TwinVision Silver Smart Series

ABQ RIDE

I was wondering, does anyone have any pictures of TwinVision's new Silver Smart Series white LED destination signs? I know that KCM in Seattle is the launch customer. It would be quite interesting to see.

BTW, I have suggested white LED destination signs on these forums in the past, and it looks like they are becoming a reality. While some TAs are going with color destination signs, other areas don't allow them due to certain colors only being usable by emergency vehicles from the front. This could perhaps be a modern alternative to color destination signs in areas where color signs are not allowed.

Photo by Eribisu posted at http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?s=&showt...st&p=409714

Some photos by punkrawker4783 posted at http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?s=&showt...st&p=405475

(I swear this is a Luminator sign though...)

If we're lucky maybe someone can get a photo of the destination sign control panel!

I was going to say, it's more like a Luminator. But we will wait for someone get the ODK to determine it.

Ok to confirm this.We all know usally on how to discribe parts used on the buses.Well I went to this guys website he has of 6854 and I could tell you just by looking at the rear sign it is indeed a Twinvision sign.How could i tell the difference?The window for the sign is like dead center were as on a Luminator it kinda sits higher with more black casing on the botton.

What would be the advantage for a Silver sign over Amber?

We got our first amber TwinVision signs at Torrance Transit with our GE40LFR's and I really like them. They're very easy to read and deal with. It's not to say that I wouldn't want color signs the next time around <_<

What would be the advantage for a Silver sign over Amber?

We got our first amber TwinVision signs at Torrance Transit with our GE40LFR's and I really like them. They're very easy to read and deal with. It's not to say that I wouldn't want color signs the next time around :P

I'd take flip anytime over LED signs.I like the sound they make when the dots flip,of couse not saying I don't like rollsigns <_<

I'd take flip anytime over LED signs.I like the sound they make when the dots flip,of couse not saying I don't like rollsigns <_<

I really don't like flip-dot signs. They're basically un-readable after a little bit of time because they fade in the sun. Then they become very difficult to see at night... Not to mention they can be slow to scroll. Yeah, they do make a neat sound but from a customer point of view I think the LED signs provide a much better experience.

Oh well this was the one i used to see that 6854 had Twinvision sign http://www.flickr.com/photos/47139810@N08/4648511025/

Well, I was right first place, should have checked the rear.

This Silver LED signs will be as plan replacing the orange sign for better visibility.

This Silver LED signs will be as plan replacing the orange sign for better visibility.

Are we sure about that?

While part of the reason why white LED signs have taken so long likely has to do with cost, a lot of it is also that red (and by extension orange) are a lot easier on the eyes at night than white.

Dan

Used to be. They are still a bit more expensive, but nearly not as much as they were even 2 years ago.

Dan

Generally, the traditional colors (red, orange, yellow, and green) are cheaper than the newer colors (blue, blue-green, cool white, and incandescent white). However, the difference in price isn't as great as they used to be. There are also now even pink and purple LEDs, however, there have been known problems with them fading either to blue or to white, so the technology hasn't been perfected yet for those colors.

Generally, the traditional colors (red, orange, yellow, and green) are cheaper than the newer colors (blue, blue-green, cool white, and incandescent white). However, the difference in price isn't as great as they used to be.

Keep in mind too that the retail pricing for LEDs is quite a bit different than those given to manufacturers.

Most LEDs that are coloured in the primary and secondary parts of the spectrum - red, green, blue, yellow, etc. - are about the same price. Blue-white is a tad more, and yellow-white slightly more still.

Dan

• Board Admin

I don't know what the exact reason for the introduction of the white signs is, but one can argue that white and black are the most contrasting "colors" and thus is more visible than other color signs.

I was talking to one of our local reps and he said that basically it has to do with laws about colors and also with brightness. It's apparently extremely bright, I'm curious enough to try and get a demo unit :blink:

I don't know what the exact reason for the introduction of the white signs is, but one can argue that white and black are the most contrasting "colors" and thus is more visible than other color signs.

Oh, I'm sure that the contrast is great.

The problem is that it is so great, and the white LEDs so bright that it will temporarily burn an image into your retina and ruin your night vision when it is dark out. Go outside in the dark for a bit, turn the lights on for a second or two, turn them off again and check out what you can see. The wavelength of red light is longer (and less powerful) and so it doesn't cause that.

Why do you think that they recommend photographic darkrooms be bathed in red light?

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...