibles.

Hater!

Anyway, seems like Gillig doesn't want to play in bid games or don't have time to waste on. Who said anything about multiple Gillig buses already dominating in SoCal? Yeah, the-then SCRTD and Metro used to operate some Gillig Phantoms on contractor lines that were operated by contractors. Those buses were leased from other transit agencies after they retired them.

I've seen some pics of 1983 Phantoms that were contracted out to the MTA along with some MC-9s.

Too bad none of those Gillig Phantoms got a chance to be painted in the-then scrtd tri-stripe colors, but they did were painted in the pre 2K03-Metro Bus orange/yellow stripe colors.

Imagine seeing a Gillig Brt cng bus was made as a prototype for Metro, being branded in the Metro Local orange/poppy colors.

• 2 weeks later...

I see its you that is on my Facebook page and sent me the link to like on moving the Ram's to LA

I'm not sure if we are friends on fb as we didn't ask for each other's link, but nonetheless, this story of a Stank Louis Rams owner recently purchased a 60 acre land north of the now defunct Hollywood Park a few weeks ago for approximately $90 million to build an NFL stadium or build something else. There's been debate on the surroundings of the area, due to the fact that flight path go directly into that area to reach LAX and because the post-9/11 regulations, the FAA think it would too risky for a football stadium to be built as it will interfere with activities that may plague the home games on select Sundays, not to mention the soon-to-be under-construction Crenshaw/LAX light rail line will be 1.2 miles away from the location. Traffic would be a hassle as well as people will try to fight over a parking spot.

Metro is proposing major changes to the SFV Rapid service. Basically, 761 will no longer go down Sepulveda Pass to Westwood; and instead will continue on Ventura Blvd to Reseda Blvd where it will continue on the current 741 route - the combined new Rapid (probably called 741) will have an "U" shape route. The idea is to add service on the busiest part of Ventura Blvd (between Van Nuys and Reseda) and improve both Van Nuys and Reseda rapid service so that people from north SFV going to places on Ventura Blvd and vice versa can ride just 1 Rapid bus and eliminate a transfer to/from 750 at either Van Nuys or Reseda Blvd. And Ventura Blvd between Van Nuys and Reseda (the busiest part) will have 2 Rapids instead of just 750.

The part of 761 going south to Westwood via Sepulveda will be reassigned to 734, thus creating a true "Sepulveda" Rapid.

There is also a separate proposal to create a 588 Express between Nordhoff and Westwood with limited stops between Nordhoff and Orange Line, and then express runs to UCLA - which is basically the combined route of proposed Van Nuys/Sepulveda BRT or Light Rail project.

http://thesource.metro.net/2014/02/10/a-look-at-proposed-bus-service-changes-that-would-better-connect-the-san-fernando-valley-and-the-westside/

Metro is proposing major changes to the SFV Rapid service. Basically, 761 will no longer go down Sepulveda Pass to Westwood; and instead will continue on Ventura Blvd to Reseda Blvd where it will continue on the current 741 route - the combined new Rapid (probably called 741) will have an "U" shape route. The idea is to add service on the busiest part of Ventura Blvd (between Van Nuys and Reseda) and improve both Van Nuys and Reseda rapid service so that people from north SFV going to places on Ventura Blvd and vice versa can ride just 1 Rapid bus and eliminate a transfer to/from 750 at either Van Nuys or Reseda Blvd. And Ventura Blvd between Van Nuys and Reseda (the busiest part) will have 2 Rapids instead of just 750.

The part of 761 going south to Westwood via Sepulveda will be reassigned to 734, thus creating a true "Sepulveda" Rapid.

There is also a separate proposal to create a 588 Express between Nordhoff and Westwood with limited stops between Nordhoff and Orange Line, and then express runs to UCLA - which is basically the combined route of proposed Van Nuys/Sepulveda BRT or Light Rail project.

http://thesource.metro.net/2014/02/10/a-look-at-proposed-bus-service-changes-that-would-better-connect-the-san-fernando-valley-and-the-westside/

With that proposed line changes in the SFV, divisions 8 and 15 will most likely operate the combined rapid lines 741 and 761, when it becomes a 'Valley U' shape line on two busy routes. While the new express line 588X with be operated by division 15. This line will be similar to the express lines 450 and 577X that make minimal stops along their respecrive routes. Don't forget that the proposed express line 588X will be a lot different than the original line of 561.

Today the first Xcelsior went into service today after a nice press release at Patsaurous Plaza.It worked one trip on the 33, I was lucky enough to be one of the first passengers.Here are some photos.Higher quality pictures will be available on my Flickr

1780655_10202534868445702_859703193_n.jpg

1623622_10202534854765360_1666816551_n.jpg

1921871_10202534893486328_1949158198_n.jpg

1898026_10202534885926139_1179424205_n.jpg

GrosS

[image Removed]

thesource.com

Gotta agree a bit ... I was expecting a new, modern, vibrant, stylish seat inserts and these just don't fit with the bus.. The pattern ain't that bad but it's just not for this "new" bus...

In other news, Division 5 sent today 2 of it's new XN40's to service today... 5603 operated on the 312 and 5604 is currently operating on 110...