Blue Line/Southwest Transitway

DavidW

Just noticed this on the Winnipeg Transit website, under advisories:

So the Transitway was used in service for 16 Osborne buses detouring around a motor vehicle accident.

Anyone get their first in-service ride on the transitway?

Just noticed this on the Winnipeg Transit website, under advisories:

So the Transitway was used in service for 16 Osborne buses detouring around a motor vehicle accident.

Anyone get their first in-service ride on the transitway?

Well hello! That's an interesting piece of information.

The Transitway opens for service 08 April 2012, two months from tomorrow.

The maps of the revised routes are now posted here.

The routes are:

60 Pembina

64 Lindenwoods Express

65 Grant Express

66 Grant

84 Whyte Ridge – Pembina

86 Whyte Ridge – Pembina

95 Polo Park – Shaftesbury Park – Pan Am Pool – Riverview

99 Osborne Village – Downtown

137 Richmond Super Express

160 University of Manitoba – Downtown

161 University Super Express

162 St. Norbert – University of Manitoba – Downtown

163 Waverley Heights Express

170 St. Norbert – University of Manitoba – Downtown

180 Industrial Express

181 Whyte Ridge Express

183 Richmond West Express

185 Osborne Village Express

The Transitway opens for service 08 April 2012, two months from tomorrow.

The maps of the revised routes are now posted here.

The routes are:

60 Pembina

64 Lindenwoods Express

65 Grant Express

66 Grant

84 Whyte Ridge – Pembina

86 Whyte Ridge – Pembina

95 Polo Park – Shaftesbury Park – Pan Am Pool – Riverview

99 Osborne Village – Downtown

137 Richmond Super Express

160 University of Manitoba – Downtown

161 University Super Express

162 St. Norbert – University of Manitoba – Downtown

163 Waverley Heights Express

170 St. Norbert – University of Manitoba – Downtown

180 Industrial Express

181 Whyte Ridge Express

183 Richmond West Express

185 Osborne Village Express

Underlined: Guess I should get pictures of the last rollsigns before SWRTC makes them obsolete. :( On the other hand though, more D40s for the other routes so I might see more in my area. If I'm lucky.

Bold: I'd like to ride the 99 through the Exchange/Osborne. Why is it 99 though, lack of numbers or is it labelled as an "feeder route"?

Looking at the schedules of the new routes I see the 60 runs from 7 to 1900 on Sunday and holidays, and the 160 runs from 0700 to 0100. So how do you get to the University if you're at Pembina and Taylor after 1900. How would you get there from downtown? Am I reading it right (it is kind of early)? I guess you have to take a Grant or something and walk?

Looking at the schedules of the new routes I see the 60 runs from 7 to 1900 on Sunday and holidays, and the 160 runs from 0700 to 0100. So how do you get to the University if you're at Pembina and Taylor after 1900. How would you get there from downtown? Am I reading it right (it is kind of early)? I guess you have to take a Grant or something and walk?

They should at least put in 45/60 min frequencies for the 60 on Sunday nights, preferrably so if someone were to miss the 60, they can walk up to Grant and catch an 66 half an hour later, instead of walk up, miss THAT one and then have to wait 45 minutes for a bus!

In terms of the service hours by the 60, I think that it should run full time as with the 160 but the local 60 can short turn at Windermere terminal as with the 29, 84 and 86 where if you wanted to continue from the U of M to somewhere north of Jubilee on Pembina, you can get off the 160 at Windermere and transfer onto the local 60. This would eliminate the duplicate service by the 160 and 60 south of Jubilee as well as free up unnecessary buses. I think short turning the 60 at Windermere should happen most of the time, with the exception of peak hours/midday. Of course this would only work if there were TIMED transfers with the 160 and 60. WT is notorious for making schedules very tough for one to transfer.

For the existing problem that's based on the current routings, I'd think that you'd take a 160 to Windermere and transfer to a 29 if it's running and not too long of a wait and go to Stafford and Taylor. The 66 option also works too.

