Transit in Hong Kong

Orion V

It is of great sadness that I got word that one of the best HK Transit sites GaKei has ceased updates as of Dec 31 2007. :)

www.gakei.com

I thought he only cease updates for photo of the week.

I believe there is a special loading dock for loading people with physical disabilities. That is probably why the ramp is shorter than single decker bues in North America.

• 3 weeks later...
Did the Scania K95UD changed its name to K310UD?

http://www.80mbusmodel.com/eshop/photos/DW10801.jpg

I've seen this name referenced at other places.

I've seen that too. When the bus was displayed, the information sheet has stated the chassis model as K95UD, however it seems Scania simply refers to the model as the KUD. I suppose the engine hp was added to be more distinct in the model.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been wondering, why do HK Bus companies order from so many different companies? Do they want fast deliveries so one manufacterer cannot possibly make the required amount of buses in a certain timeframe?

The parts inventory must be crazy for fleets like KMB.

I've been wondering, why do HK Bus companies order from so many different companies? Do they want fast deliveries so one manufacterer cannot possibly make the required amount of buses in a certain timeframe?

The parts inventory must be crazy for fleets like KMB.

Maybe. One thing for sure is that the Ministry of Transportation in Hong Kong has set a quota on the number of a certain bus model each public transit company can operate.

Maybe. One thing for sure is that the Ministry of Transportation in Hong Kong has set a quota on the number of a certain bus model each public transit company can operate.

I wish our government would do that. x amount of NFI buses only, y amount of OBI buses only, and z amount of NBC buses only. If you want more, buy from another company and keep the fleets diverse! :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching this and noticed this bus has luggage racks but since it's been taken off route A11 to be used on B3, does that mean they took the luggage racks out?

Also, anyone know if the current B9TL KMB is getting are Euro IV? They still have continous delivery of them from last year up to 2008.

I was watching this and noticed this bus has luggage racks but since it's been taken off route A11 to be used on B3, does that mean they took the luggage racks out?

Also, anyone know if the current B9TL KMB is getting are Euro IV? They still have continous delivery of them from last year up to 2008.

I don't see the newer B9TL Enviro 500s having the Euro IV logo but that doesn't mean they don't have it.

You're better off asking HK questions in another thread where there are more HK transit fans than here.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Wow, this thread is dead.

Any new purchases after those Enviro 500s?

When are the Enviro 200s coming?

KCRC E200 901 and 902 are already in revenue service since the beginning of September, with more being prepared at KCRC Tuen Mun Depot right now.

NWFB / CTB are waiting for 38 Enviro 500s - 18 for Citybus "Cityflyer" Airport service, these are 12m Enviro 500s, while NWFB is waiting for 20 11m Enviro 500s. Interesting note is that these buses will have redesigned Enviro 500 body, with a brand new front / end, and the front is confirmed to be "transplanted" from the Enviro 400, while it is not yet known whether what would the rear end looks like. On the other hand, linear staircase will not be built on these buses, they are going back to the old-school spiral staircase. The chassis are manufactured in UK, shipped to Hong Kong, and the body will be assembled in mainland China. The chassis for the 12m Enviro 500s are being delivered as we speak. Just an idea of what they look like:

e4_sp.jpg

KMB recently placed an order for 30 new single decker buses, rumours has it that they are either Scania K230UD or Scania K270UD. 9 new double-deckers, they are confirmed to be Dennis Enviro 500 (Euro IV)..........these buses are expected to be delivered by late-2008 or early-2009.

Long Win bus placed an order for 7 new double-deckers, those will be delivered by end of 2008, they are Dennis Enviro 500 as well.

Dave

KCRC E200 901 and 902 are already in revenue service since the beginning of September, with more being prepared at KCRC Tuen Mun Depot right now.

NWFB / CTB are waiting for 38 Enviro 500s - 18 for Citybus "Cityflyer" Airport service, these are 12m Enviro 500s, while NWFB is waiting for 20 11m Enviro 500s. Interesting note is that these buses will have redesigned Enviro 500 body, with a brand new front / end, and the front is confirmed to be "transplanted" from the Enviro 400, while it is not yet known whether what would the rear end looks like. On the other hand, linear staircase will not be built on these buses, they are going back to the old-school spiral staircase. The chassis are manufactured in UK, shipped to Hong Kong, and the body will be assembled in mainland China. The chassis for the 12m Enviro 500s are being delivered as we speak. Just an idea of what they look like:

e4_sp.jpg

KMB recently placed an order for 30 new single decker buses, rumours has it that they are either Scania K230UD or Scania K270UD. 9 new double-deckers, they are confirmed to be Dennis Enviro 500 (Euro IV)..........these buses are expected to be delivered by late-2008 or early-2009.

