San Diego MTS

Nabinut

Apparently, rapid buses are the 1100's and 1200's. Both KMD and IAD will be operating the XN60's, but the focus is getting the rapid buses delivered and then MTS will order some XN60's to replace the 1901 class D60LF's.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that 1601 class buses are being transferred over to KMD to be sent to Murietta or some transit bus auction, but Murietta is where most old MTS buses go to when it is time to be retired.

Edit: South Bay Division now has Gillig buses, and those buses are the 2301 class.

Door announcement is up to the driver to enable and the new gilligs have ZF ecolife transmissions. That is why the sound is different and a bit quieter compared to the new flyers that have B400R and ecomat transmissions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus via Tapatalk 4

• 2 weeks later...

uploadfromtaptalk1390089193360.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390089224492.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390089247145.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390089260851.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390089274138.jpg

Here are some pics of the tires used on a mts gillig bus (bus 814). They are not low profile tires like those used on the new flyers. They are Goodyear intercity cruiser tires. Hope this clears up what tires these buses have.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus via Tapatalk 4

uploadfromtaptalk1390089241564.jpg

I remember when Gillig rolled out their low-floor lineup over a decade ago that they used the larger tires on their buses in order to make it easier for transit agencies to simplify their inventories by allowing them to use the same tires as their high-floor buses. Ironically, Gillig now seems to be the only heavy-duty bus manufacturer in the US to use these tires on their low-floor buses, complicating the inventories for all but the most loyal Gillig customers.

I remember when Gillig rolled out their low-floor lineup over a decade ago that they used the larger tires on their buses in order to make it easier for transit agencies to simplify their inventories by allowing them to use the same tires as their high-floor buses. Ironically, Gillig now seems to be the only heavy-duty bus manufacturer in the US to use these tires on their low-floor buses, complicating the inventories for all but the most loyal Gillig customers.

Good point! I also remember Gillig making the argument that another selling point of the larger tires is that they last longer.

Yes, good memory! Here is a source where that argument is cited by a TA (page 18)

http://www.riderta.c...loorCoaches.pdf

Looks like Gillig is making major in-roads in Ohio, especially with the CNG products. That's a pretty big order they got from Cleveland. I know Akron was one of the first Ohio TAs to buy Gillig CNG.

Though, I wasn't aware that Dallas was also a Gillig customer. Last time I checked, they went with NABI for their purchase (unless they meant DART in the state of Delaware, which has a lot of Gillig diesel and hybrids low floors of varying lengths).

MTS released a final package of the board meeting and it mentions the changes they are likely going to make. Changes are going to be voted on February 20 and this will include Title VI results. MTS also listed various feedback of the changes and Route 14 had the most feedback despite being the lowest performing route in the system. Service changes will be phased in once the construction for the Rapid buses concludes, but schedules should be announced several weeks before.

http://www.sdmts.com/MTS/documents/2014-1-16.pdf

Feedback on page 13-39, 109-113, and 130-145. If I have missed anything, let me know, and you can check it for yourself. Shows a couple of low res pics on the slides of the new Rapid XN60's, but there are better quality ones on Youtube and Flickr.

1601 class buses have been retired for while and it is only a matter of time that the 1801 class buses are going to be retired. Once the 1841-1873 are transferred to KMD then they will be retired.

1601 class buses have been retired for while and it is only a matter of time that the 1801 class buses are going to be retired. Once the 1841-1873 are transferred to KMD then they will be retired.

Do you know if KMD will get any Gilligs or hand-me-downs from IAD to replace 1801-1840?

I don't work for MTS but KMD is likely going to get Gilligs and they have some of the XN60's. Some 1100's and 1200's. MTS is going to get 50 buses a year so KMD is on their list of priorities but they also have to replace the South Bay C40LF's and the D40LF's out of El Cajon Division. I did hear a rumor that the D60LF is going to be transferred to ECD but I don't think it is a likely rumor unless MTS wants to outsource routes like the 7, 20, 50, and 150 to Veolia or they might use them on Route 950 which is going to be a permanent route. Then again, the D60LF's are here to stay until FY2016 which is sometime next year in which they will be replaced by XN60's that are not rapid.