I think the complete absence of transit service on Pembina Highway between Grant and Jubilee weekdays and Saturdays after 10PM and Sundays after 7PM is the biggest hole in the service plan I've noticed, too.

I'm also concerned by the lack of service, connecting or otherwise, between the University of Manitoba and Osborne Village for the same hours. It will still be possible to take a Transitway bus to Osborne Station and hike the 2.5 blocks to Osborne/McMillan to catch a 16 or 18 to the village, but that 2.5 block walk (even if they are short blocks) outdoors in winter, in the middle of a trip, is pretty lousy. Add in crappy connections and the whole thing kinda stinks. It's worse than the old days when inbound 60's took the midtown bridge, forcing a transfer at confusion corner one way.

I thought maybe something doing the River/Stradbrook loop (a-la 99 or 185) and running through one or more of the Transitway Stations (for easy connection to rt routes) would do the trick, but a late-night 60 (even if only from Windermere to River/Osborne) would work too.

I think the complete absence of transit service on Pembina Highway between Grant and Jubilee weekdays and Saturdays after 10PM and Sundays after 7PM is the biggest hole in the service plan I've noticed, too.

I'm also concerned by the lack of service, connecting or otherwise, between the University of Manitoba and Osborne Village for the same hours. It will still be possible to take a Transitway bus to Osborne Station and hike the 2.5 blocks to Osborne/McMillan to catch a 16 or 18 to the village, but that 2.5 block walk (even if they are short blocks) outdoors in winter, in the middle of a trip, is pretty lousy. Add in crappy connections and the whole thing kinda stinks. It's worse than the old days when inbound 60's took the midtown bridge, forcing a transfer at confusion corner one way.

I thought maybe something doing the River/Stradbrook loop (a-la 99 or 185) and running through one or more of the Transitway Stations (for easy connection to rt routes) would do the trick, but a late-night 60 (even if only from Windermere to River/Osborne) would work too.

Or keep the 99 going all night/Sundays but reduce it to an D30LF and possibly make it just an River/Stradford loop that stops at Harkness

Or keep the 99 going all night/Sundays but reduce it to an D30LF and possibly make it just an River/Stradford loop that stops at Harkness

I like the idea of a River/Stradbrook via Harkness Station loop route. I wonder how many circuits could be made with one unit. Four/hour? Six/hour? Might need a bus bay on Stradbrook at Harkness Station for the end-of-route layover point.

I think the 99 has one really significant defect... it only stops at Harkness Station inbound. It works to get Osborne Villagers to the Transitway, but it's not available to get them home from it. After 6PM when the 185 quits (and all weekend when it doesn't run) Osborne Village (and I mean at and near River and Osborne) is cut off from the rt.

I like the idea of a River/Stradbrook via Harkness Station loop route. I wonder how many circuits could be made with one unit. Four/hour? Six/hour? Might need a bus bay on Stradbrook at Harkness Station for the end-of-route layover point.

I think the 99 has one really significant defect... it only stops at Harkness Station inbound. It works to get Osborne Villagers to the Transitway, but it's not available to get them home from it. After 6PM when the 185 quits (and all weekend when it doesn't run) Osborne Village (and I mean at and near River and Osborne) is cut off from the rt.

It could always stop at the apartment complex. An 30-50 metre walk to Harkness wouldn't be too bad. However, the owner of that building might not approve of that. Instead, maybe it can have layovers at River/Osborne. And as you said, it could have 10-15 minute frequencies. With that kind of travel time, people might not mind going beyond the half-way point to get home. With incoming passengers, the bus should always see an steady flow! Too bad the streets are one-way, would've suggested an Calgarian solution (99 CCW, 199 CW)

Edit: BETTER IDEA!!! Route 60 after-hours and on Sunday, can run from Windemere to the River/Stradbrook 99 loop! Covers gap in service in both areas and preserves enough frequency to make it viable.