Long Win bus placed an order for 7 new double-deckers, those will be delivered by end of 2008, they are Dennis Enviro 500 as well.

Dave

Wow, nice! Did you get all that info a few months ago in HK? Or is it from some site.

Is the modified Enviro 500 front standard on all new Enviro 500s? If so, that could be interesting.

It's probably similar to CityBus' Dennis Dragons that have DM bodies but with teh Alexander Type R fronts. HK transit order is pretty weird sometimes when it comes to order bubt I like it since they have now created another unique looking bus soon to be on the HK roads! Unlike Canada and their stupid standardization BS.

It's probably similar to CityBus' Dennis Dragons that have DM bodies but with teh Alexander Type R fronts. HK transit order is pretty weird sometimes when it comes to order bubt I like it since they have now created another unique looking bus soon to be on the HK roads! Unlike Canada and their stupid standardization BS.

the ministry of Transportation in Hong kong has a policy in place to prevent standardization. From a company point of view, it can be a blessing (economies of scale, fewer parts to store). It can be a curse (i.e. reliability issue).

the ministry of Transportation in Hong kong has a policy in place to prevent standardization. From a company point of view, it can be a blessing (economies of scale, fewer parts to store). It can be a curse (i.e. reliability issue).

Where did you hear that?

Wow, nice! Did you get all that info a few months ago in HK? Or is it from some site.

Got these info from a chinese forum dedicated to Hong Kong transit........visit www.hkbf.org or www.hkitalk.net if you're interested, that's if you know Chinese!

It's not known whether this is the standard design for future Enviro 500s from now on.....in fact, the drawings I have shown are merely are merely artistic views of what they might look like, drawn by an HK transit fan.

Dave

Got these info from a chinese forum dedicated to Hong Kong transit........visit www.hkbf.org or www.hkitalk.net if you're interested, that's if you know Chinese!

It's not known whether this is the standard design for future Enviro 500s from now on.....in fact, the drawings I have shown are merely are merely artistic views of what they might look like, drawn by an HK transit fan.

Dave

Thanks for the info! There is a strong possibility that the Enviro 500 may get that as the standard design. The Enviro 300 was redesigned to match the Enviro200Dart and Enviro400 not to long ago, so ADL might want the Enviro line to resemble each other.

Where did you hear that?

heard it from somebody. A notable example is ex-City bus Mann double decker. City Bus originally ordered like 20 or something Man double decker buses. The purchaser (probably on drugs) forgot they hit the quota on the number Man buses they can purchase. As a result most of them ended up with KMB while one ended up with Discovery Bay or something like that.

heard it from somebody. A notable example is ex-City bus Mann double decker. City Bus originally ordered like 20 or something Man double decker buses. The purchaser (probably on drugs) forgot they hit the quota on the number Man buses they can purchase. As a result most of them ended up with KMB while one ended up with Discovery Bay or something like that.

I thought the reason why MAN double-deckers didn't end up with Citybus in the end was because of the filled quota restricted by the DOT of HK on the maximum size of their fleet of buses as a whole............I don't think they have set restrictions on the quantity of particular makes / models of buses owned by bus companies; after all, transit agencies in Hong Kong are more closely compared to profitable mega-billion-dollars business co-operation as opposed to the way Canadian transit agencies are operated by government funding / "money-forfeiting operation". I'll try to confirm with someone and post my discoveries.

EDIT - Yes, fleet size is the explanation as to why the MAN deckers ended up with KMB. Each bus company in Hong Kong have restricted fleet sizes, and I'll list them: KMB is ~4000, Citybus is ~600, NWFB is 720.

Dave

I thought the reason why MAN double-deckers didn't end up with Citybus in the end was because of the filled quota restricted by the DOT of HK on the maximum size of their fleet of buses as a whole............I don't think they have set restrictions on the quantity of particular makes / models of buses owned by bus companies; after all, transit agencies in Hong Kong are more closely compared to profitable mega-billion-dollars business co-operation as opposed to the way Canadian transit agencies are operated by government funding / "money-forfeiting operation". I'll try to confirm with someone and post my discoveries.

EDIT - Yes, fleet size is the explanation as to why the MAN deckers ended up with KMB. Each bus company in Hong Kong have restricted fleet sizes, and I'll list them: KMB is ~4000, Citybus is ~600, NWFB is 720.

Dave

IIRC, currently, KMB has 4300 buses while NWFB is 700 and CTB is 1100.

• 1 month later...