Transit in Hong Kong

Orion V

The 2nd video should be a Volvo B9TL, not Super Olympian.

What did you use to record such a long video?

Even though they are B9TL, they are still regarded as Volvo Olympian according to Volvo...

CTB Route 6

Take a look at this video; halfway through, notice people start paying the bus fare when they get OFF the bus instead of going on. I thought all passengers are required to pay the fare when they board?

Also, after the mountain, the fare reduces from $7.9 to $4.6, so if the passengers got on near the initially stop and didn't pay, they pay when they get off after the mountain, that means the whole ride was $4.6? I'm lost! :lol:

Rt. 6 and other South Island routes have similar payment system. People have to pay full fare when they board the bus, i.e, $7.9. However, if they are getting off along the mountain area from Wan Chai to Repulse Bay, they'll need to present their Octopus card again in order to get a discount, i.e. $4.6 for their entire ride. After Repulse Bay till Stanley, you won't get the discount any more...

Hope this helps,

GP

• 2 weeks later...

I see I need to revive this thread again, lol. I heard that Volvo calls theri B9TL buses Olympian SLF. Can anyone confirm this? Is it like B10T = Olympian, B10TL = Super Olympian and now B9TL = Olympian SLF?

I see I need to revive this thread again, lol. I heard that Volvo calls theri B9TL buses Olympian SLF. Can anyone confirm this? Is it like B10T = Olympian, B10TL = Super Olympian and now B9TL = Olympian SLF?

SLF = Super Low Floor, it's not like the "SLF" as in Thomas SLF230 lol :ph34r:

Dave

How often do AV (accessible violation) take place in HK? I don't see accessible routes on CTB/NWFB sites so I take it only KMB takes that seriously. I remember seeing a HF A/C KMB bus on 171 a few months ago when it's designated "Low Floor Service". And yes I know 171 is a shared route so CTB will use its crap HF buses on it since on CTB's site it's not designated accessible but on KMB's site, it is.

I'm not sure how often high floor buses end up on low floor designated routes in Hong Kong. But keep in mind that a huge chunk of the KMB and Citybus fleets are made of high floor buses.

These so called violations are going to happen. Though one should apply some logic and look at it this way. There are tons of routes where buses come 15 mins or less from the start of service early morning to end of service late night. In fact midday service frequences of 5-10 mins is not uncommon at all. If its not low floor then big deal, wait for the next bus that is often less then 10 mins away if not already in sight down the street.

If one with adequete knowledge of the KMB fleet were to take a look at the number of routes KMB designates are low floor http://www.kmb.hk/eng/search/busfare.pdf

one should be able to figure out that not all these routes are actually 100% low floor and maybe een only every other bus on the route. Simply put KMB simply lacks the fleet resources to make so many routes 100% low floor.

Also keep in mind that in HK/China the push for accesiable services was historically much weaker then here in North America. So there is some lagging behind for sure, particularly in China, getting around in a wheelchair can be extremely difficult in many cities in mainland China. Hong Kong having a more western influence, particularly under British rule is more accomadating, but still lags far behind the US and Canada.

The way KMB works is quite different from most systems in North America. First of all, the buses are signed to specific routes...........so, if they are mechanically healthy, you will always see the same bus on the same route, same run! Meanwhile, there's a back-up fleet that supports the operation in case of buses breaking down. However, from time to time, you would see unusal sightings in which a bus that is assigned to a specific route is seen operating on another route (that it is not assigned to). Normally, accessible buses are assigned to urban "mainstream" routes, while the high-floor buses are assigned to routes that go to suburban areas or industrial areas with lower population density (and lower ridership).

However, NWFB and Citybus do not operate under this system - the way they work is pretty much the same as we do in North America - buses assigned to specific depots, and operate freely on any routes that belong to the depot. Accessible buses are dominant over high-floor buses within the NWFB fleet; however, Citybus still runs a bunch of high-floor buses. Since NWFB and Citybus both operate services on the Hong Kong Island, it wouldn't be a big deal as you can ride on NWFB routes, and avoid Citybus routes; meanwhile, most tunnel bus routes are shared by KMB and Citybus........therefore, you can ride on KMB buses and avoid the non-accessible buses operated by Citybus. Airport Service (City-Flyer) is 100% accessible.

Dave

Normally, accessible buses are assigned to urban "mainstream" routes, while the high-floor buses are assigned to routes that go to suburban areas or industrial areas with lower population density (and lower ridership).