I don't think his bus stop will disappear. He can still get on a 60 or 62 and transfer at Clarance. I suppose as the date gets closer more and more people will start complaining about nothing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transit corridor not so rapid for some

CBC News

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 5:07 PM CST

At least one south Winnipeg commuter is considering taking his car to work because the new rapid transit service will add extra time to his daily travel.

Winnipeg's new rapid transit corridor, to launch April 8 through Fort Rouge and Fort Garry is supposed to bring faster service and environmental benefits for those using the city's public transportation system.

But for Philippe Bardet the new rapid transitway will mean his local bus stop will be phased out.

Bardet boards a bus at Stafford Street and Pembina Highway every morning for a quick ride to his job in the Fort Garry Industrial park. "I don't mind taking the bus," he said.

But when Bardet's bus stop disappears he'll then have to use a different stop, transfer, and ride two buses to and from work. Transit officials acknowledge some riders will have to transfer as a result of the changes.

Bardet predicts the change will add ten minutes to his commute, so he may actually decide to take his car to work. "If it takes me 35 minutes, most likely I will switch back to my car and basically do the five- to 10-minute trip," he said. "I don't think it's the city's goal to increase the amount of cars on the streets," he noted.

Transit officials say very few riders will have to transfer and most people will find their trip faster and more convenient. Transit will post details on the new routes next week.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/02/09/mb-winnipeg-rapid-transit-trouble.html?cmp=rss

I don't think his bus stop will disappear. He can still get on a 60 or 62 and transfer at Clarance. I suppose as the date gets closer more and more people will start complaining about nothing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transit corridor not so rapid for some

CBC News

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 5:07 PM CST

At least one south Winnipeg commuter is considering taking his car to work because the new rapid transit service will add extra time to his daily travel.

Winnipeg's new rapid transit corridor, to launch April 8 through Fort Rouge and Fort Garry is supposed to bring faster service and environmental benefits for those using the city's public transportation system.

But for Philippe Bardet the new rapid transitway will mean his local bus stop will be phased out.

Bardet boards a bus at Stafford Street and Pembina Highway every morning for a quick ride to his job in the Fort Garry Industrial park. "I don't mind taking the bus," he said.

But when Bardet's bus stop disappears he'll then have to use a different stop, transfer, and ride two buses to and from work. Transit officials acknowledge some riders will have to transfer as a result of the changes.

Bardet predicts the change will add ten minutes to his commute, so he may actually decide to take his car to work. "If it takes me 35 minutes, most likely I will switch back to my car and basically do the five- to 10-minute trip," he said. "I don't think it's the city's goal to increase the amount of cars on the streets," he noted.

Transit officials say very few riders will have to transfer and most people will find their trip faster and more convenient. Transit will post details on the new routes next week.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...le.html?cmp=rss

Impatient much? Me to work:

Weekdays: 26 to Polo (3-5 minutes), 21/22 (15,7 minutes) = 10-20 mins

Weekdays HOME: 11 (5-7 minutes), walk 12-15, 20 minutes

Saturdays: Walk to Portage 12-15, bus 12-15

saturdays HOME: 11 (3-5 minutes, last bus of day), 12-15 min walk, 20 minutes

SUNDAYS! Same as Saturdays. Or if I go with the 14 Downtown, 15 minutes. 26/21/22 or 24, 15-20 minutes

I'm not complaining...

No 62 anymore, but the 60, 84, 86, and 29 will all take him from Pembina/Stafford or Stafford/Pembina to Pembina/Windermere or Windermere loop. Alas, his 180 or 181 to work will probably stop only farside Pembina/Windermere which means from the 84, 86 or 29 he'll have to walk from the alley behind the Subway. Coming home will be worse, with the nearside Pembina/Point stop requiring a walk up to Pembina/Calrossie to have a choice of the same four routes up to Stafford/Pembina.

Anyone want to guess what the daytime weekday frequency of the 60 will be? Maybe three times/hour?

