Transit in Hong Kong

Orion V

they are Volvo B9TL with transbus bodis

ATEU1, AVD1, (ASU1?) are Euro IV buses,

AVD1 is a Volvo B9TL with Volgren body

ASU2 and 3 have yet to be seen, so you can assume they have not been made, ASU1 has yet to run normal routes

Oh yes, I keep forgetting that Volgren got repowered to Euro IV.

ASU2 and 3 are made, I don't know if they're delivered though.

The author of this site says he's seen all 3 last summer. Scania is probably holding back 2 of them for displaying or testing.

K95UD

This site clearly says the new Volvo model is Olympian SLF B9TL. For those of you who don't understand it, Olympian SLF is the model name while B9TL is a tech name. Examples of these would be Super Olympian B10TL, Olympian B10T, Invero D40i, Classic TC40-102N, Orion V 05.501. See how the first name is the bus model while the second part is the tech name.

I'm not 100% sure if that applies to the B9TL since everyone just refers to them like that, but that's the way I see it.

Olympian SLF

Oh yes, I keep forgetting that Volgren got repowered to Euro IV.

ASU2 and 3 are made, I don't know if they're delivered though.

The author of this site says he's seen all 3 last summer. Scania is probably holding back 2 of them for displaying or testing.

K95UD

This site clearly says the new Volvo model is Olympian SLF B9TL. For those of you who don't understand it, Olympian SLF is the model name while B9TL is a tech name. Examples of these would be Super Olympian B10TL, Olympian B10T, Invero D40i, Classic TC40-102N, Orion V 05.501. See how the first name is the bus model while the second part is the tech name.

I'm not 100% sure if that applies to the B9TL since everyone just refers to them like that, but that's the way I see it.

Olympian SLF

no one in hong kong refers the B9TL as olympians, although they do stem from the super olympians, just like how people in hong kong call they super olympians, super olympians and not B10TLs

anyone have a second opinion on this?

• 2 weeks later...

Guess not! LOL.

Anyone know what Dennis called their 12m 3 axle high floor bus that were sold in Europe? In HK, they called it Condor/Dragons (region specific) and officially, the 2 axle one was Dominator, but what was the 3 axle one?

Most if not all bus enthusiasts in Hong Kong just call the B9TL the "B9", the B10TL as the SuperOlympian. Volvo evolved the old Leyland Olympian chassis to its Volvo Olympian chassis and then to the B10TL Super Olympian chassis (notice the engine compartments all look extremely similar on the Leyland/Volvo Olympian and B10TL). The B9TL however deviates from the Olympian designs and can be assumed to be an entirely new chassis.

What are some examples of those 12m 3-axle high floor buses sold in Europe?

I would guess that they'll be called the Dominator 6x2 since the Condor/Dragon is in fact "expanded" on the Dominator chassis.

Guess not! LOL.

Anyone know what Dennis called their 12m 3 axle high floor bus that were sold in Europe? In HK, they called it Condor/Dragons (region specific) and officially, the 2 axle one was Dominator, but what was the 3 axle one?

There were no 3 axle Dennis double deckers ever sold new in Europe, there have been some Dragons and Condors repatriated to Europe from Hong Kong though.

The only 3 axle double deckers sold new in the UK in the last 50 years were 3 Leyland Olympians for Stagecoach in the 90's and 10 Volvo B7's for First Bus, which operate in their Glasgow subsidiary, about 5 years ago. There were also some 3 axle Volvo deckers sold to Copenhagen about 6 or 7 years ago.

While working on the KMB wiki, I've come across a little conflict. For 2001-2004 ALX500s, would the bodies be manufactured by TransBus and for post 2004 ALX500s, would the bodies be manufactured by Alexander Dennis? The info I have says Walter Alexander for all the ALX500s, but I know there are TransBus and Alexander Dennis ALX range buses.

Guess not! LOL.

The reason why there were called Condors/Dragons is that the first examples 'Dennis Dragons' went to KMB. When CMB received theirs they didn't want them to be called Dragons, that was a KMB name, so they became Dennis Condors.

