Gardena & Torrance Transit

Nabinut

The legal "ban" was tossed out by the courts a few years ago but all the public transit agencies and local governments in SCAQMD areas then voluntarily agreed to continue to exclude diesel buses and trucks from their fleets.

And since all of them have now made the capital investment for CNG storage and fueling facilities, and on the account of super low CNG prices vs. diesel, there is no chance they will now go back to diesel.

There was a VTA Gillig diesel hybrid bus running around LA doing CARB emission testing recently. I have a feeling we may see some agencies be able to go with DE hybrids as an option after 2016 possible in So Cal

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys, now for some fun...

There's some new equipment on a small batch of Torrance Transit buses.

First one to spot it will get a Torrance Transit tote bag (which I personally designed).

Actually, the item you're looking for is also something I designed. ;) happy hunting!

• 1 month later...

Well, looks like ya'll are no fun.

Anyway, the item you were looking for is the new AVL system. They're floating around on about 4 buses and beginning really soon, it'll be in testing -- that means Torrance Transit buses will call out the stops!

Notice how the LED sign up front differs from those at other agencies :)

Next year should be extremely interesting, as you'll see new things from both Gardena in terms of their branding and Torrance in terms of services in regards to AVL among a few other game changing items.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys, now for some fun...

There's some new equipment on a small batch of Torrance Transit buses.

First one to spot it will get a Torrance Transit tote bag (which I personally designed).

Actually, the item you're looking for is also something I designed. ;) happy hunting!

I noticed it. I just haven't had wifi to post! I've heard it on 484,486,and 492!

I like the PA announcements, I just wish they would announce the stops already but that takes time.

Well, looks like ya'll are no fun.

Anyway, the item you were looking for is the new AVL system. They're floating around on about 4 buses and beginning really soon, it'll be in testing -- that means Torrance Transit buses will call out the stops!

Notice how the LED sign up front differs from those at other agencies :)

Next year should be extremely interesting, as you'll see new things from both Gardena in terms of their branding and Torrance in terms of services in regards to AVL among a few other game changing items.

When is the rebranding going to start? I'm sure they are ready to use those Ex Santa Rosa GE40LFRs. And do you know what the design is or at least the colors they chose?

And I hope Torrance has those Xcelsiors ordered already. What other game changing items are coming in the future?Give us Hints!

• 1 month later...

GTrans remakes Gardena’s Municipal Bus Lines into a flashier, modern fleet

By Sandy Mazza, Daily Breeze

Posted:

02/01/15, 3:51 PM PST

Gardena Municipal Bus Lines is freshening up the look of its fleet in a new marketing campaign designed to boost ridership.

Soon, the 1970s-style white city buses with their characteristic green-and-yellow stripe will no longer be seen crisscrossing the South Bay and into downtown Los Angeles.

Instead, the 65-bus fleet is being repainted with big splashes of emerald green and a giant, assertive “G.” GTrans is the rebranded name of the modernized bus system.

“The main goal of our new marketing campaign is to increase ridership,” said Paula Faust, Gardena’s deputy director of transportation. “We would like to see a 10 percent increase over the next three to five years.”

Currently, about 15,000 people ride the bus lines on each weekday. The new marketing designs were chosen with the help of focus research groups that clued Faust and her staff in on the fact that many people associate the city’s five bus lines with the color green.

A new all-electric bus has been added to the gas-hybrid squadron to test whether the city will transition to that technology as it replaces its buses in the next six years. The buses also have been recently equipped with police surveillance cameras, which are also present throughout the city. The video feeds are reviewed at the Gardena Police Department.

Each face-lift will be paid for with about $14,000 of county sales tax funds.

Base fares are still $1, and 40 cents per transfer with discounts for students, seniors, children and the disabled. But they can now be paid with Transit Access Pass (TAP) smart cards, which are accepted on all Metro bus and rail lines in Los Angeles County as well as on Torrance Transit, Palos Verdes Peninsula Transit Authority and other city-operated public transportation systems.

--

Photo of new Gtrans BYD bus on the page!

I like the new look. The old livery was looking very tired.

Although the green color looks very similar to Culver City... If the bus was approaching, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Good think Gardena and Culver City service areas don't overlap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

G Trans is coming alive! Here's 2917 on the 5 today. It's usually out every weekday on the 5. Also 723,737,and 773 are repainted

SAM_9747.JPG

SAM_9761.JPG

SAM_9765.JPG

SAM_9762.JPG

Do these buses have the LED interior display signs for the Automated Announcement System?

Yes they do

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry for the bump on this thread.

GTrans recently got rid of two 2005 New Flyer GE40LFs and three 1997 Novabus RTS-06s buses. Those buses are now listed on Ken Porter Auctions, and to be auctioned off on 9/21/19. For those GE40LFs, I think they are 705 and 717, because they were parked in the parking lot, next to the Novabus RTS-06 buses. 

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...