Transit in Hong Kong

Orion V

Ok, Kevin helped me differentiate between the various confusing models and bodies but I have 1 more question that baffles me and him.

How do you differentiate between the Volvo B9TL with Enviro body (AVBE Class) AND the Transbus Enviro 500 (ATE Class)?

most ATEs have a window between the driver and the stairs, they also have the rear destionation sign at the top, above the windows instead of below the window between the window and the A/C, the rear turn signals have some slight differences as well. in the front they have differences, like the AVBE are "happy", because of the shape of the front, gives off an smile face. although this is not always true as new ATEs have these new features incorperated into them.

the only sure thing in telling a ATE and AVBE apart is the wheels. the ATE has the pattern of (1)(2)(1) while the AVBE is (1)(1)(2). the 1 is the type of rim that is most similar, the 1 being the rim that comes out away from the body of the bus while type 2 is when is goes into the bus.

ATE.jpg

this is 2 ATE from the Rear, the closer one in the newer ATE with AVBE features, while the farther one is the older ATE.

ATE111.jpg

this is the older ATE, notice the rim patterns

KMB_AVBE1_6C.jpg

this is the AVBE, notice the changes and different rim pattern

MM4353___212_to_Sham_Shui_Po_Tokin_Street_.jpg

this is a New ATE with the AVBE changes,but note the pattern is the same as the older ATEs

The Volgren bodied buses can be distinguished by looking at the body lines at the back of the bus. Study some photos and you will see what I mean. Though at first glance they do look similar. Though the MAN Volgren buses have the MAN badge on the front that is quite large. So thats an easy way of telling.

The MAN 24.310 along with the Neoplan Centroliner never did make much of a mark in Hong Kong. The Centroliner sold more units, but still relatively few compared to the number of Dennis/Transbus and Volvo products on the streets. I have heard that KMB was not overly impressed with either the Neoplan Centroliner nor the MAN 24.310 buses that they got.

the Volgrens MAN and Super Olympian Volgrens are also different in the fact the rear turn signals are different, and the wheels. like with the Dennis Trident and Super Volvo Olympian,

the MAN Volgren has (1)(2)(1) while Super Olympian Volgren has the (1)(1)(2).

originally, Citybus ordered the MANs, but due to the governement rule on having a certain amount of buses, citybus was not allowed to take the order. the order was for 31 MANs with Berhof bodies and 2 MANs with Volgren bodies. MAN sold one Berhof MAN to a company on lantau island in HK. while the rest of the 32 MANs were bought by KMB. KMB later returned to MAN for more Volgren MANs, the difference between CTBs and KMBs is the ones KMB ordered the staircase configuration was the same as the Super Olympains, they were right behind the drivers seat, while the ones CTB originally ordered has the stairs moved back with a windows between the driver and the stairs.

yes, both NWFB and KMB are now not really happy with Centroliner maintaince, but note, KMB did return to Neoplan twice i believe to buy more Centroliners after the original order of 30. they currently have more than 100 centroliners.

Neoplan bought MAN the most recent Neoplan is refered to as a NeoMan Centroliner.

so it is really unsure if KMB is really unhappy as they did return to both companies for buses.

the Volgrens MAN and Super Olympian Volgrens are also different in the fact the rear turn signals are different, and the wheels. like with the Dennis Trident and Super Volvo Olympian,

the MAN Volgren has (1)(2)(1) while Super Olympian Volgren has the (1)(1)(2).

originally, Citybus ordered the MANs, but due to the governement rule on having a certain amount of buses, citybus was not allowed to take the order. the order was for 31 MANs with Berhof bodies and 2 MANs with Volgren bodies. MAN sold one Berhof MAN to a company on lantau island in HK. while the rest of the 32 MANs were bought by KMB. KMB later returned to MAN for more Volgren MANs, the difference between CTBs and KMBs is the ones KMB ordered the staircase configuration was the same as the Super Olympains, they were right behind the drivers seat, while the ones CTB originally ordered has the stairs moved back with a windows between the driver and the stairs.

yes, both NWFB and KMB are now not really happy with Centroliner maintaince, but note, KMB did return to Neoplan twice i believe to buy more Centroliners after the original order of 30. they currently have more than 100 centroliners.

Neoplan bought MAN the most recent Neoplan is refered to as a NeoMan Centroliner.

so it is really unsure if KMB is really unhappy as they did return to both companies for buses.

discovery Bay purchased one of the MAN bus.

discovery Bay purchased one of the MAN bus.

That would have been New Lantau Bus (NLB), not Discovery Bay Transit Services, unless their is a MAN 24.310 I don't know about.

Thanks for the help with the details aznichiro115!

The MAN bus which we are talking about is pictured below

nlb_jn4886.jpg

Thanks aznichiro115.

About the KMB automated announcements, do all the low floor (golden/green) buses have them? Did they have them when delivered?

How about the white high floor A/C buses in KMB, I know some have them but do they all have them or going to retrofit with them?

How come CTB and NWFB doesn't have the automated announcements?