Dave

While that is true, KMB does seem to be moving towards making as many routes low floor as they can. If you take a look at the link I provided in the previous post, you will see that most routes are low floor. So its not just the urban busier routes anymore. As more and more low floors are placed into service, of course you'll see more low floors on all sorts of routes. In fact I noticed one of the routes I remember riding several times, 85K is now low floor. Though in the summer of 2004 and 2005 when I rode this route multiple times, it was always Dennis Dragons operating the route. Though now I have seen photos of low floors on this route now. So again a sign of the changing times. This route 85K is essentially a feeder route between the residential community of Heng On and Sha Tin KCR Station/Sha Tin New Town Plazza, the ride is only like 25 mins end to end,.

I'm not sure how often high floor buses end up on low floor designated routes in Hong Kong. But keep in mind that a huge chunk of the KMB and Citybus fleets are made of high floor buses.

These so called violations are going to happen. Though one should apply some logic and look at it this way. There are tons of routes where buses come 15 mins or less from the start of service early morning to end of service late night. In fact midday service frequences of 5-10 mins is not uncommon at all. If its not low floor then big deal, wait for the next bus that is often less then 10 mins away if not already in sight down the street.

If one with adequete knowledge of the KMB fleet were to take a look at the number of routes KMB designates are low floor http://www.kmb.hk/eng/search/busfare.pdf

one should be able to figure out that not all these routes are actually 100% low floor and maybe een only every other bus on the route. Simply put KMB simply lacks the fleet resources to make so many routes 100% low floor.

Also keep in mind that in HK/China the push for accesiable services was historically much weaker then here in North America. So there is some lagging behind for sure, particularly in China, getting around in a wheelchair can be extremely difficult in many cities in mainland China. Hong Kong having a more western influence, particularly under British rule is more accomadating, but still lags far behind the US and Canada.

Well I know for sure the split routes on CTB/NWFB's behalf rarely gets LF while KMB does a good job at it. Also, KMB posted their split routes to be LF while the other 2 companies did not so it's fair to say the split routes are 50% accessible and since CTB/NWFB didn't advertise as accessible, it's not a violation; in fact they don't have any designated LF routes except the Cityflyer and E** routes. Which is why my question was more oriented towards KMB.

Anyone have the powertrain for KMB's new K95UD? I can't find that anywhere.

Edited by Orion V Exp

Here's some more questions to revive this thread:

Now that it's 5 years since the last time CTB/NWFB bought new buses, I wonder what type of buses they'll buy? Their favorite Trident is out of production which leads me to think they'll get the Enviro 500 since it is a Dennis product and we all know how much CTB loves Dennis!

Anyone know if the KMB ATE series are finished with the last being ATE271? They renamed ATE257 to ATEU1 for the Euro IV Engine so does that mean future AlexDennis Enviro 500s will be ATEUs?

Is KMB finished with ordering 10.6m or <12m double decker buses and single decker buses? No future orders foreseen.

NWFB recently bought Enviro 500s, so maybe CTB might follow, since they are basicly the same company. but KMB doesn't have 11m buses to replace the current ones, they are all either 12m or 10.6m. KMB might also need to replace the Mitsubishi or maybe the darts or Lances with enviro 200s

NWFB recently bought Enviro 500s, so maybe CTB might follow, since they are basicly the same company. but KMB doesn't have 11m buses to replace the current ones, they are all either 12m or 10.6m. KMB might also need to replace the Mitsubishi or maybe the darts or Lances with enviro 200s

Hmmm, know anywhere where one would be able to see pics of NWFB Enviro 500's?

Hmmm, know anywhere where one would be able to see pics of NWFB Enviro 500's?

they haven't been delivered

would kinda look like that, except the rear destionation sign, and front and rear lights

_NWFB_KMB_Air_Con_Dennis_Enviro_Transbus_12m_Type_1.bmp

they haven't been delivered

would kinda look like that, except the rear destionation sign, and front and rear lights

Thanks, may I suggest next time you upload something in jpeg instead of bmp, it took me a long time to d/l it since I'm using a slow connection. Bmp just wastes space whereas jpeg format shows the same quality of pics. Just a suggestion.

BTW, so is it confirm the E500s will be numbered in the 1800s?

I found out from James today that the 11m non A/C KMB Leyland Olympian and Dennis Dragons are 2452mm wide (as oopose to the current 2500mm standard and newer 2550mm width buses). 2452mm is approximately 96in wide which is probably why those Dragon/Olympians look so long and narrow and with 2 by 3 seats, imagine the aisle! The 11m Metrobuses are 2500mm wide.

