San Diego MTS

Nabinut

Nova and New Flyer are competing for the new 60' contract and the 40' contract is closed, so expect a winner to be announced eventually. Last artic contract was sole source but perhaps Nova could use this contract to allow MTS to be a launch customer. Some say that Gillig's QC has gone down as the 200's do not have the same quality as the 800 and 900 buses (same for their contracted equivalents). 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Plenty of U2's are still at the LRV facility and by the blue line tracks, but those are going soon. Not sure if Karl Strauss is getting it as they seem to have not building their new facility in Santee where they were going to use one as a centerpiece. I guess they wanted a U2 for their Red Trolley Ale. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, LRT said:

Hello all I'm in town this week where's the best place to view the stock piled U2s? Are they still around or have they been disposed of? Thanks everybody!

12th and Imperial yard has them and you can see them on the Blue Line, and yes they are still here. Also there is an area on the Green Line by Middletown. If you go on the bridge from Petco park to the Hilton Bayside Hotel, you can get a nice view of the place. I wish I could you in touch with Andy Goddard if this was a bit in advance, as I am sure he could give you a tour and you would get to see them up close and in person. No, MTS has not disposed of them yet. Still quite a few of them at the yard and at a place somewhere around Middletwon and Little Italy, though could be before Washington st (forgot location).

Try walking around 12th and Imperial and you can see them on the Silver Line that goes into the 12th and Imperial yard. Maybe walk over to the 12th and Imperial Green Line station.

45 minutes ago, XN40 said:

12th and Imperial yard has them and you can see them on the Blue Line, and yes they are still here. Also there is an area on the Green Line by Middletown. If you go on the bridge from Petco park to the Hilton Bayside Hotel, you can get a nice view of the place. I wish I could you in touch with Andy Goddard if this was a bit in advance, as I am sure he could give you a tour and you would get to see them up close and in person. No, MTS has not disposed of them yet. Still quite a few of them at the yard and at a place somewhere around Middletwon and Little Italy, though could be before Washington st (forgot location).

Try walking around 12th and Imperial and you can see them on the Silver Line that goes into the 12th and Imperial yard. Maybe walk over to the 12th and Imperial Green Line station.

Thanks for the tips! I really apprecite it! I'm going to checkout the system hopefully tomorrow. Unfortunately I only had about 24 hours notice before I found out about this trip (wife works with the airlines) I've actually been in contact with Andy and spoke to him briefly by email about a year ago. I also sent him an email on Monday.

Anyway coincidentally enough I'm enjoying a bottle of Red Trolley Ale! 

Cheers

2 hours ago, LRT said:

Thanks for the tips! I really apprecite it! I'm going to checkout the system hopefully tomorrow. Unfortunately I only had about 24 hours notice before I found out about this trip (wife works with the airlines) I've actually been in contact with Andy and spoke to him briefly by email about a year ago. I also sent him an email on Monday.

Anyway coincidentally enough I'm enjoying a bottle of Red Trolley Ale! 

Cheers

Also the walkway from 12th and Imperial to Petco is good! Andy is an awesome guy! If you can get a tour, then it would be great! When I was there, they were painting S70 seats and I got to enter in 1001. 1001 is going to stay at the maintenance facility for quite some time. :) Anywhere around 12th and Imperial you can see the U2. Still plenty of U2's there, despite 35 going to Argentina. Plus, MTS has not awarded the contract to have them disposed of. 

I have a group photo of 1001! 

2 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

i. Hate. You.

Think you could get your hands on a motor driven cam controller to bring home for me to add my collection? Or at least a drive handle?

I live in San Diego! I do not think MTS allows those to take parts from them. Canada did not take any of the parts that MTS has in their collection as they might be going to Argentina. 

9 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

i. Hate. You.

Think you could get your hands on a motor driven cam controller to bring home for me to add my collection? Or at least a drive handle?

?

Lots of parts to be had in Calgary...don't worry I've made a list!

Well I went for a right on the system today, I was on the green line and the blue line and I got to see a fair amount of U2s. I was pretty impressed how well the S70s ran with the SD100s.

I noticed on our way back to our hotel on the blue line, the S70 lead car towards Old Town had issues with the disc brakes not releasing at a few station stops. The operator attemped to proceed but the train would hold back a bit. He stoped the train and tried again and a way we went. My guess was the lead car was having issues with the C truck's disc brakes not releasing as it had a decent flat wheel.....

I had a blast!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 10:29 PM, LRT said:

Well I went for a right on the system today, I was on the green line and the blue line and I got to see a fair amount of U2s. I was pretty impressed how well the S70s ran with the SD100s.

I noticed on our way back to our hotel on the blue line, the S70 lead car towards Old Town had issues with the disc brakes not releasing at a few station stops. The operator attemped to proceed but the train would hold back a bit. He stoped the train and tried again and a way we went. My guess was the lead car was having issues with the C truck's disc brakes not releasing as it had a decent flat wheel.....

I had a blast!

Glad you saw the U2's when you did as MTS will be awarding a contract to EKCO metals to remove the U2's off their properties as a consent item in this months board meeting on Thursday. 