There were no 3 axle Dennis double deckers ever sold new in Europe, there have been some Dragons and Condors repatriated to Europe from Hong Kong though.

The only 3 axle double deckers sold new in the UK in the last 50 years were 3 Leyland Olympians for Stagecoach in the 90's and 10 Volvo B7's for First Bus, which operate in their Glasgow subsidiary, about 5 years ago. There were also some 3 axle Volvo deckers sold to Copenhagen about 6 or 7 years ago.

Several questions here:

So the reason is because there are no 3 axle versions of the Dominator sold by default in Europe, which is why when HK ordered it, they had to give it a special name only made for the chinese market?

It's funny since there are 3 axle Olympian B10Ts in Europe aren't there?

While looking at the roster, I've been pondering about this.

It seems all Volvo buses have lower hp than Dennis buses in the same era; B10TLs have 285hp while Tridents have 305hp, B9TLs have 300hp while E500s have 335hp.

Seeing as how it's a double decker 12m bus with heavy loads in HK and the hills, how can those Volvo buses do it? Is it a different comparison of power between Volvo engines and Cummins engines?

Also of interest is the fact that the Volvo Olympian B10Ts 12m with A/C have 245hp, that's even weaker than a standard 6V92TA we have here in Canada. How can they do it? And don't even get me started on the older 2 axle double decker buses with pre-6V71N horsepower engines!

Several questions here:

So the reason is because there are no 3 axle versions of the Dominator sold by default in Europe, which is why when HK ordered it, they had to give it a special name only made for the chinese market?

It's funny since there are 3 axle Olympian B10Ts in Europe aren't there?

I think you are reading too much into the name thing, they were to all intents and purposes Dominator chassis, the HK operators preferred to give them more oriental names. At the time Dennis was a very small company trying to re-enter the bus market (they previous made small batches of buses in the 50's and 60's) they were more of a niche manufacturer than the large company they are today. They would have called the bus anything you want to get the sale. There is absolutley nothing else in it.

The 3 Olympian chassis sold were LEYLAND not Volvo Olmpians, there are no B10T Olympians in Europe at all.

Ok, seeing as how no one knows the answer to the remaining questions, I'll start my next question. (I waited for a while since everytime I put lots of questions on, only a a few gets answered and I get the feeling people missed some of the questions, especially when 1 question gets answered and people starts focusing on only that question/answer).

MAN acquired Neoplan in 2001 or around there, so wouldn't the 2nd batch of Centroliners in KMB/NWFB be called NeoMAN Centroliners? I see most sites still state them as Neoplan Centroliners?

For KMB's APM1 wide bodied Centroliner, I saw a site calling it NeoMAN A34, anyone heard of this weird labelling before?

Ok, seeing as how no one knows the answer to the remaining questions, I'll start my next question. (I waited for a while since everytime I put lots of questions on, only a a few gets answered and I get the feeling people missed some of the questions, especially when 1 question gets answered and people starts focusing on only that question/answer).

MAN acquired Neoplan in 2001 or around there, so wouldn't the 2nd batch of Centroliners in KMB/NWFB be called NeoMAN Centroliners? I see most sites still state them as Neoplan Centroliners?

For KMB's APM1 wide bodied Centroliner, I saw a site calling it NeoMAN A34, anyone heard of this weird labelling before?

i think it was because the chassis was the original neoplan one so they kept the name, while KMB's APM1 was a MAN chassis so they added MAN

i have a question too, any reason why did KMB switched its fleet numbering system?

before buses with different bodies of the same length would have the same fleet prefix like:

ATR(ALX/DM bodies)

ATS(ALX/DM)

3ASV(ALX/Volgren)

3N(ALX/DM)

now with the B9s each body has its own unique fleet number

AVD(Volgren)

AVBW(Wright)

AVBE(Transbus)

i think it was because the chassis was the original neoplan one so they kept the name, while KMB's APM1 was a MAN chassis so they added MAN

i have a question too, any reason why did KMB switched its fleet numbering system?

before buses with different bodies of the same length would have the same fleet prefix like:

ATR(ALX/DM bodies)

ATS(ALX/DM)

3ASV(ALX/Volgren)

3N(ALX/DM)

now with the B9s each body has its own unique fleet number

AVD(Volgren)

AVBW(Wright)

AVBE(Transbus)

May be KMB isn't considering any B9 11m version....

