CPTDB Wiki was recently upgraded! Please report any issues here.

Nabinut

Foothill Transit & Glendale Beeline

So I suppose Foothill with just receive more NABI 42-BRT's, as NABI has now discontinued the production of the Metro 40/45C.

http://www.nabusind....0Production.pdf

Damn, annoyed is an understatement. Some of Foothill's heavier lines need 45 foot buses. Hopefully the cost is now reduced and Foothill can pick up some extra buses to compensate.

It will indeed be sad to see the 45C go. However, I keep forgetting that those 45Cs don't meet buy-America standards and that LACMTA had to buy them using non-federal funds. This also explains why no one was buying the 45C, because no one could get federal funds to get them.

It is interesting how NABI is more deserving of their name now, North American Bus Industries. The more domestic production has seen a noticeable increase in NABI's build quality.

All of NABI's shells for SFW and LFW used to be shipped over from Hungary, using federal funds in the past. Not sure why they couldn't use federal funding for the 45C. I know there has to be a certain percentage built in the US though. Maybe down the road Foothill will be forced to purchase more artics for their heaviest lines?

According to our wiki, a Buy America waiver for the 45C expired in March 2004 and was not renewed. Federal funds were not available for the purchase of compobuses after that.

I see. They had something different on wiki... "In late 2007 NABI began re-commissioning its CompoBus production plant in Kaposvar, simultaneously shifting certain assembly operations to Anniston and thus rendering the CompoBus compliant with Buy America requirements. CompoBus deliveries resumed in 2008 without the need for further waivers from the FTA.". Not sure if that is correct. Sorry for the confusion.

I see. They had something different on wiki... "In late 2007 NABI began re-commissioning its CompoBus production plant in Kaposvar, simultaneously shifting certain assembly operations to Anniston and thus rendering the CompoBus compliant with Buy America requirements. CompoBus deliveries resumed in 2008 without the need for further waivers from the FTA.". Not sure if that is correct. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't know either which is correct. Thanks for sharing!

I don't know either which is correct. Thanks for sharing!

The Compobus was compliant with the buy America act, though certain components were still being assembled and/or shipped from Hungary. As you can see now NABI is shifting 100% of their operations to Anniston. I can only assume NABI saw it as a benefit to no longer ship overseas and complete all assembly in the U.S.

Now regarding the buses for Foothill Transit, I was able to contact them and they confirmed they'd still be be getting new buses despite the discontinuation. Naturally I assume the options are no 42-BRT's.

Either way, they'll replace the F1100's. Keep in mind that the agency will still be refurbishing the F1300's, F1400's, & F1500's.

Maybe down the road Foothill will be forced to purchase more artics for their heaviest lines?

Foothill already uses spare Silver Streak 60-BRTs for select 480 and 187 runs.

Foothill can easily run the one and half hour long route at it's current 20 minute headways with10-15 buses. Foothill has 30 total 60 BRTs.

The Compobus was compliant with the buy America act, though certain components were still being assembled and/or shipped from Hungary. As you can see now NABI is shifting 100% of their operations to Anniston. I can only assume NABI saw it as a benefit to no longer ship overseas and complete all assembly in the U.S.

Now regarding the buses for Foothill Transit, I was able to contact them and they confirmed they'd still be be getting new buses despite the discontinuation. Naturally I assume the options are no 42-BRT's.

Either way, they'll replace the F1100's. Keep in mind that the agency will still be refurbishing the F1300's, F1400's, & F1500's.

Wait, so you are saying that the new order won't 42-BRTs? If not, then Gen 3 40-LFWs?

Foothill can easily run the one and half hour long route at it's current 20 minute headways with10-15 buses. Foothill has 30 total 60 BRTs.

Wait, so you are saying that the new order won't 42-BRTs? If not, then Gen 3 40-LFWs?

My apologies, that was a typo. I meant for it to read "Naturally I assume the options are now 42-BRT's.".

