Santa Monica Big Blue Bus

Nabinut

quick respose from LAPD, SMPD, CHP, LASD and SMC PD prevented more deaths and injuries

It helped that the President was in Santa Monica at the same time as their was a massive law enforcement presence when this went down.

It helped that the President was in Santa Monica at the same time as their was a massive law enforcement presence when this went down.

Most of that law enforcement would have stayed with the President during the event. Only the enforcement presence that would have been on traffic blocking duty would have moved from the other areas.

Question about the picture, why is the engine hood on the bus open? Is not like the bus broke down or anything... it was a shooting...!

The operator may have opened it after pulling over to help indicate that bus was involved in an emergency so other motorists would not stop behind it waiting for it to move. Motorists don't always notice the hazard lights flashing, so this would help more in showing others that the bus is involved in a situation that it may not move for some time.

The operator may have opened it after pulling over to help indicate that bus was involved in an emergency so other motorists would not stop behind it waiting for it to move. Motorists don't always notice the hazard lights flashing, so this would help more in showing others that the bus is involved in a situation that it may not move for some time.

It could also have been opened by police doing standard safety sweep and searches for explosives. There was a lot of confusion early on Friday due to multiple crime scenes and heightened alert since President Obama was in town only 2 miles away from the shooting rampage. The police that responded to the scene probably conducted a sweep of the bus and opened the engine cover.

I can't find any good photos online but the news footage showed extensive damage to the front windshield and right side windows and doors - lots of bullet holes and a few shattered glass.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

1307 to 1311 entered service as of past weekend. Seems like BBB is doing 1-for-1 retirement with the Gilligs coming in and exact same number of D40LF leaving every week.

I rode on bus 1336 last week so they are more than half way through receiving their order of 58 Gillig BRT.

However, BBB must have accelerated the retirement of D40LF because I didn't see one at all last week in service.

And just as a side note, the 2002 NABI 40LFW are in terrible shape... I see one broken down on the side of the road almost everyday and they make all kinds of rattling noises.

Here is a photo of 5180, taken in Hershey, PA on June 1 at the annual "Spring Fling" at the Museum of Bus Transportation. It had only arrived at MOBT the previous day after being driven across the country.

IIRC, 5180 was the last Fishbowl built in North America. BBB had been keeping it as a historic bus, but I guess they changed their mind. Good to know that it will still be preserved :)

Surprised to still see the California Exempt plate on the front. I wonder if their is a regular plate on the back and they just neglected to remove the front plate. I know that Pennsylvania doesn't have a front license plate (unless that has changed recently), so maybe it doesn't matter. Living in Florida (another non-front plate state), I often see cars with say a California plate on the front and a Florida plate in back. Supposedly, a cop could write someone up for that, but I think they don't bother for the most part.

IIRC, 5180 was the last Fishbowl built in North America. BBB had been keeping it as a historic bus, but I guess they changed their mind. Good to know that it will still be preserved :)

Surprised to still see the California Exempt plate on the front. I wonder if their is a regular plate on the back and they just neglected to remove the front plate. I know that Pennsylvania doesn't have a front license plate (unless that has changed recently), so maybe it doesn't matter. Living in Florida (another non-front plate state), I often see cars with say a California plate on the front and a Florida plate in back. Supposedly, a cop could write someone up for that, but I think they don't bother for the most part.

Pennsylvania is still rear only plate state.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pennsylvania is a rear-plate only state, however a handful of state-owned autos (ie. Pennsylvania State Police, most state-owned colleges and other state agencies) have a front "PA-xxxxx" or "xxxxx-PA" official tag.

• 2 weeks later...

It was built in St-Eustache, QC in the same plant where Nova Bus is today.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, the 5 gasoline hybrid 30 ft Eldorado bus have all been converted to CNG and are back in the fleet with new standard paint color - no more "mini blue" color scheme.

That is not true. I just saw 2901 today which has been converted to CNG and in the Mini Blue Scheme on the Crosstown line 41.

That is not true. I just saw 2901 today which has been converted to CNG and in the Mini Blue Scheme on the Crosstown line 41.

I stand corrected. I saw a bus today that was in the darker blue color used for mini blue, but the decals have been changed to big blue bus similar to how the rapid buses were re-branded.