KMB_Leyland_Olympian_WA_36ft_2_.jpg

Anyways, here's my question; are all Olympian/Dragon/Condors have this narrow width? Even the newer A/C ones?

Edited by Orion V Exp

Thanks, may I suggest next time you upload something in jpeg instead of bmp, it took me a long time to d/l it since I'm using a slow connection. Bmp just wastes space whereas jpeg format shows the same quality of pics. Just a suggestion.

BTW, so is it confirm the E500s will be numbered in the 1800s?

not confirmed yet. they might be 7000 or 8000, as the tridents with different body types have different fleet numbers

I found out from James today that the 11m non A/C KMB Leyland Olympian and Dennis Dragons are 2452mm wide (as oopose to the current 2500mm standard and newer 2550mm width buses). 2452mm is approximately 96in wide which is probably why those Dragon/Olympians look so long and narrow and with 2 by 3 seats, imagine the aisle! The 11m Metrobuses are 2500mm wide.

KMB_Leyland_Olympian_WA_36ft_2_.jpg

Anyways, here's my question; are all Olympian/Dragon/Condors have this narrow width? Even the newer A/C ones?

The new AC Olympian/Dragons/Condors have wider aisle.

• 1 month later...

This topic needs to be updated! Got a few questions for HK fans here.

I've been wondering this for a while; how come high floor buses in HK generally have 2 steps when boarding/exiting with an extra step climbing to the seats on the lower floor whereas in NA, high floor buses have 3 boarding/exiting steps? This gives the public an image that high floor buses in NA are much higher than in HK as well as the fact that LF and HF buses in HK ain't that much different since most people tend to forgot there's only 1 extra step in HK HF buses.

Why can't NA HF buses design like the HK ones as to ease the boarding/exiting for seniors?

IIRC, the non A/C HF buses in HK have 3 boarding/exiting steps with no steps to the seats. Which models were these and what was the reason they changed to 2 board/exit steps in the A/C HF buses?

Does ALL of the above apply to HK single decker buses as well?

I don't think there is really any reason as to why there are differences in number of steps in the different buses. Its just that many buses that run in Hong Kong currently and in the past are based on European designs and thats just how european high floor buses are. North American designs run in North America nad they simply use a different design. So I'm not sure there really is any insightful answer to your question.

Many high floor non-AC buses have the two step entry, particularly later model ones. The Dennis Condor/Dragon, Leyland/Volvo Olympian and MCW Metrobus all have two steps at the doors.

After all there is little difference between the AC and Non-AC Dennis Dragon/Condor and Leyland/Volvo Olympian. Essentially the same buses chassis wise.

I don't think there is really any reason as to why there are differences in number of steps in the different buses. Its just that many buses that run in Hong Kong currently and in the past are based on European designs and thats just how european high floor buses are. North American designs run in North America nad they simply use a different design. So I'm not sure there really is any insightful answer to your question.

Many high floor non-AC buses have the two step entry, particularly later model ones. The Dennis Condor/Dragon, Leyland/Volvo Olympian and MCW Metrobus all have two steps at the doors.

After all there is little difference between the AC and Non-AC Dennis Dragon/Condor and Leyland/Volvo Olympian. Essentially the same buses chassis wise.

That means the pre-12m era double decker buses have 3 steps at the doors. I know I've seen some old ones with 3 steps though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2007 updates for LWB; just arrived! It seems this is their first order for the Volvo Olympian SLF B9TL with Alexander Dennis bodies. Powertrain most likely D9C/6HP592C and being part of KMB, they have inherited the yearly logos "2007".

Not sure if they have Euro IV though since the only Euro IV buses in KMB are ASU1-3 and ATUE1 and not any Volvo products so far.

LWB Olympian SLFs

2007 updates for LWB; just arrived! It seems this is their first order for the Volvo Olympian SLF B9TL with Alexander Dennis bodies. Powertrain most likely D9C/6HP592C and being part of KMB, they have inherited the yearly logos "2007".

Not sure if they have Euro IV though since the only Euro IV buses in KMB are ASU1-3 and ATUE1 and not any Volvo products so far.

LWB Olympian SLFs

they are Volvo B9TL with transbus bodis

ATEU1, AVD1, (ASU1?) are Euro IV buses,

AVD1 is a Volvo B9TL with Volgren body

ASU2 and 3 have yet to be seen, so you can assume they have not been made, ASU1 has yet to run normal routes