North County Transit District (NCTD)

Nabinut

Ahh, some hillclimbers then. Sounds like they're trying to get better low-end acceleration out of them.

I stand corrected. 2620 as far as I know has 4.69 with a Allison B400R6. The Shift points are significantly lower (Fuel Economy) than the earlier builds. Much lower than my liking. They seem to upshift around 1300-1500 rpm WOT, vs the earlier ones 1800-2100 rpm WOT. They seem to lug really bad.

Spotted 1115 with new amber signs today. Surprising since the 1100s are going to be retired very soon! What kind of sign is this?

Hanover Displays. 1115 is the only unit that has it. More to come. 1115, 1117, 1118, 1123, 1136, 1137, 1138, 1139, 1141, 1145, 1147, 1150, 1152, 1153 are going to hang around for a few months...

I stand corrected. 2620 as far as I know has 4.69 with a Allison B400R6. The Shift points are significantly lower (Fuel Economy) than the earlier builds. Much lower than my liking. They seem to upshift around 1300-1500 rpm WOT, vs the earlier ones 1800-2100 rpm WOT. They seem to lug really bad.

Probably going for maximum fuel economy. Can the driver still hold gears with the keypad?

Probably going for maximum fuel economy. Can the driver still hold gears with the keypad?

Yes, you're still able to Manually Upshift and Downshift. They'll accelerate about the same as the earlier Build when upshifting around 1900 rpm. Around town it isn't too bad though. They're still more responsive than our C40LFs, but not in the same league as the D40LFs.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Spotted 1115 with new amber signs today. Surprising since the 1100s are going to be retired very soon! What kind of sign is this?

8372381952_dac80b85c2_z_d.jpg

1115 also has automated stop announcements and LED monitors. The LED monitors are being tested on 1115 and if testing goes well, NCTD will install them on the Breeze buses.

• 1 month later...

how does one make a D40LF a double decker?

does the Series 50 4 banger even have enough power

Not exactly sure all that they do to convert these but basically they add the upper deck as an open top, add a set of stairs and away they go. They have several of these running around LA. Both of Scott's (Regional Transit Services's) D40lf's were sold to them and converted. Starline also has several ex OCTA and LBT D40ls's as well. Starline is operated by Tour Coach. Here are a couple pictures of an LBT D40lf converted before being re-painted.

9713-1.jpg

9713-2.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still occasionally see NCTD D40LF's, but for how long? I wonder if they will replace them with more Xcelsior's to replace them as well as the early CNG's. It could be interesting if they order more buses, as they got their XN40 buses from the MTS C40LFR order from 2012. Either, they piggyback for Gillig's or order XN40's under their XN60 options or use another XN40 transit agency such as Omnitrans or LA Metro.

NCTD will soon solicit bids for 78 new buses, most likely CNG with the first 26 buses to be delivered in September. This could be an interesting contract as this will likely include the SLF232G as well as the C35LF order. This should also replace the 40' CNG New Flyers except the XN40's which were purchased to replace the D40LF buses. I am thinking the first buses to be replaced are likely the SLF and C35LF buses as those are the oldest CNG's in the fleet. I could see either or both being replaced by the El Dorado Ez-Rider II, though the XN35 will have a chance as well. Gillig is probably going to be interested in this order as they have buses in all 3 lengths and CNG that NCTD desires. I don't think the Midi will be a part of this bid as NCTD demands CNG, and the CNG midi is not yet available due to engineering and Cummins not offering a suitable CNG motor unless New Flyer installs the ISL G, though Cummins westport should have the ISB G coming later next year, but probably not going to ready in time. I think NCTD should order some XN35 and XN40 buses as they already have the XN40 and have the knowledge, since they already have about 30 of them.

NCTD will soon solicit bids for 78 new buses, most likely CNG with the first 26 buses to be delivered in September. This could be an interesting contract as this will likely include the SLF232G as well as the C35LF order. This should also replace the 40' CNG New Flyers except the XN40's which were purchased to replace the D40LF buses. I am thinking the first buses to be replaced are likely the SLF and C35LF buses as those are the oldest CNG's in the fleet. I could see either or both being replaced by the El Dorado Ez-Rider II, though the XN35 will have a chance as well. Gillig is probably going to be interested in this order as they have buses in all 3 lengths and CNG that NCTD desires. I don't think the Midi will be a part of this bid as NCTD demands CNG, and the CNG midi is not yet available due to engineering and Cummins not offering a suitable CNG motor unless New Flyer installs the ISL G, though Cummins westport should have the ISB G coming later next year, but probably not going to ready in time. I think NCTD should order some XN35 and XN40 buses as they already have the XN40 and have the knowledge, since they already have about 30 of them.

Good info! I hadn't realized before that the ISB is not available yet for natural gas but of course you are right.

http://cumminsengines.com/showcase.aspx?Filters=0&Categories=192

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/dec/18/nctd-alcohol-train-coaster-drinking-ban/

Looks like Alcohol will be banned on the Coaster rail train from Oceanside to Downtown San Diego effective February 1, 2015. This ban is mainly in response to complaints received by NCTD by people during Padre game days, where people would get drunk and cause problems. I do not drink by choice, but some people do like a beer or wine on their commute home. This could affect some companies who offer urban brewery and winery tours that utilize the Coaster to such venues that are nearby the stations. Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner which utilizes the same Corridor will continue to allow people to drink Alcohol as well as serving it, and is the only form of public transportation to do so.

Fact sheet said 65 new buses but I wonder if they needed 23 more buses. 25 to 26 will come in September and this contract could last until fiscal year 19 which would replace the 2500 cng buses. It also sounds like that they might not be piggybacking off another transit authorities contract and could be it's own contract unlike the xn40 contract which was a piggyback off the 2012 MTS C40lfr contract.

Any info on this new rfp.

Fact sheet said 65 new buses but I wonder if they needed 23 more buses. 25 to 26 will come in September and this contract could last until fiscal year 19 which would replace the 2500 cng buses. It also sounds like that they might not be piggybacking off another transit authorities contract and could be it's own contract unlike the xn40 contract which was a piggyback off the 2012 MTS C40lfr contract.

Any info on this new rfp.

Do you have any links to these materials?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=5WaiVLbQAtHboASb_4HoBw&url=http://www.gonctd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/NCTD-Fact-Sheets-Feb-2014.pdf&ved=0CBwQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGKPP0NkC1K2grvKkRyZSXXAy8NFA&sig2=fvbwWzbeZ98r7EHk4BVxRA

Link for fact sheet but the 78 number is a tweet that I posted earlier and it might have been deleted as I cannot find it. Some of the new nctd buses will be delivered soon and maybe they will announce the winners in a future board meeting. Up to 26 buses will be ordered next year. No idea if it is their own rfp or is a piggyback or both.