San Diego MTS

Nabinut

Takeoff of C40LF #311 out of Imperial Ave Division on Route 20. This was a late night run, and I was able to get a nice takeoff, which is not always easy.

NABI 60 BRT #1016 on again Route 20, but not as epic Meritor Axle noise as 1012, which has the most pronounced axles.

NABI 60 BRT #1019 takeoff on Route 20, as this was a later run during that same day as I rode 1016. This is indeed my home route, which is why I film a lot of Route 20 videos.

El Dorado Aero Elite #3453 which is what I call the Ugly Duckling as it has that ugly black detailing around the windows and rear lift door. This is on Route 945 which is a route that goes from Rancho Bernardo Transit Station to Old Poway park. Normally, this route like all other minibus routes, use a smaller C5500 minibus with different destination sign and no black tape decal on the windows. These buses I think are used for coaster connection, but are likely in reserve fleet, or are in revenue service. 3501 and 3502 from East County were transferred over to Copley Park which operates these as well as the 3400 mini buses. Also, there is 3451 which is a Goshen Minibus, not an El Dorado National I believe these are being replaced by Ford F-550 superduty Aero Elite buses (which I have rode on), but I don't have video of them, only photos, which I have not uploaded yet.

Hope you guys enjoy these videos.

South Bay is getting some XN60 buses in April, and I believe those are to be used for the South Bay Rapid, but will likely be delegated to non rapid services for now. I believe they might use them on routes 905 and 950 as well as the 929, which are popular routes operated by South Bay Division. This was a part of the XN60 contract that would delegate buses for this fiscal year to South Bay for Rapid, but it has been delayed until Fiscal year 2018, which could be summer of 2017, due to construction. South Bay Rapid will feature a dedicated guideway that would connect the Otay border to toll road CA-125, to then switch over to the 805, then connects to State Route 94 to Broadway, finally to Santa Fe Depot to connect to the other Rapids (215, and 235).

Playlist of 2008 C40LF #311 on Route 20. Next time, I will try to use the editor, so it can be one video.

Blue Line Trolley with S70 4010 and 4035 with SD100 #2047. I tried to get U2 cars, but I think I was too late, and gave up, so I went to a Coaster and road that for some awesome views of the ocean.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a good video from a fellow bus fan I know named Jake, and this one is on Route 120, and I believe he is on here; however, these buses have until June, so I thought you guys might want to see a video, and I hope to get some videos of these buses, once I get the time to do so, or not get lazy.

Chula Vista Transit was successfully migrated over to South Bay Division, however, only the 2008 (7201-7205), and 2009 C40LF (7301-7302) were transferred over to the new bus yard. The 2000 and 2001 C40LF have now officially been retired, and have been replaced with 38 Gillig CNG's (2401-2438) which cover CVT as well as South Bay 2001 C40LF (2601-2614). This has been confirmed by a Transit buddy as well as So Cal Metro on Flickr. So, it looks like this will be the final year of C Gas C40LF with Allison B400R. KMD 1801's are staying until June, but even then, it will be a sad day. Final remaining B400R buses after the KMD 18's being retired are the D40LF out of East County (El Cajon) Maintenance Garage or Division.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152584675427245.1073741845.88506987244&type=1

Other news, San Diego Vintage Trolley has successfully restored it's 2nd PCC street car for the vintage Silver Line Trolley, which is a loop of Downtown San Diego from 12th and Imperial and back with vintage PCC streetcars to recreate the old streetcar system. Now there are 2 PCC streetcars, and they are pretty nice, with nice seats and the back is great for couples. #530 is from 1946 was picked up in Pennsylvania and it took around a year to restore, and the vintage trolley guys do a great job in restoring this car to such a high standard. Hopefully, I can ride this car again, and enjoy the vintage trolley.

Coming soon, MTS TV and new bus shelters. The former will be a 6 month trial on 11 S70 trolley cars (3000 series) that is exclusive to the Green Line. No plans for other lines as this is a trial, but this will provide a cloud based VOD system, and you can access this on a phone or a tablet, and I believe a computer as well. This will use wifi and should offer movies, TV, cartoons, and Entertainment on your device. Should keep those on the Green line entertained, and stay tuned for more details.

New Shelters are coming, and they will have Solar panels and nice LED lighting solution.

http://sdmts.com/MTS/documents/2015-02-12.pdf

Page 212, for a picture of one.

