Transit in Hong Kong

Orion V

KMB is ordering Four 12.8 meter (42 feet) double decker buses, it is the longest in Hong Kong. Carrying 146 passengers. Two different models, 2 each: Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Turbo and Volvo B9TL.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?we_cat=4&art_id=145985&sid=42376830&con_type=1&d_str=20140603&fc=2

KMB info: http://www.kmb.hk/en/news/press/archives/news201406022036.html

Despite the additional carriage, it only does minimal in crowding alleviation during rush hours

KMB is ordering Four 12.8 meter (42 feet) double decker buses, it is the longest in Hong Kong. Carrying 146 passengers. Two different models, 2 each: Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Turbo and Volvo B9TL.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?we_cat=4&art_id=145985&sid=42376830&con_type=1&d_str=20140603&fc=2

KMB info: http://www.kmb.hk/en/news/press/archives/news201406022036.html

From the video, they compared it to an older model which has 3+2 forward facing seats; which model is that? I can't remember seeing any KMB buses with that type of configuration.

all non a/c buses had them on the upper deck, as well as AL class, and early AV, 3AV, AD and ADS

The non A/C buses were narrower than the E500s and B9TLs, how can they fit 3x2 forward facing seats? Is that why they stopped doing this configuration because it's just too damn narrow?

I remember taking one of those dragons on 31M back in 2011. I'm not quite sure how to tell the fleet numbers in Hong Kong buses but the licence plate was JC 1714. I wonder if you can find out what bus was that

ADS202

For KMB buses it is located on the front windshield next to the depot logo, (K,L,S,U), from the inside only the license plate is displayed.

For NWFB and CTB it is displayed both inside and outside

Where in HK is the best place to see the Dennis Dragons? Which MTR stop and do they only run on weekdays during rush hours?

Look here http://1005.idv.hk/index.php?page=10&co=K the Dragons for KMB are 3AD, AD, and ADS

278X

80M

2E

86A

89D

80X

Where in HK is the best place to see the Dennis Dragons? Which MTR stop and do they only run on weekdays during rush hours?

278X

80M

2E

86A

89D

80X

Judging from that list they look to be dominant in the Sha Tin District, so your best bet would be Sha Tin Station on the East Rail Line.

And the Dragons run any time. There isn't exactly a "rush hour" in HK, the buses will always be relatively full no matter what time of day, even on weekends.

• 1 month later...

Just back from Hong Kong, there are quite a number of KMB Dragon's out there, and they are on routes anytime during the day, especially the ones that are assigned to certain routes. The 278X definitely has a fair number of the 12m ones, the 73X does as well. I was in Tsuen Wan, Sha Tin and Sheung Shui and you can see a good number of them on a number of routes of any of those stations.

For the NWFB Dragon's. they are more spread out, but anywhere in the southern districts (or from their terminus in Central) would be a good bet. There are also a couple usually on the eastern runs (81, 82, 694) but those are not as frequent.

Here is also a picture of KMB's newest 12m Volvo B9TL Wright Gemini 2 AVBWU367 on it's assigned route 116.

SZ5712.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Air-conditioned

Volvo

Bodied

Wright

U Euro

AVW>AVBW>AVBWU

There is also ATENU, 3ATENU, 3AVBWU, AVBWS

Something i don't get is that some buses different bodies have different fleet numbers, while others that have different bodies have the same.

B9TLs

AVD: Volgren

AVBE: Enviro/Transbus

AVBW: Wright

Super Volvo Olympians

3ASV: Alexander/Volgren

AVW: Wright

Dennis Trident:

ATR: Alexander and Duple Metsec

ATS: Alexander and Duple Metsec

MAN 24.310

AMN: Berkhof and Volgren

Dennis Darts:

AA: Carlye, Duple Metsec. Northern Countries, Plaxton Pointer, there is also a longer Dart with a plaxton body that is longer.

Air-conditioned

Volvo

Bodied

Wright

U Euro

AVW>AVBW>AVBWU

There is also ATENU, 3ATENU, 3AVBWU, AVBWS

Something i don't get is that some buses different bodies have different fleet numbers, while others that have different bodies have the same.

B9TLs

AVD: Volgren

AVBE: Enviro/Transbus

AVBW: Wright

Super Volvo Olympians

3ASV: Alexander/Volgren

AVW: Wright

Dennis Trident:

ATR: Alexander and Duple Metsec

ATS: Alexander and Duple Metsec

MAN 24.310

AMN: Berkhof and Volgren

Dennis Darts:

AA: Carlye, Duple Metsec. Northern Countries, Plaxton Pointer, there is also a longer Dart with a plaxton body that is longer.

I know what the codes mean, just surprised at our long they have become.

When I first arrived in Hong Kong I rode buses with codes with just one letter, like an A, D, G, L, or N. The A's were still in the conductor livery with yellow stripes across the front of the bus.

Towards the end I got to see buses with codes like VMD, BL, 3BL, and so on.

Also I can remember seeing really old narrow CMB buses on the hill routes, can't remember if I ever rode one but as I lived in Ho Man Tin in Kowloon I didn't ride CMB that often.

• 1 month later...

MTR Island Line has been extended west to Kennedy Town as of this morning, although Sai Ying Pun Station won't open until early next year.

It's gonna be awkward hearing "The train to Kennedy Town is arriving, please let passengers exit first" when riding the Island Line next time I'm in Hong Kong, since I've been so accustomed to hearing Sheung Wan as the last station.

MTR Island Line has been extended west to Kennedy Town as of this morning, although Sai Ying Pun Station won't open until early next year.

It's gonna be awkward hearing "The train to Kennedy Town is arriving, please let passengers exit first" when riding the Island Line next time I'm in Hong Kong, since I've been so accustomed to hearing Sheung Wan as the last station.

Same here, that and seeing Sheung Wan station full of people piling onto the trains will be a new sight to see.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...