Long Beach Transit (California)

Nabinut

Highlighting the transit systems in Southern California, the first on my list is Long Beach Transit. This system covers Long Beach and the surrounding areas. Their entire fleet sans the Passport shuttles are New Flyers from 1996 to 2009 with their newest being LFA Hybrid featuring a new paint scheme. Here are some content from this system:

9706 at the Long Beach Transit Mall

WCT3171.jpg

In this photo, a pair of 9600s led by 9612 and 2201 also at the Transit Mall. The 9600s are the oldest LBT buses in service:

WCT3172.jpg

2902 is a 2009 New Flyer GE42LFA. This is one of 22 LFAs in service:

WCT3170.jpg

Here are some night shots, showcasing the various colorful signs employed by LBT:

2236 on Route 112:

WCT3027.jpg

2404, part of the first batch of Hybrids is seen here promoting the Grand Prix event taking place in Downtown Long Beach:

WCT3023.jpg

One of my favorite photos...LBT 2426 at Norwalk Green Line Station. I rode this bus and pulled out this incredible shot

WCT3029.jpg

Now for the Videos:

Long Beach Transit New Flyer GE40LF #2426: Ford Trition V10/ISE Thundervolt Hybrid Drive

Long Beach Transit New Flyer GE42LFA #2917: Ford Trition V10/ISE Thundervolt Hybrid Drive:

I have heard some rumors that LBT will be experimenting with CNG buses. Of course, this may be their only option if LBT wants to buy articulated buses, as emissions laws in southern CA don't allow diesel electric hybrids despite comparable emissions to CNG, and that no manufacturer is willing to produce a gasoline-electric hybrid articulated bus (New Flyer won't even make a CNG artic).

I was wondering though, are any of LBT's garages equipped with CNG? As far as I know LBT never operated CNG buses in the past.

• 4 months later...
Anyone have a list of the destination codes for Long Beach Transit? I bought a Twin Vision LED Destination sign which came out of ex-Long Beach New Flyer #9420 and I don't know any codes.

Any help is most appreciated :P

I know someone (or two) who might have them. I'll ask around tonight and get back to you tomorrow :P

• 4 months later...
Anyone have a list of the destination codes for Long Beach Transit? I bought a Twin Vision LED Destination sign which came out of ex-Long Beach New Flyer #9420 and I don't know any codes.

Any help is most appreciated :(

Haha that's too funny...

What parts do you have?

I can probably get it for you if you promise not to put it on a vehicle and drive around with it haha.

Actually, if you -- or anyone -- knows anyone who has software to program Luminator signs I'd love to hear from you.

• 2 months later...
Source?

Besides hearing from my friend that works there, this is from the April 25, 2011 board meeting:

4/25 meeting

agenda item #6

"Authorize the President and CEO to enter into a contract with Gillig Corporation for the purchase of 33 CNG buses at a total contract cost not to exceed $17,548,318 including sales tax. This amount includes bus inspection services, training, technical support, spare parts and a contingency to accommodate any LBT initiated features or changes to the coaches".

• 4 weeks later...
CNG is next after ISE's bankrupcy which stoped manufacturing Gas Hybrid?

No. ISE was purchased by Bluways, and they are going to continue manufacturing the Gas Hybrid, along with all the other systems they had in the works at ISE. LBT will be looking to purchase more Gas Hybrids when it is time to replace the NFI GE's.

I can confirm that Gillig CNG's have been ordered.

I can confirm as well.

• 1 month later...
Why aren't they ordering Xcelsiors????? Get some DE40LFRs atleast....

The entire fleet being New Flyer then all of a sudden go Gillig? That seems so random....

Cannot buy DE40LFRs, current emissions regulations in SoCal does not allow TAs to purchase diesel buses in any form, even if in a hybrid configuration.

As for why not going for New Flyer C40LFRs or XC40s, I am sure Gillig gave LBT a sweet deal.

• 5 weeks later...
Here's a photo of one of the new CNG Gillig BRT units in testing, via Flickr user So Cal Metro:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/6169895789/

Here is link to more pics of the new CNG bus. Its a "test" bus according to an employee from LBT. The full order should arrive early next year it seems.

http://lbtgilligphotos.shutterfly.com/