• Board Admin
The 68-year old streetcar was acquired as part of a trade with United Transportation Corporation (UTC)/Rail Air Sources (RAS) in exchange for two Siemens U-2 light rail vehicles that were phased out of the MTS fleet. San Diego’s U-2s will be displayed at rail museums in Suisun City, California and Rockhill Furnace, Pennsylvania. The restoration costs were underwritten, in part, by a SDG&E grant.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/rail/news/293618/san-diego-debuts-restored-trolley-silver-line

D60LF #1905 on a Northbound 20 run, and this thing was a delight to see and film. This video has some nice Deceleration's at the end of a not so steep hill, but it is steeper going down hill, and cutaway bus #3400 as well as XN60 Rapid #1105. This video sounds best with a decent pair of headphones, but I did the best I could capturing this with my phone.

Another 20 run, but northbound to a stop, that I frequent a lot, and it is #306, which is pretty nice, but does not whistle as hard as the other 300's I have filmed (305 and 311). Driver went a little fast at the end and the background noise was not me.

• 1 month later...

http://www.sdmts.com/MTS/documents/2015-03-12.pdf (Pages 6-21)

March Board meeting with the Capital Improvement program being laid out for the next 4 to 5 fiscal years. This upcoming fiscal year expect to see a large bus procurement to replace 13 D60LF out of Kearny Mesa Division with 13 XN60 buses in regular MTS livery, 51 out of 54 D40LF in East County (El Cajon Division), 37 Gillig CNG's to an unknown bus yard (Could be KMD or a split between IAD and KMD). 88 40' CNG buses total are being delivered for this upcoming fiscal year and the 51 East County buses are being timed for when the new bus yard is completed, which should be sometime next year. East County has a working CNG system, but no Garage capable of servicing CNG buses, plus this new CNG capable yard can also accommodate artic's, more buses, and is LEED Silver certified. By the end of Fiscal Year 2016, all 40 and 60' buses will run on CNG, and the only Diesels left in the fleet will be a fleet of 26 45' Blue Bird Express Motorcoaches for Rapid Express routes 280 and 290 for a more high end commute (rebranded premium Express). Also, 31 Aero Elite buses on Ford F-550 chassis will be replacing 26 Aero Elite buses on Chevrolet C5500 chassis.

Automated stop announcements are coming in the next several months, and hopefully sometime by early next year, and this should be all buses except those built before 2005. Not sure if the Blue Bird Commuter coaches will have them as well, but for sure the Gillig and New Flyer buses (XN60 Rapid buses already have such system installed).

New Next gen fare system is also in the works with new DCU (Driver Control units/Farebox controllers), new Fareboxes (Upgraded Odyssey or the new Odyssey plus, though they could use fast fare). Also, Ticket Vending Machines are getting upgraded with better hardware, most likely EMV or Chip card support (America is so behind in their transition IMO).

Biggest news so far is the new bus yard as the main yards for Rapid (KMD and IAD) are at near capacity, and will need a bigger yard. Not sure if this applies to South Bay, but a new yard will be hard to find and will be an ongoing project. Cap and Trade will also fund improved bus stops, possibly add more trolley stops and improve old town station.

Just some highlights from the new capital improvement program.

Imperial Avenue Division and Kearny Mesa Division will be switching to Michelin tires, as they beat out Goodyear in a competitive bid for a tire leasing contract.

• 3 weeks later...

Kearny Mesa Division has 23 remaining 2001 C40LF with Allison B400R and South Bay still has 14, but South Bays remaining C40LF (2601-2614) are actually 2002 models. 23 new Gillig CNG's are coming to Kearny Mesa Division and another 51 for East County to replace all D40LF. By next July, all 2001-2002 model buses should be gone and replaced with Gillig CNG buses and XN60 artics. However, there might not be a big procurement for FY2017, as MTS will have pretty much replaced their entire fleet.

Is there any particular reason why MTS went with Gillig CNG's over XN40's ? I'm just wondering since they've been ordering XN60's, so why not just continue ordering NFI's instead of going with Gillig.

I'm not sure on the specifics at MTS, but I can speak in generalities...

Agencies really don't place orders from buses from particular manufacturers. They ask for companies to bid on a contract for a bus type (40 foot natural gas bus) and whoever is the lowest responsible bidder gets the work.

Gillig is either bidding lower than New Flyer on the 40 foot contracts or there is something in the contract that New Flyer is unable or unwilling to provide. Gillig doesn't produce a 60 foot coach, so it would be impossible for them to bid on that contract.

I'm not sure on the specifics at MTS, but I can speak in generalities...

Agencies really don't place orders from buses from particular manufacturers. They ask for companies to bid on a contract for a bus type (40 foot natural gas bus) and whoever is the lowest responsible bidder gets the work.

