Transit in Hong Kong

Orion V

Ok, clearly 99% of the people here have no knowledge whatsoever of HK transit due to the replies I'm getting when I ask these type of questions in addition to the fact that no one replied to my video update thread. So now I ask, does any of you know a good HK transit board that uses English and most people actually have an interest in them?

you can try one of the Yahoo groups. For more info check out my links page on my website.

KMB G1-4 were Guy Victory J models from Leyland South Africa Ltd.. The rest of the Victories were Leyland Victory Mk2 models from British Leyland.

Also, those are non-powered trailers towed to double-deck trams, they were charged first-class price along with the top deck of the tram, lower deck of the trams were charged third-class price. Apparently the trailers were withdrawn due to noise complaints, not ridership because some photos showed some trailers packed with passengers.

KMB G1-4 were Guy Victory J models from Leyland South Africa Ltd.. The rest of the Victories were Leyland Victory Mk2 models from British Leyland.

Also, those are non-powered trailers towed to double-deck trams, they were charged first-class price along with the top deck of the tram, lower deck of the trams were charged third-class price. Apparently the trailers were withdrawn due to noise complaints, not ridership because some photos showed some trailers packed with passengers.

Thanks for the info!

When did they stop the class system on the tram? How much more was first class and how differences were there?

Why wasn't there a 2nd class?

1st Question:

DSC06468.jpg

These are the new destination signs on some of the newer KMB buses although the newest 2006 versions don't have them for some reason. They are ultra bright at night, as bright as the amber LEDs on the rebuilt CTB buses.

My question is, are they LCD signs or some other form?

For comparison purposes, the bottom pic is the normal dot-matrix signs they have.

DSC06466.jpg

2nd Question:

What is this bus right below?

It's a Volgen bodied bus so it narrows down to B10TL, B9TL and 24.310. It ain't the B10TL since there's no floor vent. There's 2 vents at the rear side so that eliminates teh MAN Volgens. There's only 1 B9TL Volgen and it has plate number LJ 7006 and KMB hasn't ordered anymore B9TL Volgens. So what bus is this???

kmb_avd1_r6c_2.jpg

Edited by Orion V Exp

If you had a bigger picture, I would be able to tell you about the signs.

I'm pretty sure they had LED-backlit high-resolution flipdot signs, but that newer one seems to be a LCD.

That could be a Volgren-bodied Volvo Super Olympian.

After taking a quick look at a very good HK bus site, I discovered that bus is AVD1, the demo B9TL-Volgren body. The registration has simply been changed.

http://www.i-busnet.com/photo/fleet/search...leetNumber=AVD1

I heard AVD1 left after a short time after testing but was brought back to KMB a while later. That's probably when they changed the plate then.

It's funny that Gakei's site never mentioned any of this (since he seems to know the most on KMB) and his Golden Bus Page roster doesn't have an AVD1 in it.

On his roster page, there is 1 ATEU Alexander Dennis Enviro 500 delivered in 2006. But the specs seems to be the same as the ATEs by AlexDen Enviro 500, anyone know?

Check out this website

http://www.i-busnet.com/photo/fleet/

Generally speaking it seems to have information that is more up to date and specific. Basic specs for each bus order. Registration-fleet number matches and photos. Its mostly in Chinese so you have to guess your way through the links, but its pretty uniformly structured so its not that hard if can't read chinese like myself.

Plus that site is kept up to date so thats another plus.

Check out this website

http://www.i-busnet.com/photo/fleet/

Generally speaking it seems to have information that is more up to date and specific. Basic specs for each bus order. Registration-fleet number matches and photos. Its mostly in Chinese so you have to guess your way through the links, but its pretty uniformly structured so its not that hard if can't read chinese like myself.

Plus that site is kept up to date so thats another plus.

Thanks, you're right that site is pretty good and it loads faster than Gakei's too. LOL.

It looks like that special ATEU bus has Euro IV engines, but the strange thing is, all the B9TL with "2006" written on the livery (delivered in 2006) also have Euro IV engines, same goes for the 2006 ATE Enviro 500s.

Anyone have a close-up shot of that sign? I'd be interested in seeing it.

I can't even find one of Gakei's site and he has the most photos of any buses.

All I know is, only the Enviro 500 and Wright Explorers have them and only a limited number of them.

Please tell me someone here knows more???

• 3 weeks later...

Here are two videos that I recorded from a KMB Volvo B10TL and B9TL... :)

Hong Kong Kowloon Motor Bus KMB Volvo Super Olympian 3ASV42 Rt.968

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=26...18356&hl=en

Hong Kong Kowloon Motor Bus KMB Volvo Super Olympian AVBW2 Rt.905

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...26293&hl=en

HOLY CHRIST! That's some REAL nice videos..........THANKS FOR SHARING!!! :)

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not too certain on this - but I do believe that the buses that have tinted windows are the ones that are not air-conditioned operated by KMB. One except that I could think of right now would be the KMB AF-class, which are the Dennis Falcons - and they are purchased and promoted as luxury suburban coaches. I know for sure that the non-air-conditioned Leyland Olympians have tinted window (KMB S3BL-class), and the colors are either brown or light-turquoise.

Dave

Here are two videos that I recorded from a KMB Volvo B10TL and B9TL... :)

Hong Kong Kowloon Motor Bus KMB Volvo Super Olympian 3ASV42 Rt.968

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=26...18356&hl=en

Hong Kong Kowloon Motor Bus KMB Volvo Super Olympian AVBW2 Rt.905

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...26293&hl=en

The 2nd video should be a Volvo B9TL, not Super Olympian.

What did you use to record such a long video?

We all know the Trident/B10TL WA bodies are called ALX500 while the DM bodies are called DM5000.

But what are the names of the bodies of the Volgren, Berkof and Wright for the B10TL/B9TL/24.310?

In the Olympians and Dragon/Condors, what are the body names if they are Duple Metsec and Walter Alexander? Same goes for the Scania and others that pop up in mind (the high floor A/C buses).

We all know the Trident/B10TL WA bodies are called ALX500 while the DM bodies are called DM5000.

But what are the names of the bodies of the Volgren, Berkof and Wright for the B10TL/B9TL/24.310?

In the Olympians and Dragon/Condors, what are the body names if they are Duple Metsec and Walter Alexander? Same goes for the Scania and others that pop up in mind (the high floor A/C buses).

I think people just call it Dennis Dragon with duple metsec body. That's it.

CTB Route 6

Take a look at this video; halfway through, notice people start paying the bus fare when they get OFF the bus instead of going on. I thought all passengers are required to pay the fare when they board?

Also, after the mountain, the fare reduces from $7.9 to $4.6, so if the passengers got on near the initially stop and didn't pay, they pay when they get off after the mountain, that means the whole ride was $4.6? I'm lost! :lol:

Here's some more questions to revive this thread:

Now that it's 5 years since the last time CTB/NWFB bought new buses, I wonder what type of buses they'll buy? Their favorite Trident is out of production which leads me to think they'll get the Enviro 500 since it is a Dennis product and we all know how much CTB loves Dennis!

Anyone know if the KMB ATE series are finished with the last being ATE271? They renamed ATE257 to ATEU1 for the Euro IV Engine so does that mean future AlexDennis Enviro 500s will be ATEUs?

Is KMB finished with ordering 10.6m or <12m double decker buses and single decker buses? No future orders foreseen.