MTS hinted that there are two types or Rapid buses for I-15 and Mid City BRT. Maybe 1100 is I-15 and 1200's are for Mid City. Though I am not sure if the Mid City buses will get the highback seats of the I-15 BRT.

MTS transfers IAD buses to KMD as they can easily be transported on the freeway to Murrietta which is their final resting place.

Looks like Gillig is making major in-roads in Ohio, especially with the CNG products. That's a pretty big order they got from Cleveland. I know Akron was one of the first Ohio TAs to buy Gillig CNG.

Though, I wasn't aware that Dallas was also a Gillig customer. Last time I checked, they went with NABI for their purchase (unless they meant DART in the state of Delaware, which has a lot of Gillig diesel and hybrids low floors of varying lengths).

They mean DART as in Delaware, they are mostly GIllig with some NABI and few MCI coaches.

Back to the tires on the Gilligs. I think it's more of the wheels than tires. On MTS Gilligs you can't use the same wheels as on other Gilligs because they are equipped with disc brakes. The tires may be the same size but the wheels are different. The wheels are the same as New Flyers and NOVA. Also the front axle is different than the other Gilligs

Apparently, MTS is retrofitting the older buses to the new Q-Pod wheelchair restraint system as found on the new Gillig buses. This system is not without it's flaws as one person finds the new system to be bad for her power chair. I guess the Q-Pod was not really made for Power chairs and mobility scooters, but other agencies seem to do ok with this system. However, I don't think the 2001 C40LF's and the D60LF's will get the Q-Pod as those will be retired by 2016. FY2016 starts next year and that is when MTS will retire the D60LF's for non Rapid XN60's.

XN60 Rapid buses have ZF transmissions. I believe they are ZF Ecolifes as I don't think New Flyer offers the Ecomat on the XN60 buses. I think San Diego ordered all their new buses with Ecolife gearboxes to get better CNG mileage out of their new buses, but the Ecomat buses will be here to stay. The new XN60's have high back seats and the new Q-Pod ADA seating system for wheelchairs, powered wheelchairs, and mobility scooters.

Random parts have the new Rapid bus and an interior shot as well. 1:57-2:02, 4:36-4:43, 5:13-5:26 are glimpses of the new Rapid bus. You could easily watch the first several minutes as it talks all about the Rapid buses but after the bus portion, they also talk about the Trolley, LOSSAN corridor, highways, bicycle riding; however, I am trying to post things that are relevant to this thread. The interior is quite nice and the seats look comfortable when compared to the current buses and better than the new Gilligs. Though these seats are vandal magnets.

Also, I find that Long Beach Gillig's sound a lot like the MTS ones, and those have ZF Ecolife transmissions, so I think the MTS Gillig's have an Ecolife transmission.

I believe the board might be voting on the proposed service changes this upcoming Thursday, though I believe that MTS might have made some changes since the last meeting. This could be changed, but the meeting package said that MTS is going to vote on this on the 20th.

Sabre Springs/Penasquitos Transit Center is almost done and it is going to be a nice transit center. It has a multi story parking structure that can handle over 600 cars! This new station will serve the new proposed Rapid A, B proposed 844, and the proposed PX-2 Premium Express route.

MTS (credit to SoCal Metro)

This new station is not open yet, but should be open in the near future. MTS still has to get the Hillery drive DAR as well as the new Mira Mesa Transit station which will be located at Miramar College right next to the Hillery Drive DAR and Westview Parkway.

DAR = Direct Access Ramp

Random parts have the new Rapid bus and an interior shot as well. 1:57-2:02, 4:36-4:43, 5:13-5:26 are glimpses of the new Rapid bus. You could easily watch the first several minutes as it talks all about the Rapid buses but after the bus portion, they also talk about the Trolley, LOSSAN corridor, highways, bicycle riding; however, I am trying to post things that are relevant to this thread. The interior is quite nice and the seats look comfortable when compared to the current buses and better than the new Gilligs. Though these seats are vandal magnets.

Thanks! I dug learning about the BRT line that will be coming. (I recommend starting to watch at the 2 minute mark)