Nabinut

Long Beach Transit (California)

Board Meeting next Monday Aug 26. More updates on the BYD project and the new 118 bus purchase. Looking through this seems like the BYD bus at Altoona had some structural issues. It had to be repaired and the structural testing started over. Looks like the whole project is delayed now and may not be fully out in revenue service till Early 2015 now.

http://longbeach.granicus.com/DocumentViewer.php?file=longbeach_8d28e239de38c09256af5748fe02eddb.pdf&view=1

Board Meeting next Monday Aug 26. More updates on the BYD project and the new 118 bus purchase. Looking through this seems like the BYD bus at Altoona had some structural issues. It had to be repaired and the structural testing started over. Looks like the whole project is delayed now and may not be fully out in revenue service till Early 2015 now.

http://longbeach.gra...eddb.pdf&view=1

Thanks for sharing Shakey. Its good reading on the electric bus project. LBT appears to be taking this very seriously and reviewing everything carefully. There were bad welds on the China-built Altoona bus. They were fixed and the testing will start over. In addition, the first US built bus will be Altoona tested and buses 2-10 will not be permitted until that pilot bus has finished Altoona testing.

I was looking up at the LBT roster, and the 1996 D40LF (9600's) are on the active list. I believe they should be moved to retired list since these buses have retired nearly a year ago. Could someone update the roster please? Thanks.

I was looking up at the LBT roster, and the 1996 D40LF (9600's) are on the active list. I believe they should be moved to retired list since these buses have retired nearly a year ago. Could someone update the roster please? Thanks.

The whole wiki needs some work, routes are old and a lot of info is outdated.

Maybe if a few more people were given editing privileges, then that might get some of those pages updated.

Maybe if a few more people were given editing privileges, then that might get some of those pages updated.

Oops, my bad. I have some free time this week, so expect some changes...

LBT getting 8 new 40ft Gillig BRT PLus buses next year and 13 new New Flyer XN 60's as well next year.

http://longbeach.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1663117&GUID=34D0C681-B1E4-4455-9883-FEB67A50B8CB

They could also be NABI 60BRT's :P

Nice to see you around again, Ramirez

He is always on Facebook, he post great pics daily!

Yep... I should consider a picture hosting website.

They could also be NABI 60BRT's

Yep... I should consider a picture hosting website.

I suppose they could be Nabi 60 BRT's as it only mention from New Flyer but I would think they would say Nabi LLC as well. We should know once they sign the contact for sure though and New Flyer does a release on their web site. Hold out on the web site, I have something in the works along that line.

Hopefully it's NABI 60 BRTs. Kinda getting tired of Gillig BRTs and Xcelsiors everywhere...

Although to be honest, I really just want to see a 60-BRT in LBT colors more than anything.

I'm hoping it is XN60 just because we don't have any in LA County.

But NABI 60 BRT will still be a good addition for LBT just like it is a good choice for BBB. There is a lot of operational experience with NABI 60 BRT in LA County so I can see LBT leaning towards that one.

Hopefully it's NABI 60 BRTs. Kinda getting tired of Gillig BRTs and Xcelsiors everywhere...

Although to be honest, I really just want to see a 60-BRT in LBT colors more than anything.

I'm hoping it is XN60 just because we don't have any in LA County.

But NABI 60 BRT will still be a good addition for LBT just like it is a good choice for BBB. There is a lot of operational experience with NABI 60 BRT in LA County so I can see LBT leaning towards that one.

LBT just approved 2 contracts. First with Gillig for 8 - 40 (42) foot coaches. Specs will be the same as the last order. Contract for that one is just over $4.5m. The other one is with New Flyer for 13 - 60 foot Excelsior CNG's with Cummins engines. They were the only company to bid on that RFP. Contract is for just over $12.5m.

They are having some major problems now with the BYD electric bus monies from the feds. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with that one.

Just for reference, I am the former Planner/Scheduler for LBT, having retired in May 2012 after 36 years with the company, to take a similar job here in Monterey, CA. LBT is currently going through a major corporate re-organization by the new CEO, and several of the top officials have been removed. I don't know the details, as no one I worked with is talking.

LBT just approved 2 contracts. First with Gillig for 8 - 40 (42) foot coaches. Specs will be the same as the last order. Contract for that one is just over $4.5m. The other one is with New Flyer for 13 - 60 foot Excelsior CNG's with Cummins engines. They were the only company to bid on that RFP. Contract is for just over $12.5m.

They are having some major problems now with the BYD electric bus monies from the feds. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with that one.

Just for reference, I am the former Planner/Scheduler for LBT, having retired in May 2012 after 36 years with the company, to take a similar job here in Monterey, CA. LBT is currently going through a major corporate re-organization by the new CEO, and several of the top officials have been removed. I don't know the details, as no one I worked with is talking.

Have been following that BYD issues, that is looking worse every board meeting update. Not a huge fan of Proterra but they are looking better all the time. LBT may need to cut their losses on the BYD order and either award it to Proterra or re-bid it out.

Wow 36 years with LBT congrats on that, you have seen a lot of changes I can imagine in all those years. Would love to have you in our group on Facebook if you are interested? It is Southern Cal Transit Fans.

https://www.facebook...CalTransitfans/

Was worried when Larry Jackson retired something like this would happen. New guy has a different style and it is bound to cause some friction and changes. Plus I am sure a few people are a bit annoyed they didn't promote from within for the position or at least recruit former LBT employees that have gone on to lead other systems.

LBT and BYD have mutually agreed to cancel the 10 bus order.

http://www.lbtransit...ateContract.pdf

As much as I liked the BYD demo bus, and the high hopes I had, honestly since the FTA is paying for it anyway LBT is just better off building the charging infrastructure and buying Proterras. A charging station could be placed at Pine & 10th or even better at the Queen Mary. The transit gallery would be ideal, but there is no room for it on Pine Ave.

I'd bet on BYD winning again, since they make so many promises about jobs in California.

Who knows though. Will be interesting if New Flyer bids on it. They recently did bid on an electric bus procurement and they have deals to provide a very small number of electric buses to Chicago and Winnipeg.

Zeke, why do you think LBT is best off building charging infrastructure and buying Proterras? Because they have more experience providing buses in this country? Because the charging infrastructure and fast charging provides for a bus that is more flexible and versatile?