Nabinut

Foothill Transit & Glendale Beeline

I don't get the hate over NABI's wheel covers. I think they look great with or without. Now Gillig's BRT covers are absolutely terrible, and New Flyer's are meh at best. NABI definitely wins the BRT design.

At least the new scheme looks better on the actual bus. I still think they should have went with Mural design 1.

If the new BRT42s are going to be used primarily on Express routes and Silverstreak then the wheel covers probably provide small but significant enough improvement on fuel consumption.

Found F2101 on the 187, I swear I wasn't even looking for it... Apologies for (insert negative adjective about photos here).

IMG_0756.JPG

And yes, the new units do have Express interiors like the F1900's; my guess is these are meant for the 690 since the 187 is run mostly out of the Arcadia yard. Seats have new patterns. I would have grabbed a video if I wasn't in a rush to get to my class. And apologies again, this time for sideways photos. The uploader doesn't like me...

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

Edited by George L.

Found F2101 on the 187, I swear I wasn't even looking for it... Apologies for (insert negative adjective about photos here).

And yes, the new units do have Express interiors like the F1900's; my guess is these are meant for the 690 since the 187 is run mostly out of the Arcadia yard. Seats have new patterns. I would have grabbed a video if I wasn't in a rush to get to my class. And apologies again, this time for sideways photos. The uploader doesn't like me...

Very nice, thanks for the pics. Saw F2100 and F2101 on Friday will fanning but both were while I was on another bus.

I dig the express seating! And are those seats way comfortable?

They're comfortable in that the seats on the F1900 and F2100 series units recline much more than the existing express F1200 Orion V's. However the seats are more firm than the Orions and regular NABI 42-BRT's.

How long will the CNG V's last for?

Condition-wise, I don't think a good majority of the F1200's can last much longer; the Pomona yard has even demoted a couple of F1200's to regular local service. Right now, Foothill has enough new express units to replace 1/5 of the express Orions and enough option NABI 42-BRT units to kill them off entirely should they choose to exercise them. In any case, if Foothill used FTA funds to purchase the F1200 Orions, they should be eligible for retirement within the next few months.

By the way people, the F1100 Series Gilligs are still hanging in there as of tonight, spotted two of them on Line 187.

Edited by George L.

Condition-wise, I don't think a good majority of the F1200's can last much longer; the Pomona yard has even demoted a couple of F1200's to regular local service. Right now, Foothill has enough new express units to replace 1/5 of the express Orions and enough option NABI 42-BRT units to kill them off entirely should they choose to exercise them. In any case, if Foothill used FTA funds to purchase the F1200 Orions, they should be eligible for retirement within the next few months.

By the way people, the F1100 Series Gilligs are still hanging in there as of tonight, spotted two of them on Line 187.

Good thing I got my ride on them in Sept 2012, as I may not be able to come back to LA for the next 12 months or so.

I really like the new paint scheme, it looks good. I spotted one of the F2100 series buses running on the Sliver Streak. By the way, does anyone know if the F1100 series buses are still running?

Driving back from San Diego along Interstate 215 I saw what look like 3 Foothill Transit CNG Orion V at Transit Sales International in Murrieta.

Foothill is getting more 30CNG buses from NABI (42-BRT)? These will replace the Orion V CNG.

All the Diesel Buses namely Gillig Advantage Low Floor have been retired as reported in metro magazine.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/news/story/2014/05/calif-agency-picks-up-nabi-cng-bus-option.aspx

http://www.nabusind.com/

On the NABI front page, if you click the third little circle which shows off the NABI 60 BRT, it's a rendering of an updated Foothill Silver Streak livery on a 2014 NABI 60 BRT.

Is Foothill talking to NABI about possible new or refurbished 60 BRTs?

I saw 2 Foothill Gillig Phantoms (F1047, F1050) at Miramar college. They are at the Diesel tech area, so they are used by the students to get real, hands on learning on Diesel engines and possibly transit buses.

Any one have the fleet numbers of the 28 Orion V's sold to NICE on Long Island NY?

After plugging the VINs on AutoCheck for vehicle histories, I've found at least 23 buses that were registered at NICE: F1200, F1205, F1211, F1215, F1220, F1225-F1227, F1238, F1243-F1244, F1246-F1247, F1250-F1252, F1256-F1259, F1262, F1311-F1312. All of them have been renumbered to the 1000-series at NICE. What I don't know is which bus of its former fleet number at Foothill has been renumbered to which new fleet number at NICE, except for F1311 which is presumed to be 1021, as shown at http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/33981-random-thoughts-thread-nassau-inter-county-express-nice/?p=821837.

After plugging the VINs on AutoCheck for vehicle histories, I've found at least 23 buses that were registered at NICE: F1200, F1205, F1211, F1215, F1220, F1225-F1227, F1238, F1243-F1244, F1246-F1247, F1250-F1252, F1256-F1259, F1262, F1311-F1312. All of them have been renumbered to the 1000-series at NICE. What I don't know is which bus of its former fleet number at Foothill has been renumbered to which new fleet number at NICE, except for F1311 which is presumed to be 1021, as shown at http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/33981-random-thoughts-thread-nassau-inter-county-express-nice/?p=821837.

Thanks for sharing this

Foothill Transit is now running three fast-charge, zero emissions Ecoliner buses on Line 855, a community connector that serves Claremont and Pomona, with stops near the Claremont Colleges, the Claremont Transit Center and Pomona Transit Center.

http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_release/12051070/zero-emissions-ecoliner-expanding-service-to-new-lines

Is this(the 2300s) the final batch?

Foothill will probably go back to the Gillig BRT Plus or XN40 to replace the remaining Orion Vs. I was really hoping they could replace everything but the 40-LFWs with BRTs before production ceased. Oh well. The Gillig BRT Plus would be closest in terms of design, but it looks a wannabe NABI BRT at this point. I'd much rather have the real thing.

I wish I could petition New Flyer to keep around such an iconic looking bus. The average rider usually can't tell the difference between something like an Orion V or a 40-LFW. But even the most average, non-caring riders know what the NABI BRT looks like.

Me: "have you seen Foothill's curvy new bus?"

Average Rider: "Oh yea! Even LA has some of those."

Me: "Does LA also have some of their older buses as well?"

Average Rider: "No idea"

Is this(the 2300s) the final batch?

Foothill will probably go back to the Gillig BRT Plus or XN40 to replace the remaining Orion Vs. I was really hoping they could replace everything but the 40-LFWs with BRTs before production ceased. Oh well. The Gillig BRT Plus would be closest in terms of design, but it looks a wannabe NABI BRT at this point. I'd much rather have the real thing.

I wish I could petition New Flyer to keep around such an iconic looking bus. The average rider usually can't tell the difference between something like an Orion V or a 40-LFW. But even the most average, non-caring riders know what the NABI BRT looks like.

Me: "have you seen Foothill's curvy new bus?"

Average Rider: "Oh yea! Even LA has some of those."

Me: "Does LA also have some of their older buses as well?"

Average Rider: "No idea"

Great point about the distinctiveness of the NABI BRT. It is a big loss to bus fans.

As for your question about being the final batch, that seems likely to me since New Flyer has been very clear that they are transitioning this year to making Xcelsiors at the Alabama facility--instead of making all the NABIs there.