"Transit Stuff" store closing

Ed Drass

The official TTC merchandise shop in Union subway station is closing. I believe the last day is Friday. TTC-themed shirts $10. There are some Ted Wickson heritage postcards there too.

Every time I'm at Union Station it's always closed. It'd help somewhat if you didn't need a fare to access the store. Perhaps if they moved it to a more suitable location where tourists as well as locals could easily see and get to it?

The store was an embarrassment. It seemed more like a tacky tourist stand you would find on Yonge St.

It really did seem like a half-assed hearted attempt. Sure, you'd go in there once to maybe have a look around, but after that you just pass by it on the way to your train.

Part of the customer flow problem may be the split mezzanine at Union: all the people going to the east end won't walk by it or have access to it unless they intentionally go to platform level and head to the other side. Like it was mentioned before, a higher-traffic area like outside the fare zone might help sales more.

The official TTC merchandise shop in Union subway station is closing. I believe the last day is Friday.

Good riddance! They had merchandise that looked like knock-offs IMO, and was lacking in variety. Meanwhile, Spacing's buttons and those subway map and icon shirts that other people made look ten times better. And surprisingly didn't need a booth inside TTC property to be popular, muchless sold.

That's the place where I bought my bag and my hat. Time to stack on the hats and vests if any! :P

Now I wonder if there might be reopening at a different location. IIRC, isn't there a place north of Steeles that sells TTC clothing of sorts?

The store was an embarrassment. It seemed more like a tacky tourist stand you would find on Yonge St.

It's too bad that transit enthusiasts can't open up a shop and sell TTC related items, since royalties would be the order of the day. :\

I'm sure there's a few people here who could design clothing that is definitely more trendy than what the TTC shop sells....

It's too bad that transit enthusiasts can't open up a shop and sell TTC related items, since royalties would be the order of the day. :\

I'm sure there's a few people here who could design clothing that is definitely more trendy than what the TTC shop sells....

Partner up with Spacing and some of their suppliers and set up shop say in the Queens Quay Terminal which has a few vacant storefronts. It'd be easily accessible to just about everyone, tourists and locals alike. Plus it'd be in keeping with the CanCon regulation amongst the tenants. It seems like ALL the stores and restaurants are Canadian, hence most are boutique shops. Hopefully the more public location will encourage or even force them to get better quality merchandise. Another possible location would be the Merchant's Concourse in the redevelopped Union Station once it's actually built. But that's a few years down the road! It'd kinda be like those gift shops you find in airports selling merchandise branded with that particular city's image.

Good riddance! They had merchandise that looked like knock-offs IMO, and was lacking in variety. Meanwhile, Spacing's buttons and those subway map and icon shirts that other people made look ten times better. And surprisingly didn't need a booth inside TTC property to be popular, muchless sold.

Not really surprised given the high rent district location, I doubt TTC even cut them a break on the rent either. Way too overpriced, dowdy, poor graphics/design, etc,. for my liking. Hey, guess what, heard maybe that's why TTC just renewed their contract for another 5 years! :P Typical. :lol: Personally I don't think Legacy will last another 5 months if they keep shilling the current TTC line-up.

Not really surprised given the high rent district location, I doubt TTC even cut them a break on the rent either. Way too overpriced, dowdy, poor graphics/design, etc,. for my liking. Hey, guess what, heard maybe that's why TTC just renewed their contract for another 5 years! :P Typical. :lol: Personally I don't think Legacy will last another 5 months if they keep shilling the current TTC line-up.

LOL I thought the TTC owned the store.

It was an eye sore. TTC needs some one else to sell their clothing, at least Urban Planet or something, a place were people will think it's style and everyone goes to. Like a little freshie shirt :P people will wear, they can get from an urban clothing store. But I don't know, I guess it was chaper going to who they went with.

The TTC has such a great history too, with many books published. The shop could have sold Mike Filey's books, and even John Bromley's great book from the 1970's. If anyone read it, the book contained track maps of the streetcar system, and the subway up to 1972! As well as rosters for the streetcars, and subway. That book would have sold well.

Books, buttons, posters... The TTC really missed the ball on this one. Hopefully the proposed museum has a better gift shop.

The TTC has such a great history too, with many books published. The shop could have sold Mike Filey's books, and even John Bromley's great book from the 1970's. If anyone read it, the book contained track maps of the streetcar system, and the subway up to 1972! As well as rosters for the streetcars, and subway. That book would have sold well.

Books, buttons, posters... The TTC really missed the ball on this one. Hopefully the proposed museum has a better gift shop.

That's if the museum ever gets built, and that hinges on if the TTC relocates and builds their new HQ at Yonge & York Mills.

I think they used to sell those books from the gift shop inside Toronto City Hall which has since been closed and turned into another office. I believe they also carried a few TTC items. It wasn't a very big gift shop, but they did fill it with quite a lot of merchandise.

ok, then if it was so bad quality, then why do many TTC operators wear it? (including people on this board) also why do TTC operators also say that its much better quality than the TTC Uniform pieces that are standard issue, also how can the stuff Legacy has be knock off's? when TTC is too dam lazy to do it themselves?

Another question for you, how can Legacy's stuff be crap or knock-off, when they already go to the different divisions (where operators are able and do in large numbers buy stuff) as well as they are at the Rodeo every year, and there is always a crowd at the booth.

I honestly am sad to see the store closing, but as several people have already stated, they are never open when I'm able to get to Union, as I work full time and am not able to get to Union till around 4:45-5pm.

i was at Legacy's head office to pick up my new wallet yesterday, and they were very busy with custom orders, and merchandise for the 2010 TTC rodeo (which I got to see the 2010 logo) I may be personally doing business with them, as I will be trying to push my higher ups on the idea of VIVA branded Merchandse for the staff. already got interest in Jackets, and Pins with the drivers....

how can Legacy's stuff be crap or knock-off, when they already go to the different divisions (where operators are able and do in large numbers buy stuff) as well as they are at the Rodeo every year, and there is always a crowd at the booth.

Becuase the merchandise came to them at the Rodeo instead of them coming to Union Station. Because the employee's are probably 98% of the market and probably require no retail space doing so. Whether they do or don't, I don't care.

and there is always a crowd at the booth.

I certainly hope you meant a booth at the Rodeo...

I honestly am sad to see the store closing, but as several people have already stated, they are never open when I'm able to get to Union, as I work full time and am not able to get to Union till around 4:45-5pm.

What the YouTuber kids call "fail".

Maybe they'll try again when they get a museum together. Or move with Head Office. Whether they do or not, whatever. But now's the time to re-evaluate, if they're looking to reach the general public. Seeing as how $3.00 fares, sleeping collectors and impaired drivers are still the "i'm so pissed off" raves. It won't be easy. Maybe they'll look at other transit authorities for ideas as that seems to be the norm.

Maybe we're overlooking the fact that the average Torontonian couldn't care less about owning TTC clothing or memorabilia?

That doesn't mean that there couldn't still be some way to get the items if a person wanted them, but a retail store may be a little too much.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a chance to see the closed storefront on the weekend and the notice posted on the door says that they were closing due to the upcoming station improvement project. Is it too naive of me to believe that this is the first visible sign that the second platform at Union will be making an appearance soon?