Of course Gen III 40-LFW's would be nice as well, but I assume Foothill would go for uniformity.

So no need for more 60-BRT's if they have spares then. If down the road they decide to refurbish the F1600's too, it is good to have those spares.

An ex-Foothill Transit bus spotted in the least likely locale: Bus 2016 with Oxford-University Transit Commission (Mississippi) is one of a couple of 40ft. Gillig LF's it got from Foothill Transit and spotted near the Student Union of the University of Mississippi in the past March. Hope these pictures will be of interest here. Thanks!

OUTC-Yellow-2016 -1.JPG

OUTC-Yellow-2016 -2.JPG

OUTC-Yellow-2016 -3.JPG

Wow, I wonder how they got there...

Anyways, the remaining Gilligs are still going strong. Look for them on the Silver Streak during weekday rush hours or at West Covina Plaza. :)

Rode #1114 on line 280 today. First Gillig ride in almost a year and it was a nice change from the standard NABI's they have on the line.

This is also the first time I've inadvertantly inhaled diesel in a long time, LOL.

Wow, I wonder how they got there...

Anyways, the remaining Gilligs are still going strong. Look for them on the Silver Streak during weekday rush hours or at West Covina Plaza. :)

George L is back! :D

Anyone know if the Proterras are going strong at Foothill?

According to this video here, youtube user Marc Caraan sighted Glendale Beeline's one or more 2012-2013 New Flyer C40LFR B78. That is the recent addition to Glendale Beeline's fleet. It also feature a new paint scheme with purple color complimented with gold and red stripe in the paint.

http://www.latimes.c...0,4602425.story

Looks like an articulated got in an accident.

I'm officially done with first transit. Foothill Transit has officially been flushed down the toilet with a plunger.

Poorly maintained buses, drivers with almost no customer service skills, Orion Vs routinely breaking down on I-10(I see a broken down Orion V EVERY TIME I go on the freeway now, not exhaggerating) and now this?

http://www.newflyer.com/index/2013_10_18_foothills_transit_award

In January 2013, Foothill Transit awarded NABI a new contract for 30 model 42-BRT buses, with options for up to 120 additional buses over a four year period. Foothill has now ordered its next installment by exercising options for 30 additional new buses.

The 42-BRT was derived from NABI’s larger, 60-foot articulated BRT, already being operated by Foothill Transit. These buses are sleek and streamlined, with rooftop equipment completely concealed below the roofline. They also utilize a raked, single-piece windshield and hidden-frame side windows to add to their chic and iconic appearance.

Foothill Transit’s Executive Director, Doran Barnes noted, “One of the key objectives with this purchase has been to obtain visually distinctive buses capable of attracting new riders. With bus appearance and design being critical, the NABI 42-BRT is a natural choice.” Barnes added, “These buses draw positive public attention and allow us to position public transit as a tech-forward and innovative transportation option for our communities. Their high seating capacity helps in our denser cities, and they are loaded with customer-oriented features.”

Paul Soubry, President and CEO of New Flyer commented, “This contract is Foothill Transit’s fourth contract with NABI since 2004. We are very proud of Foothill’s strong relationship with New Flyer’s subsidiary, NABI, and we are excited about how these sleek new buses complement our overall product portfolio”.

Foothill transit’s new buses will be produced entirely at NABI’s Anniston, AL manufacturing facility.

This is great. I just absolutely love NABI BRT Series. Especially in recent years, where NABI's build quality has much improved. NABI's newer buses also have a much smoother ride. I wish foothill would kill all those dying Orion Vs and Gilligs and replace them all with 42-BRTs.

It too bad Gillig is low-balling everyone with it's questionable-quality buses. I would love to see some LFW 3Gs like DART around LA.

Nice to hear from you Zeke! What does ball-balling mean? :D

Thanks! College work has been kicking me. I didn't proof read that post like I usually do. I meant low-balling.