No 62 anymore, but the 60, 84, 86, and 29 will all take him from Pembina/Stafford or Stafford/Pembina to Pembina/Windermere or Windermere loop. Alas, his 180 or 181 to work will probably stop only farside Pembina/Windermere which means from the 84, 86 or 29 he'll have to walk from the alley behind the Subway. Coming home will be worse, with the nearside Pembina/Point stop requiring a walk up to Pembina/Calrossie to have a choice of the same four routes up to Stafford/Pembina.

Anyone want to guess what the daytime weekday frequency of the 60 will be? Maybe three times/hour?

20 minutes wouldn't be bad.

Also, Winnipeg Transit site updated for:

rt

- Tons of new pictures, most notably of 164/165, the tunnels, Fort Rouge Station and extensive shots of the inside of an low floor bus (which everybody should be used to by now IMO...)

- Colored schedule maps!

- Finally replacing the DE60LFR and the Xcelisor with the D40LFR in "Vehicles" and lastly,

- Apparently, an larger real-time display at Balmoral Station

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to believe that opening day is only six and a half weeks away. Is Osborne Station the only piece left to finish? I walked around the station on the weekend and there are still many details to finish up. I could see framing for the glass curtain wall on the east end of the station, joining the larger "tube" of the station to the smaller "tube" of the bus entrance. It'll be like the bus goes through a rabbit-hole into the very large interior space, all glass and steel.

I'm getting very anxious to see the actual service schedules. I'm bracing myself for a longer trip to work every morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been quite curious to find out if rapid transit will actually be faster for my own trips between home and work. I live near Osborne/River and I work at the U of M. My concern is the reroute of service between Osborne Village and the UofM via River and Stradbrook Avenues and Harkness Station might turn out to be longer.

I've been collecting data for a while now, and here are the trip averages by month from November to today. As a note I usually travel to the UofM during the morning rush, mostly on 61's, but my trip home is around 6PM, after rush and after the end of 61 service.

From Osb/Riv to UnivStn (17 trips): 21.7647 min.; Avg Depart: 7:53

17 61

From UnivStn to Osb/Riv (15 trips): 23.6667 min.; Avg Depart: 17:51

10 60

5 61

From Osb/Riv to UnivStn (10 trips): 21.9 min.; Avg Depart: 7:56

1 60

9 61

From UnivStn to Osb/Riv (7 trips): 24.7143 min.; Avg Depart: 17:42

5 60

2 61

From Osb/Riv to UnivStn (13 trips): 21.2308 min.; Avg Depart: 7:55

13 61

From UnivStn to Osb/Riv (13 trips): 25.5385 min.; Avg Depart: 18:30

12 60

1 61

From Osb/Riv to UnivStn (17 trips): 23.4706 min.; Avg Depart: 7:58

3 60

14 61

From UnivStn to Osb/Riv (15 trips): 24.3333 min.; Avg Depart: 18:17

15 60

From Osb/Riv to UnivStn (3 trips): 22 min.; Avg Depart: 7:57

3 61

From UnivStn to Osb/Riv (3 trips): 23 min.; Avg Depart: 18:06

3 60

Grand Average

From Osb/Riv to UnivStn (60 trips): 22.1667 min.; Avg Depart: 7:56

4 60

56 61

Grand Average

From UnivStn to Osb/Riv (53 trips): 24.4151 min.; Avg Depart: 18:08

45 60

8 61

Detailed schedules for service in the rt world are now on-line and in Navigo.

Finally! Now our "ride the first RT bus" Facebook group will actually have an idea where it will be :D

First RT bus is Route 170 at 6 am sharp, Balmoral Station

First University bus is Route 160 at 6:17, again Balmoral Station

http://www.facebook.com/events/368721496477080/ - The first RT bus event. Pretty sure someone here would be interested in joining this event. Most likely DavidW since he has the history of Winnipeg Transit on his website, and opening day pictures would be an awesome addition!