That sucks.... too bad there like in mint condition..... I would love to get some parts off some of those things for a keepsake.

They look like they're in very good condition but I'm sure one of the stipulations to get funding for the new S70 cars was to put the U2's out of service.... 

Has anyone ever seen a U2 run with an SD 100 up there in the past?

Anyway...Here's some of my crappy pics I took of them last week.

@XN40 Thanks again for letting me know some of the spots I could take pictures of them... unfortunately I was with my family and they made things a little difficult logistically...

Enjoy 

Screenshot_20171009-135140.png

Screenshot_20171009-135057.png

Screenshot_20171009-135021.png

Screenshot_20171009-135000.png

1507579357732921503221.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

23 XN60 Rapid buses are a possibility for new routes that connect to the Otay border. Routes 725 and 925, but it all depends if the gas tax does not get repealed. Sadly, big oil interests are trying to kill it by disguising themselves as "tax payer advocates." 

MTS is also chasing grant money to buy electric buses and up to 30 electric buses can be purchased with a grant. This means that MTS wants electric buses in all their divisions (except Copley) to see how it performs there. Then again, Electric buses could work well with the hilly terrain, but the technology might not give them the range they need (350 miles minimum). 

Also, overhead charging is seen by them as a temporary technology until batteries give them the range they need. It might be hard as their yards are not big enough for their entire fleet to be electric. 

• 3 weeks later...

A few South Bay C40LF's have been reunited at KMD due to a bus shortage. This is for new service changes and what not. These were formerly 2700's that are mostly going to be replaced with 2100's and the 7400's. I still need to get the Wiki fixed for the new buses. Also, the GE35LFR's are now at KMD in the retired pile, due to them being a POS. This is all temporary but it is good if you like C gas CNG buses for in house. 400's will stay until the new Gillig and Electric bus orders get fulfilled.

• 3 months later...

11 TBA artics for Route 925 which will be Zero Emission and 6 40' Xcelsior charge with 480kwh battery with 225 miles of range, though they could get one with even more range if they liked them enough. Xcelsior order is still ongoing.

On 5/4/2018 at 12:09 AM, DD453T said:

Possibly the end of diesel in MTS's conventional fleet.

Saw a brand new Gillig running route 894. Meaning that the last D40LFs dedicated to 894 are possibly retired.

Correct, all D40LF are gone and the only diesel buses in the fleet are the Blue Bird OTR commuter coaches which are fueled by a tanker truck as East County can no longer natively fuel diesel buses. Also some 2300's are at ECBMF as route 27, 921 and 928 are now being operated by that division instead of South Bay.

Edit:  However, South Bay is still operating 928 on Sundays as East County division is closed on Sunday.

• 4 weeks later...

408 = 2706, 409 = 2710, 410 = 2713, 411 = 2714, 412 = 2721.

This is from my own investigating on the 400's that have been reallocated from South Bay to KMD. Note that 408 was never originally assigned to in house as it was a contract operated bus from the get go.

• 6 months later...

A lot has changed, but MTS did award a contract to INIT for a new account based fare system to replace the compass card. NCTD will also buy into this system so they will use the same system once it is launched. Most compass cards expire in 2021 so they will get the message quick. This new system is capable of offering fare capping (will require a fare study), integrated mobile apps, multiple users on one account, PCI compliance, contactless credit/debit support and much more. MTS did get to try out the TriMet fare system as it will be similar to the proposed offering and it works well. MTS is even going to host this in the cloud. Stay tuned for more information. 

The re allocated 400's are now 2700's at East County division now. There are some new buses for FY2019 but not many are really needed as MTS does not have many to replace unless East County needs new buses to replace the existing 2700's there or South bay to replace 30' el dorado buses (those are still in good shape). 

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:05 AM, XN40 said:

A lot has changed, but MTS did award a contract to INIT for a new account based fare system to replace the compass card. NCTD will also buy into this system so they will use the same system once it is launched. Most compass cards expire in 2021 so they will get the message quick. This new system is capable of offering fare capping (will require a fare study), integrated mobile apps, multiple users on one account, PCI compliance, contactless credit/debit support and much more. MTS did get to try out the TriMet fare system as it will be similar to the proposed offering and it works well. MTS is even going to host this in the cloud. Stay tuned for more information. 

The re allocated 400's are now 2700's at East County division now. There are some new buses for FY2019 but not many are really needed as MTS does not have many to replace unless East County needs new buses to replace the existing 2700's there or South bay to replace 30' el dorado buses (those are still in good shape). 

These guys are CNG right?

On 12/23/2018 at 7:49 AM, Chris.A said:

These guys are CNG right?

Correct for the most part. Only 24 Diesel Commuter buses remain, but there are 31 LPG mini buses and 9 cutaways that are gasoline (6 Copley Park and 3 Rural East County buses). Along with a bunch of Paratransit cutaways operated out of Copley Park (don't know the exact number). 30' El Dorado are Ez Rider II. I ride East County a lot and its mostly Gillig but on a rare occasion I have spotted C40LF that were transferred over from South Bay division/Kearny Mesa Division. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...