Gillig is either bidding lower than New Flyer on the 40 foot contracts or there is something in the contract that New Flyer is unable or unwilling to provide. Gillig doesn't produce a 60 foot coach, so it would be impossible for them to bid on that contract.

Not to mention also since Gillig who nows not only offer CNG, but its facility in California would provide quicker and lower cost acquisition in some advantage in competitive bid aside from technical specificatin required by MTS.

By the way also from New Flyer's website, San Diego MTS also awarded New Flyer for 13 Xcelsior XN60

http://www.newflyer.com/index/mts-awards-new-flyer

Not to mention also since Gillig who nows not only offer CNG, but its facility in California would provide quicker and lower cost acquisition in some advantage in competitive bid aside from technical specificatin required by MTS.

By the way also from New Flyer's website, San Diego MTS also awarded New Flyer for 13 Xcelsior XN60

http://www.newflyer.com/index/mts-awards-new-flyer

But isn't there some sort of NFI plant in Ontario, CA ?

And I believe it is also used to prep buses as well.

That's correct. The facility does maintenance and final assembly. Buses arrive 80 to 90 percent complete and the workers in Ontario install things like seats, support rails and decals.

Here's an article on the facility from LA Metro's The Source: http://thesource.metro.net/2014/04/02/new-flyer-holds-open-house-for-new-bus-facility-in-ontario/

• 3 weeks later...

This summer meaning sometime in July-August time frame. D60LF's will be gone by September, in time for the new service changes coming in Late August-Early September (Most likely August 30). Rumor has it that 1014, is at KMD as an additional artic for Route 7, 20, 50, and 150, but mainly for Route 20. July is when the next fiscal year starts, so this fits in with the MTS timeline.

New Ford F-550 cutaways are getting an additional 20 gallon tank, as the stock 40 gallon gas tank does not provide enough gasoline for an entire days worth of service. Only 6 F-550 buses have been delivered (3001-3006) for Route 270 and Coaster Connection, and these buses have a liquid rear suspension, but the upcoming 31 bus order will likely not have the liquid rear suspension, so expect horrible ride.

http://www.sdmts.com/planning/ServiceChangesJune2015.asp

New service changes and Westfield University Towne Centre mall is going to tear out the old transit center and parking lot in favor of some more stores. However, a new Transit Center is being built that will have it's own entrance and exit and will be better equipped for the Blue Line Trolley extension, which is coming in a few years from now. Though there is a temporary transit center that is being built which will be used, once construction is done, which is 13 months from now. This new extension called the Mid Coast Trolley will bring the Blue Line to UTC and UCSD students to downtown in a much more reliable way than the current buses that go there such as routes 30, 50, and 150. This even allows a one seat ride from UTC down to San Ysidro to connect to Tijuana, Mexico. Though those buses may or may not be reconfigured, it is a much needed project that should have been built years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

http://sdmts.com/mts/documents/2015-06-18BOARDFULL.pdf (73-86)

MTS is going to sign a contract with Xerox to add Automated Stop announcements on all Imperial Avenue and Kearny Mesa Divisions. 12 35' buses, 201 40' buses (does not seem to mention the 1800's as those do not have SpeakEasy). Also, the 13 60' buses are the new XN60's coming later this summer and not the D60LF buses. East county and South Bay division are slowly getting the automated system, and MTS has the option to replace the Clever Devices AVA to the new Xerox system, for better fleet commonality, though the 1300's will get them (rumored numbering for the KMD XN60 for 7, 20, 50, and 150). Should take about 5 to 6 months to add this system in, and my friend says that El Dorado Ez Rider buses for route 992 (2771-2775) have this system, and I know some South Bay Gillig's have them, and some even say the 901-912 Gillig's out of KMD have them, but that is just heresay from drivers, as the ones I have ridden do not have them.

This has been in the works for a couple of years, and major changes have been made to the Xerox RTMS to support South Bay and East County Divisions operated by Transdev, to accommodate this. Now all MTS buses should have a consistent product and all buses, no matter who operate them, get real time stop information via text or that ancient MTS go app.

U2 cars are being discontinued on January 26, and this marks an end of an era. I have not ridden them in a while, but get your rides in, as that date is when the S70 cars will be used on the Blue Line with a SD100 car in the middle of the 3 car trainset.

Edit: U2's are being reduced in service on Wednesday, January 21, per MTS facebook page.

So what are they doing with all the U2s? I know some got sold of to Argentina and some got sent off to some museums...but what about all that surplus??

They sure look like to be in better shape than our U2s in Calgary. Our U2s will be around for at least 5 more years....they are in rough shape....rusting away