All low floors and high floors buses have automated announcements I believe, with the exception of a few non-A/C buses that are about to retire now.

Like aznichiro115 said, the position of the driving axle is different for the Trident and B9TL/B10TL, the Trident (Transbus Enviro500) has a non-driving axle between the driving axle and the engine compartment; the B9TL/B10TL driving axle is right in front of the engine compartment.

Thanks aznichiro115.

About the KMB automated announcements, do all the low floor (golden/green) buses have them? Did they have them when delivered?

How about the white high floor A/C buses in KMB, I know some have them but do they all have them or going to retrofit with them?

How come CTB and NWFB doesn't have the automated announcements?

i think NWFB is or was testing a similar system on Route 15

That would have been New Lantau Bus (NLB), not Discovery Bay Transit Services, unless their is a MAN 24.310 I don't know about.

Thanks for the help with the details aznichiro115!

The MAN bus which we are talking about is pictured below

nlb_jn4886.jpg

thanks for the correction. Too bad NLB didn't purchase any more double deckers to replace victory

Does KMB still have AVD1 bus? The B9TL Volgen demo one of a kind. I don't see it listed on the Golden Bus Page of KMB roster.

they do now, they did sent it some where for a while and got it back after. i rode it over the summer, twice.

i have question that i have never understood, what exactly is the law that kept Citybus from taking the MAN order and would someone explain the law.

they do now, they did sent it some where for a while and got it back after. i rode it over the summer, twice.

i have question that i have never understood, what exactly is the law that kept Citybus from taking the MAN order and would someone explain the law.

each public transit company can only purchase a certain number of buses from one manufacturer. City Bus already has X number of single decker MAN bus before they ordered the MAN double deckers.

each public transit company can only purchase a certain number of buses from one manufacturer. City Bus already has X number of single decker MAN bus before they ordered the MAN double deckers.

So why they ordered it initially?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if there's ever a Leyland Victory 1 or Leyland Victory MK1 bus? If not then why did they name the famous one MK2?

BTW, do any admin here know how to bump up the thread if I wanted to ask a new question but the last reply was from me? If I edit my last reply, the thread doesn't get bumped up and only the keeniest people will know this thread has been modified.

Anyone know if there's ever a Leyland Victory 1 or Leyland Victory MK1 bus? If not then why did they name the famous one MK2?

BTW, do any admin here know how to bump up the thread if I wanted to ask a new question but the last reply was from me? If I edit my last reply, the thread doesn't get bumped up and only the keeniest people will know this thread has been modified.

yes Leyland Victory 1 does exists. They are prototype and they were made in India! They look extremly ugly. I prefer Victory 2.

yes Leyland Victory 1 does exists. They are prototype and they were made in India! They look extremly ugly. I prefer Victory 2.

Any pics?

Was it really built by Leyland?

Anyone know what happen to that Citybus trolley test bus?

Any pics?

Was it really built by Leyland?

Anyone know what happen to that Citybus trolley test bus?

I have a video showing Victory 1 however I don't know how to screenshot the video. Sorry the Leyland Victory 1 was built in Africa Not India. There were only 4 Leyland Victory 1 iirc.

I think Citybus scrapped that idea.

I am not if it was built by Guy or Leyland.

I have a video showing Victory 1 however I don't know how to screenshot the video. Sorry the Leyland Victory 1 was built in Africa Not India. There were only 4 Leyland Victory 1 iirc.

I think Citybus scrapped that idea.

I am not if it was built by Guy or Leyland.

KMB had a Guy Victory MK1, not sure if this was the real Victory 1.

What ever happen to the single decker streetcars that use to be linked to a double decker?

HK_Tram_5_.jpg

Edited by Orion V Exp

Ok, clearly 99% of the people here have no knowledge whatsoever of HK transit due to the replies I'm getting when I ask these type of questions in addition to the fact that no one replied to my video update thread. So now I ask, does any of you know a good HK transit board that uses English and most people actually have an interest in them?

What's wrong wth the Enviro 500 to cause it not be in your liking?

The Enviro 500 is also a good bus. Everything that it offers are better than average. When B10TL was offered, the Enviro 500 has the speed and power that are needed in a B10TL. However, the B9TL improved the speed and power, but it seems that the B9TL isn't as smooth as the B10TL. Like the E500, the B9TL does occasionally rattle a little when idling. I guess that's the trade-off.

KMB had a Guy Victory MK1, not sure if this was the real Victory 1.

What ever happen to the single decker streetcars that use to be linked to a double decker?

HK_Tram_5_.jpg

The single decker streetcar shown in pic became the #163 double decker tram.

Other single decker trams were scrapped.

Ok, clearly 99% of the people here have no knowledge whatsoever of HK transit due to the replies I'm getting when I ask these type of questions in addition to the fact that no one replied to my video update thread. So now I ask, does any of you know a good HK transit board that uses English and most people actually have an interest in them?

Haven't seen an English HK transit board.

Maybe you can try this thread in SSC.

Hong Kong Double Decker Buses