San Diego MTS

Nabinut

• 2 weeks later...

All 1900s series D60LFs are all gone. Soon, the last Gillig Phantoms will be gone, which means no more Detroit Diesel Series 50 for MTS for now on.

It's true that 1901 and 1905 were retired a couple of weeks ago and are sitting along with 1903 awaiting transportation to Riverside to be auctioned. Phantoms have until sometime this Spring. Probably 2-3 more months, though the Gillig replacements are at South Bay Division being parked until the garage and temporary dispenser gets deployed at MTS-Transdev yard in El Cajon!

One unit, 1264, a 1991 Gillig Phantom had a Detroit Diesel Series 50 and the 1600s have Cummins Westport C Gas Plus. Also, MTS had Orion Is, Gillig Phantoms, C40LFs from Chula Vista Transit, and ElDorado National Transmark RE buses that need to be added to the wiki article.

Chula Vista C40LF are in the wiki as retired but those buses have since long been gone. I think some Transmark RE's still exist, but I think those have been retired and replaced with Gillig CNG buses. Chula Vista transit has been folded into South Bay Maintenance facility in Chula Vista, and the older buses could be added. I think the Phantoms are on their way out soon, but I think that was delayed due to the garage.

25 minutes of Series 50 EGR D60LF on Route 202! Pretty much the entire route with some commentary. HVAC was on, but it was really hot that day, and it did not make a difference, as it was really hot in the very back of the bus!

http://timesofsandiego.com/politics/2016/02/17/113m-south-bay-rapid-project-breaks-ground/

Construction broke ground on the South Bay Rapid! This service is from Otay POE to Downtown San Diego via the I-805 and State Route 125 Toll road. This new service is around 20-25 mintues, and will use Articulated buses similar to the current Rapid fleet. This is also the first time South Bay Maintenance Facility is getting Articulated buses since their new garage can accommodate them. Plan is to get them for Rapid, but they might come early and will be used on high ridership South bay routes and maybe then there might be a dedicated Local/Express South Bay Artic fleet similar to the current MTS 1301 class XN60.

Five units, 1502, 1516, 1527, 1813, and 6008 used the MTS paint scheme. MTS had 2005 El Dorado EZ Rider II CNGs from Chula Vista Transit, numbered in the 7100s. MTS also had RTS buses and Flxible Metro buses long ago. The only D60LFs left in southern California are the 7400s from the OCTA. They have the Cummins ISL as the original engine, unlike the 7200s and 7300s, and the Allison B500R6, but are you sure the D60LFs use Allison B400R6 transmissions? So far, the 7200s and 7300s had Detroit Diesel Series 50 on them, and they had to remove them between 2004-2006. MTS should've repowered the 1900s with the Cummins ISL, like the OCTA did on their D60LFs.

1813 is now in the retired pile and may very well be retired. Working on adding those, but those in the know say the former MTS D60LF had B500R6 transmissions. Yes the repaints did not really happen due to the economy and the lack of budget required for such a task. Plus, those buses were going to be retired eventually. MTS never really bothered to repower the D60LF probably due to budgetary issues. I guess they would rather focus on buying new buses. Though MTS is wrapping 2 ex South Bay buses to the current MTS livery for stand by purposes at KMD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/apr/09/MTS-payment-app/

Looks like something is being worked on for a new Mobile app and stored value is still on the backburner for the San Diego/NCTD compass card. The new mobile app will replace mTicket and should provide more functionality. Compass card is at the end of it's useful life, but hopefully a new system will be replaced as a next generation fare system is in the works to modernize it. I think there might be stored value on that system. The GlobeSherpa app should do stored value as a test to see if it will work and maybe then roll it out to the card. 

Board agenda now mentions that the app is for both NCTD (North County Transit District) as well as MTS as will replace both agencies mobile apps. Also, there is a plan to eventually enable stored value on the compass card which was a huge mistake on SANDAG's part, MTS did want to put stored value, but it was too expensive and outdated. Perhaps, an upgrade to the compass card is needed. Stored value on the card is going to be for those who still want to use a card and not their phone. 

Edit:  All MTS/NCTD passes will be available on this app, so you can either use it like a compass card or even use it as a stored value card (if functionality is enabled). 

Hello San Diego!

Does anybody have any update on the U2s? Are they still stockpiled or have they been scrapped? I know that some have been send to Mendoza Argentina and some have made it to some museums around the USA, but I'm wondering if any have been destroyed?? Much appreciated

Thanks for that! From what I understand they retired the original U2s in Germany and kept 3 for historical value so I'm just trying to keep updated with these vehicles.

Calgary Transit due to retire there cars soon. They kept car 2001 for historical purposes and a bunch of other cars sidelined for training but available for service if needed.

Car 2101 (one of 2 AC propulsion U2 cars) has been retired and has been heavily retrofited into a catenary / rail inspection vehicle. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Propane mini buses might not be coming right away, as there might be a test bus next month, as there might be safety issues at Copley park for some reason. Alternative is to use the Propane station in Kearny Mesa near the 163 freeway and Kearny Mesa transit center (Clairemont Mesa and Complex). Also, MTS is getting rid of the D40LF in East county as only 25 of those remain (not sure if it includes the 6000's and the 8100's or both). They don't trust the Gillig CNG on route 894, so that is staying with those old Diesels. Also, plans are to transfer the remaining 3500's to Copley Park for either extra mini bus service, or that East County is getting 3 more mini bus with one at Boulevard for route 888.