San Diego MTS

Nabinut

Any? Try the majority of the fleet. However the 4000's are starting to roll in. 10 of the U2's have been retired to the Mendoza, Argentina system. Higher numbers, like 1061-1071. The majority of the 1000's will be retired by 2015. However according to my MTS sources several will stay on the property for Special Event services. I believe 1001 will be included in that batch. Also, i have a feeling that 1001 will become some sort of historical vehicle at some point.

'2NW.

I see, I thought that Mendoza had gotten more U2s. Glad to hear that many of them are still around, thanks for the info. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Whatever happened to the 1981 GMDD New Look #916, that was at one point in the Pacific Bus Museum? Was it destroyed in some flood or something? That bus was powered by the 6V92TA Detroit Diesel engine and Allison V730 transmission.

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

Whatever happened to the 1981 GMDD New Look #916, that was at one point in the Pacific Bus Museum? Was it destroyed in some flood or something? That bus was powered by the 6V92TA Detroit Diesel engine and Allison V730 transmission.

~Ben

Its on SDT Property at the Imperial Ave. Division (IAD), Downtown.

• 3 months later...

MTS is going back to Gillig's for 40ft buses! And is ordering New Flyer Artics (type not specified) for Rapid service along with some service expansion further down the road! Page 165 of the agenda for tomorrows meeting has all of the information!

http://www.sdmts.com/MTS/documents/2012-12-13BOARDPKG_000.pdf

'2NW

MTS is going back to Gillig's for 40ft buses! And is ordering New Flyer Artics (type not specified) for Rapid service along with some service expansion further down the road! Page 165 of the agenda for tomorrows meeting has all of the information!

http://www.sdmts.com...OARDPKG_000.pdf

'2NW

Gillig is making such crazy inroads in SoCal since offering CNG. I wonder what (partial) fleet(s) the initial 50 units will replace, and what styling options will be spec'd.

And we get Xcelsiors too! :) (p. 174)

Gillig is making such crazy inroads in SoCal since offering CNG. I wonder what (partial) fleet(s) the initial 50 units will replace, and what styling options will be spec'd.

And we get Xcelsiors too! :) (p. 174)

I'll see if i cant get some information tomorrow from my contacts through their facebook page!

http://www.sdmts.com...OARDPKG_000.pdf

50 40 foot Gilligs with option to purchase 300 more over 5 years! Gillig beat a competing bid from New Flyer :o

NFI had to settle for a consolation prize of 47 XN60s! Price of 40 million dollars. Option to purchase 118 more over 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Artist rendering of the new Gilligs (no styling package apparently!) and XN60s, from SDMTS's flickr photostream:

8270258433_f59c06607d_z_d.jpg

8271322702_06a415d8b0_z_d.jpg

The Gillig looks good, though the BRT styling should really be standard. Every major bus manufacterur as made great strides to even make the most basic bus look like a restyled beauty. Gillig, on the other hand, without the style packages, is stuck in the 90s/early 2000s.

The Gillig looks good, though the BRT styling should really be standard. Every major bus manufacterur as made great strides to even make the most basic bus look like a restyled beauty. Gillig, on the other hand, without the style packages, is stuck in the 90s/early 2000s.

With Gillig, you have a weight and cost penalty if you get the BRT package. Weight slows acceleration and reduces fuel economy, plus many local governments are short of funds these days. Given that, I think San Diego is doing the responsible thing in getting the basic box. Maybe someday Gillig will redesign that instead of adding a hunk of fiberglass.

With Gillig, you have a weight and cost penalty if you get the BRT package. Weight slows acceleration and reduces fuel economy, plus many local governments are short of funds these days. Given that, I think San Diego is doing the responsible thing in getting the basic box. Maybe someday Gillig will redesign that instead of adding a hunk of fiberglass.

I tend to agree that declining to add weight is the right move. But the LFRs in the fleet will always look newer than basic Gilligs.

Side question: Do LFRs carry more weight--due to styling--than LF buses?

I tend to agree that declining to add weight is the right move. But the LFRs in the fleet will always look newer than basic Gilligs.

Side question: Do LFRs carry more weight--due to styling--than LF buses?

The other manufacterurs do fine with restyling - the problem is that with Gillig, since the BRT is basically an advantage, to give the sloping look of BRT they have to make the bus a foot longer in front and thus extra weight like AMG mentioned. A C40LFR is a C40LF with just different shaped front(Different from Gillig's BRT which adds big piece to the front of the standard bus), so if there is a weight difference, it's small.

Gillig could easily reshape the windshields and headlights to give it a nice look without adding the big hunk of metal to front like the BRT.

The other manufacterurs do fine with restyling - the problem is that with Gillig, since the BRT is basically an advantage, to give the sloping look of BRT they have to make the bus a foot longer in front and thus extra weight like AMG mentioned. A C40LFR is a C40LF with just different shaped front(Different from Gillig's BRT which adds big piece to the front of the standard bus), so if there is a weight difference, it's small.

Gillig could easily reshape the windshields and headlights to give it a nice look without adding the big hunk of metal to front like the BRT.

New Flyer did this as well with the LFA before they designed the X series.

New Flyer did this as well with the LFA before they designed the X series.

Yes. The LFA was an LF with extra material added. The extra weight does no favors to any part of the bus.

As far as I know, the LFR and XN do not weigh more than a LF.

Yes. The LFA was an LF with extra material added. The extra weight does no favors to any part of the bus.

As far as I know, the LFR and XN do not weigh more than a LF.

Xcelsior weighs less than an LF, according to New Flyer. Should be easy to confirm via the Altoona test results on the web.

Xcelsior weighs less than an LF, according to New Flyer. Should be easy to confirm via the Altoona test results on the web.

Yeah, that's what they say. I looked at the reg on a Culver City Xcelsior, and it wasn't much different from their C40LFs.

But they keep adding equipment to buses, so it's very likely that a new C40LFR would have been even heavier.

• 5 months later...

I noticed, looking at the MTS page for the roster, that the lines 906/907 are missing from the "Routes" section. They run from the San Ysidro Border station of the SD Trolley's Blue line to the Iris station. 906 is the clockwize route, 907 the counter-clockwize route. These two lines are (apparently) run out of the South Bay division.

• 1 month later...