• 1 month later...

Whoa, I see this thread's been pushed very bottom now so it's time to revive it!

Anyone know when NWFB's Enviro 500s are coming?

Besides the current B9TL E500 buses and the K95UD, is KMB getting anything else?

And what about CTB, they're the ones with the oldest bus fleet, shouldn't they be getting anything new anytime soon?

Also heard KCR is getting Enviro 200s next year?

Whoa, I see this thread's been pushed very bottom now so it's time to revive it!

Anyone know when NWFB's Enviro 500s are coming?

Besides the current B9TL E500 buses and the K95UD, is KMB getting anything else?

And what about CTB, they're the ones with the oldest bus fleet, shouldn't they be getting anything new anytime soon?

Also heard KCR is getting Enviro 200s next year?

NWFB's Enviro 500 is coming this year (according to the TV news). Does this mean NWFB will retire some of the ex-CMB buses such as Dennis Condor (air conditioning ones).

• 4 weeks later...

I was visiting Gakei's KMB site and noticed the K95UD is in service as of late Aug 2007.

Anyone know if ASU2-3 are there as well?

And why do they always test the special buses on route 104?

By the way, I heard KCR is getting some Enviro 200s. They are the first to be delivered outside of Europe I heard. Will be interesting to see them!

I was visiting Gakei's KMB site and noticed the K95UD is in service as of late Aug 2007.Anyone know if ASU2-3 are there as well?And why do they always test the special buses on route 104?
Apparently just only ASU2, there are no ASU3~~104 is the testing route for all buses with the engine have Euro 4 standard~~
NWFB's Enviro 500 is coming this year (according to the TV news). Does this mean NWFB will retire some of the ex-CMB buses such as Dennis Condor (air conditioning ones).
There are few of them were already deliveried to NWFB, but those Enviro 500 will share with Citybus also due to both Citybus and NWFB don't have enough buses for it~~And yes, they'll replace some of the ex- CMB Dennis Condor and Leyland Olympian and Citybus's Olympian 12m~~

Apparently just only ASU2, there are no ASU3~~104 is the testing route for all buses with the engine have Euro 4 standard~~There are few of them were already deliveried to NWFB, but those Enviro 500 will share with Citybus also due to both Citybus and NWFB don't have enough buses for it~~And yes, they'll replace some of the ex- CMB Dennis Condor and Leyland Olympian and Citybus's Olympian 12m~~

then why was AVD1 not tested on 104?

• 1 month later...

Adrian was kind enough to inform me CityBus and KCR (now MTR) have received their first Enviro 500 12m with Euro IV engines (ISM-E most likely). It's only a matter of time before NWFB gets their Enviro 500s and KCR gets the Enviro 200s. CTB has an order of 10 E500s so far I heard. Seems like the CTB E500s will use the new orange LED destination signs while the KCR ones continue with the traditional flip dot green signs. IIRC, KMB's K95UD uses the LCD green signs. So much variety!

It's about time since most systems except KMB last bought buses in 2001-02.

http://www.orientalmodelbuses.co.uk/Xtra/HK-CTB-8100.htm

http://www.orientalmodelbuses.co.uk/Xtra/HK-MTR-enviro.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a video of the new CTB E500 buses in operation.

It has the Cityflyer-type automated announcements; unlike the ones on the KMB buses which flashes the next stop, these ones scroll the next stop name across the display. The display also seems to be longer from left to right and it also makes a nice musical tone right before each announcement.

Anyone know why ramps on LF double deckers are much shorter than single deckers?

• 4 weeks later...